What's your favorite model to OPEN?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SRT392HEMI

Re: What's your favorite model to OPEN?

Post by SRT392HEMI »

Fav might be a Para 3 that I tuned and polished until silky smooth. Also have a Manix G10 that came staight from Golden quite buttery. Both are pleasing to open in any of the usual ways.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

Gayle Bradley 1 and Military. Honorable mention, Techno.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

by far, my smoothest spyderco is the caribbean. it's a real joy to use and fidget with. what others complain about being a weak detent, i call smooth perfection.

a close second is my yojimbo, just because of the mass of the blade.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
z1r

Post by z1r »

Soanso McMasters wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:01 pm

Thumb rolling my Chaparrals is also very satisfying.
Agreed, feel the same way about my DF2's as well.

As far as Fidget Factor, my G10 Manix 2 is the most drop shutty and opening knife I own. It's just heavy, so I don't carry it often. I rank my G10 PM2 right behind it, so smooth, almost effortless. Followed closely by my CruCarta PM2.

I love the way my Endela opens. The thunk it makes when it locks is very satisfying. It's not my easiest opening knife nor is it the most difficult. All in all, I'd call it just right. Probably why its in my pocket every day.

And to be fair, the Para 3 I recently got and complained LOUDLY about has broken in and is much more repeatable and satisfying. I'm starting to warm up to it.
remnar

Post by remnar »

blueblur wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:00 pm
Based on the op criteria, the GB1 has s it for me. That low resistance but heavy “clack” of the thick liner is like nothing else.

Any compression lock or liner lock done well is also up there, but I feel the GB just reigns supreme when it comes to opening alone. Interestingly enough, IMO, it’s also one of the worst locks to disengage until modified.
I immediately thought of the GB1 and I agree with this 100%. There is no other with quite the same "clack". :bug-red-white
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Paraguy wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:46 pm
Para 3 (for obvious reasons) and Endura, believe it or not, I enjoy how it feels when it clicks in place. I also have a zip tie on it.

I totally believe you! ;)

When asked what´s my favorite model to open, it has to be a backlock knife for sure, and out of those I´d probably go with the Endura too. Especially the ones with a bit heavier blades (so the sabre grind versions - just when it comes to opening, not performance)

Discussed in a recent thread: I am one who likes to flick open his folders, with each finger of at least my right hand. Just as a for me very practical, fast and secure way of doing so, not like in using the knife as a "fidgeting toy" (and I´ll repeat: Thumb rolling is as good as "flicking open" of course and sure a bit "healthier" for the knife in the long run).

Now I do like when the knife offers a bit more resistance to flicking it open (or also thumb rolling) like lockbacks do

On the other hand I find it a bit "boring" when a knife flies open just by a light touch of the thumb. This is what especially my Tenacious LW in S35 VN does. Never had a knife (not even a comp.lock) that opens so easily, while still being NOT "drop shutty" (something I don´t need at all) and still holding the blade extremely tight closed for a detent based lock.
But as said; This easy opening is what I actually do not like (also not in the few comp.locks I´ve owned), though I can respect how well done such a knife is technically speaking.
I prefer the feel of a backlock, where the fingers have to do a bit more work.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:50 am
Paraguy wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:46 pm
Para 3 (for obvious reasons) and Endura, believe it or not, I enjoy how it feels when it clicks in place. I also have a zip tie on it.

I totally believe you! ;)

When asked what´s my favorite model to open, it has to be a backlock knife for sure, and out of those I´d probably go with the Endura too. Especially the ones with a bit heavier blades (so the sabre grind versions - just when it comes to opening, not performance)

Discussed in a recent thread: I am one who likes to flick open his folders, with each finger of at least my right hand. Just as a for me very practical, fast and secure way of doing so, not like in using the knife as a "fidgeting toy" (and I´ll repeat: Thumb rolling is as good as "flicking open" of course and sure a bit "healthier" for the knife in the long run).

Now I do like when the knife offers a bit more resistance to flicking it open (or also thumb rolling) like lockbacks do

On the other hand I find it a bit "boring" when a knife flies open just by a light touch of the thumb. This is what especially my Tenacious LW in S35 VN does. Never had a knife (not even a comp.lock) that opens so easily, while still being NOT "drop shutty" (something I don´t need at all) and still holding the blade extremely tight closed for a detent based lock.
But as said; This easy opening is what I actually do not like (also not in the few comp.locks I´ve owned), though I can respect how well done such a knife is technically speaking.
I prefer the feel of a backlock, where the fingers have to do a bit more work.
Opening my Chaparrals gives me that excellent tactile feedback that is constant, continuous and consistent throughout the arc of opening. My wife’s Delica does the same. Unfortunately, my Native 5 LW doesn’t. At least for me, the lack of liners of any kind really take away that feeling, and transmit some of it to the handle, which makes the whole endeavor a far less satisfying sensation.

Are the linerless G10 Native 5s any better with regard to this? Honestly, my LW feels too “plastic” for me, and I’d hate to buy a G10 model and not be satisfied with the nature of the action.
kobold

Post by kobold »

- Fluted Ti Native 5
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Compression locks for me, so Para 3 LW first. So smooth, opens with any finger or just press the tab and flip, and is whisper quiet. Para 2 has the beautiful sound, also opens with any finger.

Edit; not pinky finger of course.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Military
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

#1 would have to be my g10 manix 2. I took it apart and polished the washers, and replaced the ball cage with a titanium one… hard to put to words, but when you spydie flick it there is a perfect tightness right off the bat that makes you question if it will open all the way at first. But then it’s buttery smooth and overcomes with what feels like just the exact amount of force it needs and snaps into place. It feels hydraulic.

Can’t explain it. It just feels on purpose… perfected…. Like something is going on in there that’s… wonderful.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cabfrank wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:42 am
...Para 2 has the beautiful sound, also opens with any finger.

Edit; not pinky finger of course.
... pinky in a reverse grip?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
psylence

Post by psylence »

Perrin PPT, Military CF, Slysz Bowie, Swayback, Sage4, Chaparral Titanium, Native Chief CF, Caribbean.
Carbon Fiber knives sound great :)
Current EDC: 135CFP/217GS/152TIP/41PYL5/223PWH/211TIP/244CF90VP
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I have to say my Superleaf is the best opening knife I have , it’s smooth as glass , and pivot has never been adjusted . My ATR is a close second , both knives are very refined to open . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Delica & Endura most of the time. Endura & Delica on other days.
So many knives - so little funds!!!
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Soanso McMasters wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:01 pm
Sage 1 Maxamet - I don’t know what it is, but the fit and finish is through the roof. Spydie flick, index finger flick, thumb nail flick, pad of thumb flick, all with left or right hand and opens with authority. Perfect action. Perfect. Best of any knife I have ever owned.
I have only handled the Sage 1 Maxamet in store. 2 different knives from 2 different stores. I would say it is my favorite to open of the knives I do not own. Any time I go into a store and it is there, I just want to open it a few times.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Chrisclarkux:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
psylence

Post by psylence »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:36 am
I have to say my Superleaf is the best opening knife I have , it’s smooth as glass , and pivot has never been adjusted . My ATR is a close second , both knives are very refined to open . MG2
Teflon (white) washers are very smooth. You'll find same action on Roc Cleaver, Starmate (re-run) and few others from Seki.
Current EDC: 135CFP/217GS/152TIP/41PYL5/223PWH/211TIP/244CF90VP
vivi

Post by vivi »

Probably the Yojumbo.

It made me realize how much better heavier blades feel to open.

Thinking about it, this is one thing I prefer about H1 Pacific Salts vs the LC200N versions. The heavier blade feels better during the opening and closing.

Typically I prefer the action of lockbacks and CBBL to detent based locks, but the Yojumbo feels really nice in this respect.
:unicorn
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I no longer own the Shaman SE I am referencing but it opened and it was a combination of the authoritative lock engaging and the appearance of that bull shark profile with teeth and that knife just seemed different. I would have been careful who I opened that one around