Spyderco's ATS-34 Era: Considered Premium At That Time

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Spyderco's ATS-34 Era: Considered Premium At That Time

Post by JD Spydo »

There is another era in Spyder-History that I'll always love to cherish and that is the ATS-34 Era. I think it's safe to say that the ATS-34 era produced some of their most sought after "holy grail" collector pieces. The ATS-34 era also put Spyderco way out in front as far as providing their customers with the better blade steels available at the time.

Two models that quickly come to mind when I think of the Spyderco ATS-34 era was the first run of the JD Smith model and the legendary Wegner C-48 model. Oh there were several other super classics out of that ATS-34 era but those two I just can't forget.

Also the first run of the C-50 Centofante model which is probably gone forever I'm sad to say. You can also add the first run of the elusive Vesuvius model to the big list of Spyders that were offered in ATS-34. Probably one of the most sought after collector pieces that Spyderco ever made was the original, first run C-22 Walker model>> that is the one with the Carbon Fiber handle material along with an ATS-34 blade. The Walker is probably about the hardest to find Spyderco Classic out there. I've only ever seen two of them in ATS-34 blade steel in all my endeavors.

There is a lot to talk about concerning the Spyderco ATS-34 era so let's get started!!
Bolster

Re: Spyderco's ATS-34 Era: Considered Premium At That Time

Post by Bolster »

Question: what was the difference between 154CM and ATS-34? Just location of manufacture? And how can we describe the steel: Is it medium edge retention (by today's standards), low toughness, decent corrosion resistance?

I remember the first ATS-34 knife I got, it absolutely blew me away for edge holding. I couldn't believe the upgrade from the 440 series steels I'd had previously.
Last edited by Bolster on Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:17 pm
Question: what was the difference between 154CM and ATS-34? Just location of manufacture? And how can we describe the steel: Is it medium edge retention (by today's standards), low toughness, low corrosion resistance?

I remember the first ATS-34 knife I got, it absolutely blew me away for edge holding. I couldn't believe the upgrade from the 440 series steels I'd had previously.
154CM= USA

ATS34=Japan

Pretty much identical. Some would argue that ATS34 was a more consistent product due to some isolated cases of bubbling in 154CM stock.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I was reading up old posts on BF about the original Starmate (one is in the post to me), and there were certainly many positive references to the Wenger.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:17 pm
Question: what was the difference between 154CM and ATS-34? Just location of manufacture? And how can we describe the steel: Is it medium edge retention (by today's standards), low toughness, low corrosion resistance?

Once again, Larrin to the rescue for info: https://knifesteelnerds.com/2018/05/21/ ... es-legacy/

The "too long didn't read" version is that 154CM/ATS-34 is similar to 440C overall. And probably quite close to BG-42 as well.

In days long past I had a Buck folder in ATS-34. This was back in my high school and early college days and that knife saw some abuse. I did not pay much attention to edge properties back then, but it held up admirably to my juvenile behavior.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Image I only have one example of ATS34 a Beauchamp . I have used it on deer a few times and edge held up very well . I really don’t see much difference between it and 154CM . Both have worked well for me in the past . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:48 pm
There is a lot to talk about concerning the Spyderco ATS-34 era so let's get started!!
A picture is worth a thousand words ... :bug-red-white

Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Peter1960 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:21 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:48 pm
A picture is worth a thousand words ... :bug-red-white

Yeah that original "R" model was made in ATS-34. I almost forgot about that one. And that's my favorite of all the "R" models too. There were some super premium Spyderco models that made their debut with ATS-34. The first of the JD Smith models were awesome. It really saddens me that there is no way for a Sprint Run of the C-50 Centofante to happen. That was also a superb model they did in ATS-34. Unfortunately Spyderco did away with all the tooling for that model. I do believe if the C-50 were introduced in today's market it would be a big seller. Yeah that C-50 was ahead of it's time for sure.

That original "R" model is the most elegant of all the skeletonized models they ever made. I bet if a guy had a set of "R" models in PE & SE both NIB you would fetch some serious money for both edge types.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

The R to me speaks many things one is beauty , The whole knife flows from the butt to the tip in fluid motion . Inside the cuts were not random each had a purpose like a bridge structure , geometrically supporting each part of the of the knife . The knife could only been designed by one company that could design it from paper to reality and that was Spyderco . The R goes beyond being just a knife , it is to me a piece of art . Nice post JD and pics Peter1960 , and above all thank you Sal .
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:08 pm
The R to me speaks many things one is beauty , The whole knife flows from the butt to the tip in fluid motion . Inside the cuts were not random each had a purpose like a bridge structure , geometrically supporting each part of the of the knife . The knife could only been designed by one company that could design it from paper to reality and that was Spyderco . The R goes beyond being just a knife , it is to me a piece of art . Nice post JD and pics Peter1960 , and above all thank you Sal .
I couldn't agree with you more "Manix Guy". As much as many of us rave about some of the collaborations of well known knife designers that Spyderco has teamed up with over the years. And there has been some really good names like the JD Smith, Massad Ayoob, along with Howard Viele and several others I could mention. But most of us need to realize just how great many of Spyderco's "In House" designs are. Even some of Eric Glesser's designs are years ahead of many designers. His Dodo can't be beat IMO.

Not to mention many of Sal's great designs are "Hall of Fame" caliber to be sure. With the TEMPERANCE 1 still being one of my all time favorite fixed blades ever put out by Spyderco>> or any other company for that matter. Yep!! many of Spyderco's In House designs can compete head to head with any big name out there.
VWTattoo

Post by VWTattoo »

Hear hear on the in-house designs, JD. Among my favorites are the Dodo and Scorpius, as well as all of the Temp knives, fixed or folding.

Plus, I still feel that ATS-34 is a great steel, maybe cause I'm stuck in the past somewhat... But, it still performs well and maintains a fine edge in my "pocket carry" line up. I use it in the form of a C25 Centofante in blue aluminum with the blue Kraton insert. I've reprofiled it to a 20 degree with my KME diamond stones, and a light pass with the UF stones. It's a little scalpel that cuts with such a minimal effort, it's almost scary. I rarely have had to touch it up in well over a year, though my cutting is usually for light cutting chores, and the occasional filet.

My other "Pocket Carry" knife in ATS-34 is a C19 Bob Terzuola Jr. in PS. It's well used and carried for over 18 years by me, and plenty of years before me, as I got it used, but it is no slouch either!

I also have a few safe queens in ATS-34 that I cannot bear to use- the original "R", C15 Bob T., and C25's and a C50 which have not done any cutting since new. I guess I'm saving them for the next guy. ( insert eyeroll here)