What's your favorite model to OPEN?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

What's your favorite model to OPEN?

Post by Evil D »

Absolutely nothing else. Ignore steel, as much of the rest of the ergonomics as you can, focus just on the knives you have and simply how they feel to open and do nothing else...which is most satisfying in this one action and why?

List as many as you like for whatever specific reasons, why the heck not.

Rock Jumper: It's my favorite opening back lock, or at least of the ones I have and admittedly it's less than most but of the ones I have the opening effort is so easy and smooth, yet it still manages to have plenty of self close bias.

Military, specifically my 52100: Something about the way it clacks when it opens. You fellow Military owners know what I mean.

Vallotton Sub-Hilt: Another one like the Rock Jumper that just feels absolutely supurb to open, the way the thumb hole stocks out like a hump on a bayonet makes the opening circle just perfect.

Autonomy 1: Because you don't really open it as much as you fire it. I could see someone actually flinging one across the room if they held it loosely while pressing the button. And speaking of the button, it occurred to me that the shape and feel of the button reminds me of a typical thumb hole, and if that was intentional then it's just a small detail of genius that is totally overlooked.

Yojimbo 2: If you can master middle finger flicking it open, the mass of the blade makes it really satisfying. I also tweaked the handle on mine to uncover more of the hole so maybe that's cheating.

Nilakka: I love how tiny the thumb hole is, but it still just works. It works in part because the hole is nice and crisp so you get plenty of traction on it. It's practically the exact opposite in design compared to a Rock Jumper but it's still so effective.

D'Allara 2: This one gets a sort of honorable mention because the lack of an adequate detent means you can inertia open this knife like it was designed for it. This one also has a lot of blade mass which just exaggerates the action.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
skeeg11

Re: What's your favorite model to OPEN?

Post by skeeg11 »

SpydieChef for me. It is the most easily Spydieflickable knife I own. If you've been carrying a different knife, you actually have to make a conscious effort to not over flick. I am not a fidget kinda guy. It's just that there is less hand adjustment necessary when Spydie flicking than rolling out the blade with your thumb.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

skeeg11 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:36 pm
SpydieChef for me. It is the most easily Spydieflickable knife I own. If you've been carrying a different knife, you actually have to make a conscious effort to not over flick. I am not a fidget kinda guy. It's just that there is less hand adjustment necessary when Spydie flicking than rolling out the blade with your thumb.

I get this. This is how I am with my Caribbeans. I thumb flick them open almost involuntarily.
~David
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Tie between any well tuned PM2 and my Maxamet Sage 1.

But the best is a Sebenza :winking-tongue
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

Based on the op criteria, the GB1 has s it for me. That low resistance but heavy “clack” of the thick liner is like nothing else.

Any compression lock or liner lock done well is also up there, but I feel the GB just reigns supreme when it comes to opening alone. Interestingly enough, IMO, it’s also one of the worst locks to disengage until modified.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Wandering_About wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:59 pm
Tie between any well tuned PM2 and my Maxamet Sage 1.

Outside of my Spyderco inventory, my Sebenza does have that seductive hydrolicky feel to it, but I have to say that my Lochsa trumps it. :winking-tongue
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wandering_About wrote:

I'm sure the pivot action is nice but my thumbs can never lower themselves to use a thumb stud again 🤣

When CRK start using thumb holes they might get some of my money.
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The Military. It is easy to open under any conditions and the liner clicks into place with authority.

My Sage3 and Sage4 are insanely satisfyingly smooth and the locks even seem to engage smoothly.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

It's the GB2, Bombshell, and Manix 2 backlock for me. They all lock up with authority after a smooth slow roll opening.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I second the Rock Jumper. One of the smoothest opening and closing knives I have.

The other satisfying opening knife would be my Manix 2s. I think riding on that ball bearing ensures a smooth opening. Not so much on the close though.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
timlara

Post by timlara »

My Sage 3 with the bolt action lock is the smoothest knife I own. It feels like a balisong that locks.
Tim
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

Sage 1 Maxamet - I don’t know what it is, but the fit and finish is through the roof. Spydie flick, index finger flick, thumb nail flick, pad of thumb flick, all with left or right hand and opens with authority. Perfect action. Perfect. Best of any knife I have ever owned.

I also really like Spydie flicking my wife’s Delica.

All of my Para 3s are nice but nothing like the Sage 1.

Thumb rolling my Chaparrals is also very satisfying.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:06 pm
Wandering_About wrote:

I'm sure the pivot action is nice but my thumbs can never lower themselves to use a thumb stud again 🤣

When CRK start using thumb holes they might get some of my money.
I'll admit the thumb studs are not quite as nice as a Spyder Hole. But they work fine, and part of the appeal of a Sebenza for me that they are just so slim and trim, since they don't need to have room for the hole. Overall I really enjoy Sebenzas (and the Inkosi as well) but they are much different than Spydercos.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
chrisclarkux

Post by chrisclarkux »

I can index-finger-flick my Harpy but not my Delica.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

first to mind was the SMOCK. I only had it for a short while (wasn't my style), but the Smock is unbelievably fun with that tang/flipper thing + spydie hole + button smock lock.

Glad to hear all the Sage love! Manix is up there for me as well.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Manix M4 G10. The action almost feels hydraulic. There is a very slight, but very smooth, resistance. I did take it apart to get it that way.

Other than some bizarre exception, I can get any of my compression locks behave the way I like them. Smooth sweep to open, or any finger flick, and a nice smooth drop shut action.
Peter
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Para 3 (for obvious reasons) and Endura, believe it or not, I enjoy how it feels when it clicks in place. I also have a zip tie on it.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Soanso McMasters wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:01 pm
Sage 1 Maxamet - I don’t know what it is, but the fit and finish is through the roof. Spydie flick, index finger flick, thumb nail flick, pad of thumb flick, all with left or right hand and opens with authority. Perfect action. Perfect. Best of any knife I have ever owned.

I also really like Spydie flicking my wife’s Delica.

All of my Para 3s are nice but nothing like the Sage 1.

Thumb rolling my Chaparrals is also very satisfying.
YES! I love to open my chap like this!
"Some call me...Tim?"
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Squarehead - The Squarehead, both Titanium and FRN, is one that I’ve caught myself subconsciously “fidgeting” with at times. (Especially when it’s slow at work and I’m scrolling the Spyderco forums on my phone… :shush :grin-squint )

It’s so small and such a convenient little package that it’s like a “functional fidget lock.” Just a small sort of benign blade shape with one of the largest Spyderholes (if not the largest) of any Spyderco and a lock that is easy to manipulate. It is also easily concealed and doesn’t draw much attention.

In the past, I’ve compared it to a worry stone. Not as something to rub with my thumb but in the sense that it’s a small object that I can use for “anxiety relief” or “mental relaxation.” Just opening and closing it repeatedly as something to occupy my hands, if that makes sense. Just one of the many reasons why I like it so much.

Smock - Just recently got my first Smock and immediately understood the “fidget” hype for that knife. Once it’s in your hand that blade just wants to be open. The button lock is so easy to use and the blade is drop shut so it’s like a double action folder. It opens and closes smoothly without ever needing to touch the blade. It’s just undeniably fun. :cheap-sunglasses

Autonomy 1 - I definitely agree with the Autonomy 1. It opens with an authority and has a distinct “thwack” that makes for a very satisfying action to open. The button being shaped like a Spyderhole is definitely intentional and I’ve noticed it before as well. In my opinion it’s an ingenious way of integrating their trademarked Spyderhole into a push button automatic. It’s not that difficult to close with one hand, so it’s another one that I’ve actually found myself “fidgeting” with it sometimes because of how satisfying it is to open.

Sage 3 - It’s still the smoothest opening Spyderco I own!!

Magnitude - I’ll give an honorable mention to the Magnitude because it doesn’t get enough love! It’s a flipper with a big blade and wicked comfortable handle. It’s another one that opens with authority and has a really satisfying lockup!
-Nick :bug-red
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

I'll go with the Tropen. Mine is buttery smooth so even though the detent is a little weak, it just glides open. It's actually so satisfying to open with the flipper that I don't ever use the wave.