We need more Millie’s

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ranger Jon

Re: We need more Millie’s

Post by Ranger Jon »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:06 pm
Ranger Jon wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:07 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:54 pm
Ranger Jon wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:18 pm
Hey Wartstein I appreciate the warm welcome! Yes I am the same Ranger Jon lol. I have been lurking the forums forever and figured its way past time to jump in and participate more. Thanks for the kind words on the videos too! I'm hoping to do a whole lot more soon. The Millie is still my fav and just gets better everyday. In the field its just amazing.

Nice to have you here!
Always a good thing to me when people with real world (especially outdoor) use and experiences contribute to this forum.

/ Btw (and off topic).: Just revisited your channel and watched the vid about the Crucarta PM2. I think the one thing you said you did not really like on this model gets adressed here viewtopic.php?p=1570247#p1570247 and in the following posts.
I checked that out and he's right 100%! - I noticed many folks in the comments on that video seemed to take it as me saying I hated the knife, which is not the case lol. The average watch time for that video was just under 4 mnutes, and the whole thing is 10 minutes long, so I think alot of folks just hear a negative and then tune out or something and dont hear all the thoughts as a whole. I think its fantastic completely, but that flex is still there. the scale moves up off the liners when squeezed. I dont think it will break at all, but being so used to the solidity of the normal pm2, it will catch you off guard. The thinness of the scale there too just takes some getting used to also. it really does just feel like a paper wafer or something lol. BUT! I love the knife overall, especially the exposed liners. I just think it would have been cool to have seen it done just a bit differently to give it a bit higher feel for fit and finish in the lock area. Overall I would still say its the best regularly produced pm2 model you can get due to the cruwear and uniqueness factor, you just gotta get used to the scale.
Ranger Jon

Post by Ranger Jon »

yablanowitz wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:41 am
Mushroom wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:53 am
It’s easy to understand their reluctance to make more when you consider how slow Military sprints and exclusives actually sell.

We see so many people go on about how much they love the Military Model and how they want more but then when it happens “I don’t like [blank], I’ll just wait for the next sprint or exclusive.” :sleeping

Maybe if all the devout fans of the Military Model showed support like the PM2 guys do, you’d see more sprints and exclusives.

😝
This pic makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Very nice !
Ranger Jon

Post by Ranger Jon »

Gsg9 wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:16 am
Maybe if all the devout fans of the Military Model showed support like the PM2 guys do, you’d see more sprints and exclusives.
Compared to Spyderco Certified Aficionados Grand Master and then Level 1-10 I only have these, still I think I've done my fair share for the good of the model.

I would further support if I have what to support, the last Sprint I bought was the REX45; for KW S90V had to ask somebody to buy it for me in the Wild West and the I had to deal with the looks when it was handed to me.

So I would appreciate Sprints that are also available over here in the Land of Restrictions and Expensive instead of some vomiting peas texture dealer exclusive in the Wild West.

Great group you got there! Awesome pic.
Ranger Jon

Post by Ranger Jon »

Super stoked to see all the other millie fans here and fans of it how it sits at that! I really hope magnacut turns out to be all its meant to be. Living down here in FL I love tool steels and more corrosion prone steels, but every time I venture into that territory and take one out into the field I am quickly humbled regardless of what oil or coatings I experiment with, and always find myself back to a stainless (yuck) or semi like cruwear. If magnacut turns out to be the super hybrid its billed as, and it sharpens nicely, man I can't even begin to express what a blessing that will be to folks like myself who are addicted to the performance we can't get out of most stainless.
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

I've been hounding second-hand websites and official dealers for C36s for a good 8 months.
While I have the M4, I'd like to buy another S30V at least, and would love to see a Magnacut, LC200N, or K390 model. Just no CF or Micarta.
Another iteration of the SE in stainless would be a miracle, but let a man hope !
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

Liner lock means no military for me.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Good! Leaves more for me.

Idle curiousity, have you ever tried a Military, or do you automatically lump all liner locks together and assume the Millie is no better than any old truck stop liner lock?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Blnd wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:50 pm
Have you ever really given the Millie (!! so a good!) linerlock a try and chance over a longer period of time?

Honest question, of course the linerlock generally is not for everyone (true for every locktype), but some people have just experience with crappy to just mid range linerlocks, but NOT with a perfectly and by Spyderco high end standards executed linerlock like the Millie features.
Also in my experience for some folks it takes some time and use to really come to appreciate the advantages of a good linerlock and overcome prejudices and what they constantly "heard and read" about how outdated, inferior and "unsafe" it allegedly should be.

Again, not at all saying this would be true for you! Of course it is also perfectly fine and plausible of one really tries a good linerlock and then comes to the conclusion that other locktypes suit them better.

(EDIT: Sorry, Yablanonwitz, did not mean to paraphrase your post! I actually read it only after I posted mine...)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

MagnaCut Millie would be really cool
psylence

Post by psylence »

Any Millie instead of endless PM2 exclusives would be great.
Current EDC: 135CFP/217GS/152TIP/41PYL5/223PWH/211TIP/244CF90VP
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:16 am
Blnd wrote:
Have you ever really given the Millie (!! so a good!) linerlock a try and chance over a longer period of time?

Honest question, of course the linerlock generally is not for everyone (true for every locktype), but some people have just experience with crappy to just mid range linerlocks, but NOT with a perfectly and by Spyderco high end standards executed linerlock like the Millie features.
Also in my experience for some folks it takes some time and use to really come to appreciate the advantages of a good linerlock and overcome prejudices and what they constantly "heard and read" about how outdated, inferior and "unsafe" it allegedly should be.

Again, not at all saying this would be true for you! Of course it is also perfectly fine and plausible of one really tries a good linerlock and then comes to the conclusion that other locktypes suit them better.

(EDIT: Sorry, Yablanonwitz, did not mean to paraphrase your post! I actually read it only after I posted mine...)
Can someone explain me the problems with linerlock. Could be bad taste, but I love them. What's the usual gripes peope have with them ?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Chapp wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:05 am
Wartstein wrote:
Blnd wrote:
Can someone explain me the problems with linerlock. Could be bad taste, but I love them. What's the usual gripes peope have with them ?

No bad taste when it comes to me! (Good!) linerlocks are great especially when it comes to convenience of operation (see this previous post of mine for more details why I like that lock type so much).

The usual gripes I am hearing:
1.) Fingers are in the blade path when closing the knife
2.) Other locktypes are stronger.
3.) Lock tab / bar could be operated by accident in use and blade get unlocked

Actually all true, but also actually for me personally with no practical implications (ymmv!)

1.) I never had any problems with "fingers in the blade path" on any lock, and in case of the linerlock the fingers are even "automatically" safe, at least on knives with a choil: Cause one literally almost can´t operate the lock without putting thumb (or index finger) acts as a safety guard by getting hit by choil or ricasso before the edge could ever hit the other fingers.

2.) Tested to the extreme I am quite sure backlock, CBBL and comp.lock are "stronger". But a linerlock like the Millie has is still way strong enough (ever heard of any task a Millie could not do but a Spydie with one of the other locktypes could cause the Millie lock was to "weak"?!

3.) In extreme rare situations linerlock, but also comp.lock and backlock (and probably even CBBL) could be unlocked by accident. But imo a (again, GOOD!) linerlock is not more prone to that than comp. and backlock.
Then I try to remember what I read about this topic here, I actually can recall two such incidents with a comp.lock, one with a backlock and not one with a linerlock (this is of course just anecdotal and in no way statistically valid data!)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

The liner lock is the easiest and cheapest lock to knock out if you don't care how well it works, which means it gets used on a lot of cheap p.o.s. knives, and therefore the liner lock gets equated with crap. The liner lock on the Military is very precise and quite complex, requiring considerable expertise to execute. It is as similar to those truck stop knives as a Rolls Royce is to a Yugo.
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

Wartstein wrote:
Blnd wrote:

I’d be very happy to add a military with a different lock style (a military 2 perhaps). Liner locks are not for me.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I feel the same way about liner locks in general but still have a Military in my collection ;)
:unicorn
kells45

Post by kells45 »

I think there is a lot of hate/crying about liner locks. I have been gifted liner lock chinese truck stop knives, they are unsafe to use most of the time. I would take a millie liner lock over the comp lock any day. It’s easier to use the millie liner lock with gloves of any thickness compared to the pm2 comp lock. The hardest use I have put my m4 military through was cutting through the sole of a redwing boot. I just wanted to see what damage the edge would take. I had to use considerable force,a lot of body weight and a strong grip to get through the sole and fiberglass shank. The military never unlocked. The compression lock is good but not as easy to use imo.
JDawg51

Post by JDawg51 »

I have a Rex45 millie, and have been trying to find one in S110V as I tend to prefer a stainless steel in folders. I can't find one anywhere, and the ones I saw on Ebay said they were now a discontinued model. (and crazy $$$) Has the S110V been discontinued? I was going to try and nab one of the standard S30V models but they are nowhere to be found. Is this just a result of the supply chain/labor shortage issue that has been affecting most manufacturing?
James Y

Post by James Y »

My own opinion of the Military’s liner lock is that it’s simply the best-executed liner lock of any knife I’m aware of. And it’s been the same on all four of my Militaries, from my over 20 year-old 440V model all the way up to the current CQI models. There is NO comparison at all between the liner lock on the Military and the cheapo liner lock knives that Home Shopping Network used to sell boxes of 20 for $5.

I’m not a big fan of liner locks in general, but I AM a fan of the Military and ITS liner lock.

Jim
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I like the Military as is with the liner lock.

The standard Military Satin S30V/G-10 currently has a street price of $196 (if you can find one) but come January 2022 it’ll be $217! With MagnaCut or SPY27 it’ll probably be around $240!

My current user Military S30V Satin ComboEdge with G-10 from September 2005 cost me a whopping $103 brand new from a dealer and it still works great! Back then CPM-S30V was the super premium steel.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
kobold

Post by kobold »

The Sage 1 liner lock is also fine.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10