We need more Millie’s

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
amateur blacksmith

Re: We need more Millie’s

Post by amateur blacksmith »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:24 pm
I think we don’t need more Millies, at least in the sense most mean it.

I think what we need is a basic Millie that is always available. The recent Exclusive excess has undermined availability by clogging production schedules.

Then we need Spyderco to release new Millies from time to time, just to appease (and surprise) us afis (aka ambassadors…).

From what we afis say we want, let Spyderco judge what and how many units to release on a flash-batch scale.

On this scale, Spyderco should be able to gauge a match appropriate to the level of enthusiasm and thus avoid a financial loss (if not make a modest profit) what with a very brief time on the production line.

But afis will need to put up or shut up. Steels and scales du jour cost more in small runs.

This sums up my thoughts. Just having a standard S30V would be good and long overdue. Any exclusive or Sprint will sell out in a blink and the Millie won't be available again for a long patch. Please fix the availability of the base model first. It will be a good thing if Spyderco brings K390 to the standard lineup as well.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

How about instead of the "standard" in S30V, they bring it back with Spy27 as the standard steel. Then you'll have a steel that's still fairly new that people want to try and it gets the model back into production with an in-house steel.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kobold

Post by kobold »

That would make perfect sense.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
amateur blacksmith

Post by amateur blacksmith »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:29 am
How about instead of the "standard" in S30V, they bring it back with Spy27 as the standard steel. Then you'll have a steel that's still fairly new that people want to try and it gets the model back into production with an in-house steel.
Excellent idea.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

amateur blacksmith wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:09 am
Evil D wrote:
Excellent idea.
+1
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

My - non Spyderco certified afi - 2 euro cents

It will probably increase the price for the standard Military while Spyderco Gods keep looking at prices and so far all potentially expensive models have been rejected, larger Ti carribean, Ti UK PK, Micarta Bushcraft

So far SPY27 as a steel seems to be expensive since it's only produced in low quantities for Spyderco.
In order to keep the price down need to order large quantities, but Spyderco Gods said saveral times that they don't like to sit on steel.

So they only offer it in lightweights in order to keep the price down, except that funny looking patriotic PM2 still on sale I don't think I've seen SPY27 with G10 and Ti seems to be gone except for a couple of Slysz models.

And I don't think I'm eager for a lightweight linerless Military.
Just leave it as it is because it's good.

A SPY27 Sprint, that would make sense if they want to do another Sprint.
But they don't.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Maybe we will at least see one in S45VN.I’d rather see SPY27 though.
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

MagnaCut would be my top pick for a Millie. It makes so much sense (IMO) to have a well balanced highly corrosion resistant steel in a knife like the Millie.

I know corrosion resistance isn't everyone's priority and I get it, but for me, the only way to justify getting a millie is to primarily serve as a outdoor knife. Typically in harsh conditions where both easy operation with gloves and corrosion resistance are big assets.

The Salt series of knives has served me well, but I'm not usually around salt water a lot, I'm just often exposed to excessive amounts of rain, snow and condensation. MagnaCut looks to me like a more well rounded Salt equivalent for heavy exposure to these less corrosive liquids.

Millie and M2LW in MagnaCut would IMO be offerings very hard to turn down.
But I agree about Spy27, that too would be a very logical progression for the MIllie, and something I would indeed be in for as an alternative to MC.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

It’s easy to understand their reluctance to make more when you consider how slow Military sprints and exclusives actually sell.

We see so many people go on about how much they love the Military Model and how they want more but then when it happens “I don’t like [blank], I’ll just wait for the next sprint or exclusive.” :sleeping

Maybe if all the devout fans of the Military Model showed support like the PM2 guys do, you’d see more sprints and exclusives.
-Nick :bug-red
Nuh Nups

Post by Nuh Nups »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:53 am
It’s easy to understand their reluctance to make more when you consider how slow Military sprints and exclusives actually sell.

We see so many people go on about how much they love the Military Model and how they want more but then when it happens “I don’t like [blank], I’ll just wait for the next sprint or exclusive.” :sleeping

Maybe if all the devout fans of the Military Model showed support like the PM2 guys do, you’d see more sprints and exclusives.
Nick,
I’m curious what you mean by this. Do you mean show support by buying more of them? Can’t do that when they aren’t in stock.

As far as some Military fans saying how much they love the model and then saying, “I don’t like [blank], I’ll just wait for the next sprint or exclusive.” I can’t think of anyone on here who did that. That must have been quite some time ago. Wasn’t the last exclusive in 2019?
M.N.O.S.D. member 0026
kobold

Post by kobold »

I had no choice but to buy two out of three of my Millies on the secondary and only one from a webshop. Lucky, they were all NIB.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
James Y

Post by James Y »

Evil D wrote:

I’d rather see the standard Military brought back in Magnacut. I could be wrong, but wouldn’t SPY27 be significantly more expensive? Not only that, but Magnacut will have far superior corrosion resistance over SPY27. Not many forumites seem to care as much about corrosion resistance, but I do.

Magnacut, or at least S45VN for me. 🙂

Jim
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Mushroom wrote:

😝
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

James Y wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:19 am
Evil D wrote:

I’d rather see the standard Military brought back in Magnacut. I could be wrong, but wouldn’t SPY27 be significantly more expensive? Not only that, but Magnacut will have far superior corrosion resistance over SPY27. Not many forumites seem to care as much about corrosion resistance, but I do.

Magnacut, or at least S45VN for me. 🙂

Jim

Well yeah I'd be all for that, I just figured it's more likely with Spy27 given Spyderco's vested interest in the steel. Why have a proprietary steel if you don't use it in one of your most well known and loved models?
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Gsg9 wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:34 am
My - non Spyderco certified afi - 2 euro cents

So they only offer it in lightweights in order to keep the price down, except that funny looking patriotic PM2 still on sale I don't think I've seen SPY27 with G10 and Ti seems to be gone except for a couple of Slysz models.

And I don't think I'm eager for a lightweight linerless Military.

Just leave it as it is because it's good.

I´d say the current Millie IS already about as linerless as a linerlock knife can get - ?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Realistically they wouldn't need to change anything to make it 4 way clip, just add the screw helicoils like the other linerless G10 models use and drill the liner on the other side for the lefties who want tip down. They'd have to change it to an hourglass clip but that shouldn't be a big deal. I may be oversimplifying this but what most people want aside from a different lock could be a CQI change.
~David
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

As a lefty I have been wanting a lefty Military SE forever .
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The REX45 Military sold well enough. Not crazy fast but it did sell. The problem is that previously some exclusives took forever to sell out. I like Knifeworks and they sat on two Military exclusives forever and at times were trying to move them at deep discounts. That is why we are where we are. Dealers don’t want to take that risk.

In general larger knives don’t sell well. That used to mean 4” knives like the Military but in the past decade it seems to have started to effect even knives in the 3.5-4 inch range. Folks seem to be favoring blades in the 3-3.5 inch range. The entire market has shifted towards smaller blades. Some youtubers make the Para2 out to be huge.

I think we mostly need a Military sprint because dealers aren’t eager to run an exclusive. Hopefully we will see that 4V Military. I’m not a fan of coated blades but I would be a buyer anyway.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I know some are iffy on bigger blades but the Chief seems to be doing well. I really think a lot of it has to do with clip position options.
~David
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Nuh Nups wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:09 am
Mushroom wrote:

Nick,
I’m curious what you mean by this. Do you mean show support by buying more of them? Can’t do that when they aren’t in stock.

As far as some Military fans saying how much they love the model and then saying, “I don’t like [blank], I’ll just wait for the next sprint or exclusive.” I can’t think of anyone on here who did that. That must have been quite some time ago. Wasn’t the last exclusive in 2019?
I meant that if dealers were seeing their inventory of Military sprints or exclusives sell out as fast the PM2 sprints and exclusives they would probably be more inclined to commission more Military Exclusives. Instead, they would often have inventory for up to months at a time and sometimes longer.
yablanowitz wrote: [quote=Mushroom post_id=<a href="tel:1575717">1575717</a> time=<a href="tel:1638366807">1638366807</a> user_id=25059]

😝
[/quote]
See now that’s impressive! If there were more collections like that, there would probably be more Military Models being made to collect.
-Nick :bug-red