We need more Millie’s

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ranger Jon

We need more Millie’s

Post by Ranger Jon »

we are lucky to live in this day and age of so much variety with models and steels to choose from. However I feel lately that for those of us who really use our knives no matter how rare or expensive (no safe queens allowed!), a few common sense models just don’t ever seem to pop up in exclusives or sprints. Mainly I’m talking about the Military. (as well as seeing less and less of the other classics like native 5)

As a park ranger and avid outdoorsman, the military has completely stolen my heart over the last half decade and not only is my favorite knife, but is simply one of the best cutting tools money can buy. I love all the new, crazy, and wild exotic stuff we get to see made and choose from, but at the end of the day I would just LOVE to see more Millie models made. Especially in a common sense user steel such as CRUWEAR. I am hoping to see the base model updated to S45VN or SPY27 and a MAGNACUT model would make SO much sense as a user in the future if that steel turns out to be all it’s described as!

Any one else out there like me enjoy seeing all the cool stuff pass by and on YouTube but just sitting here watching the world go by waiting on new and better thought out Military models/configurations to come out than what we have been seeing (blade hq M4)? LOL.

Rock on. Curious if I’m all alone out here Truman Show style or are there others?
Wartstein

Re: We need more Millie’s

Post by Wartstein »

Ranger Jon wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:18 pm
As a park ranger and avid outdoorsman, the military has completely stolen my heart over the last half decade and not only is my favorite knife, but is simply one of the best cutting tools money can buy.
Rock on. Curious if I’m all alone out here Truman Show style or are there others?
Welcome to the forum! :smlling-eyes

The words "park ranger" "outdoors man" "Military" and "Ranger Jon" make me ask: Do you happen to have a youtube channel under that name?
I don´t watch a lot of knife vids (even Spydercos) and I like even less, but I seem to recall a "Ranger Jon" youtube channel where the guy, a park ranger (you??) actually really did use his knives extensively and so had "real" opinions and experiences I really liked and respected (and he did not frantically flick the knives open like 100 times in a 5 minute vid but just when talking about the lock...). I think the Millie was this guys favorite.

Anyway... I think on THIS forum you´ll find many who´ll support your wish for more Millies and more Millie versions. Actually there are quite some threads about this.
There are also rumors about a Military 2, featuring a compression lock, which has led to intense discussions: Some like the idea, some (me included) feel like a Millie without a linerlock would not be "a real Millie" anymore and less suited for outdoor-/glove... use.
Now Sal has said, that the linerlock Millie 1 will remain in the lineup even if there´ll be a comp.lock Millie 2. Good to know.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

... btw: should your follow up posts not show up for some time: See here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=88927#p1496705
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Welcome to the Forum, Jon!

Yep! I’m certainly with you on the Military and the N5 in production Cruwear & Magnacut.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I wonder if the new Golden expansion is just to fulfill y'all's Millie requests...
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Nuh Nups

Post by Nuh Nups »

Welcome, Jon!

I’m with you. I would love to see more Millies in more steels. Even the standard, S30V model is hard to find right now.

With a lot of dealers doing a “Teaser” for their upcoming exclusives, I always find myself hoping it’s a Military in an upgraded steel. K390, 10V, 4V, Spy 27, LC200N, MagnaCut just to name a few.

As Wartstein mentioned, there is a guy with a YouTube channel by the same name and I really enjoy his videos. Especially one on his Knifeworks 204p Millie and Knifeworks carbon fiber and titanium S90v model. I would agree they are both excellent versions of the Military!

Again, welcome. I’m always glad to hear that there are other people who enjoy the Military as much as I do.
M.N.O.S.D. member 0026
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Shucks, I've been waiting for a Maxamet Military for four years now. K390 would do. Or 10V, or 4V, or...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm in for a Cruwear/Micarta version to go with my Shaman (and I want a Chief too) and I'll take some MagnaCut with peel ply carbon fiber. Also for Pete's sake can we just finally get a Military Salt in SE/LC200N?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ranger Jon

Post by Ranger Jon »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:54 pm
Ranger Jon wrote:
As a park ranger and avid outdoorsman, the military has completely stolen my heart over the last half decade and not only is my favorite knife, but is simply one of the best cutting tools money can buy.
Welcome to the forum! :smlling-eyes

The words "park ranger" "outdoors man" "Military" and "Ranger Jon" make me ask: Do you happen to have a youtube channel under that name?
I don´t watch a lot of knife vids (even Spydercos) and I like even less, but I seem to recall a "Ranger Jon" youtube channel where the guy, a park ranger (you??) actually really did use his knives extensively and so had "real" opinions and experiences I really liked and respected (and he did not frantically flick the knives open like 100 times in a 5 minute vid but just when talking about the lock...). I think the Millie was this guys favorite.

Anyway... I think on THIS forum you´ll find many who´ll support your wish for more Millies and more Millie versions. Actually there are quite some threads about this.
There are also rumors about a Military 2, featuring a compression lock, which has led to intense discussions: Some like the idea, some (me included) feel like a Millie without a linerlock would not be "a real Millie" anymore and less suited for outdoor-/glove... use.
Now Sal has said, that the linerlock Millie 1 will remain in the lineup even if there´ll be a comp.lock Millie 2. Good to know.
Hey Wartstein I appreciate the warm welcome! Yes I am the same Ranger Jon lol. I have been lurking the forums forever and figured its way past time to jump in and participate more. Thanks for the kind words on the videos too! I'm hoping to do a whole lot more soon. The Millie is still my fav and just gets better everyday. In the field its just amazing.

Its also great to hear that I'm not alone! I already see a bunch of replies here. I think more Millies in user steels that make sense from a field perspective would just make the dang world a better place! I agree and think a comp lock has the potential to ruin the things I love so much about the Military, mainly one handed operation while wearing gloves. I don't see that being possible if they change the design, and I say that as a pretty open lover of the compression lock. Tip up carry also just doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me either on a Millie from a use perspective. I think CQI is great on all designs, but I'm in the camp who doesnt think theres anything that needs to be changed on the Military design. But, of course I'm always open to be proven wrong if it all happens and somehow makes a ton of sense lol. Thats great to hear about Sal saying the regular Millie 1 will remain regardless though :cheap-sunglasses
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've loved the C-36 Military model ever since I snagged my very first one back around 2004 I think it was. It was a 440V, full SE model and I miss it dearly. I wish I never traded it. But I've had at least a dozen of the Military model over the years and if they want to do more of that model in different blade steels and more variety of handle materials then you've got my vote!!

I EDCed my hallowed M390 Military model for over 4 & a 1/2 years and it's been one of my very best EDC folders I've ever used.

Here in the great state of Missouri we are allowed up to a 4 inch blade on folders so carrying a C-36 Military model works well here in Missouri. There is so much you can do with a C-36 Military model and especially the ones with the supersteel blades.

More Military models? Sure bring them on!!!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

yablanowitz wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:32 pm
Shucks, I've been waiting for a Maxamet Military for four years now. K390 would do. Or 10V, or 4V, or...
Yup...
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
amateur blacksmith

Post by amateur blacksmith »

Even the standard S30V would sell out immediately at this point. It's getting on for 2 years now it's been sold aut at most dealers. Hopefully future sprints and exclusives will be made in sufficient numbers they won't sell out in minutes. I can't be bothered getting involved in that nonsense.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've been watching for a run of the Military in an interesting steel.
:unicorn
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

Ranger Jon wrote:
we are lucky to live in this day and age of so much variety with models and steels to choose from. However I feel lately that for those of us who really use our knives no matter how rare or expensive (no safe queens allowed!), a few common sense models just don’t ever seem to pop up in exclusives or sprints. Mainly I’m talking about the Military. (as well as seeing less and less of the other classics like native 5)

As a park ranger and avid outdoorsman, the military has completely stolen my heart over the last half decade and not only is my favorite knife, but is simply one of the best cutting tools money can buy. I love all the new, crazy, and wild exotic stuff we get to see made and choose from, but at the end of the day I would just LOVE to see more Millie models made. Especially in a common sense user steel such as CRUWEAR. I am hoping to see the base model updated to S45VN or SPY27 and a MAGNACUT model would make SO much sense as a user in the future if that steel turns out to be all it’s described as!

Any one else out there like me enjoy seeing all the cool stuff pass by and on YouTube but just sitting here watching the world go by waiting on new and better thought out Military models/configurations to come out than what we have been seeing (blade hq M4)? LOL.

Firstly, welcome.

Second, we absolutely need more Millies!

Third, are you Ranger Jon Outdoors on YouTube? I like your videos!
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Agree
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
jdw

Post by jdw »

I will plead again for a new Military. It hasn’t worked out very well yet though.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

Yes, we definitely need more Millie’s. I’d love to have one in 4V, especially in the St. Nicks flavor, but I think we’re also way past due a CQI Cruwear version and of course, I’d love to see one in Magna cut. A micarta Cruwear version would be a huge hit as well.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Welcome aboard Jon! You are 100% right, we do. All kinds, Maxamet, K390, Magna Cut, serrated edge..
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

They used to introduce new steels on Military and that kept it going.
Now they are doing new steels on everything. And diarrhea handles exclusives...

So the demand for Millie has dried up? That's too bad because it's probably their best knife overall.

Chances of nice Ti or CF handles and new steels on Military look slim because of demand and pricing, it looks like certain models have priced themselves out of the market for anything but the base model.

I would be interested in new Millies in new steels and nice handles combinations but it seems that for a few people here they are not in a hurry...
Matus

Post by Matus »

Military might be a little too large for my use, but I see your point. As a general use for outdoor activities it should work really well. I am guessing that the demand is not quite as large as the enthusiasts around here may appear it to make and therefore it does not get enough production priority.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...