We need more Millie’s

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kobold

Re: We need more Millie’s

Post by kobold »

The Persian military was defeated at Marathon. :nerd
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

resonanzmacher wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:55 pm
So I take it I'm the only one who'd wanna see a trailing point blade on a Military?

I'd be much more excited for a wharnie or sheepsfoot, maybe even a tanto..
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kobold wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:27 am
:') That´s actually a good one as a respone to resonanzmachers post!

(@Resonanzmacher: Of course I don´t mean to ridicule your suggestion, but just give credits to kobolds pun!
- though I personally am more with David / Evil D: While I think a trailing point Millie might look really cool, in my use a lower tip is more functional practically speaking. So for example in use I prefer the lower tip of of the Manix over the "higher" one of the Tenacious, despite the latter is still not as "high" as a trailing point)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Tanto millie, yes.
Sheepsfoot millie, yes.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Usually I have little use for tantos, because I like having the tip of the blade low in line with the bottom of the handle. This usually means I like blades with little to no belly, or at least that's how it usually works out with most blade shapes but the Military does a pretty good job of getting the tip low while still having lots of belly, in part by using a negative blade angle.

What got me more interested in a tanto was how they did the Para 2, they managed to get the blade tip right in the same place as it is on the regular Para 2 blade, so in theory the tip should be just as useful this way.

Generally with blade tips I find that I need a sweet spot between "splinter picker" and "sharpened pry bar" because I really don't use my folder for prying or other not so smart uses, BUT if I had a tanto that could potentially take that sort of abuse I may catch myself doing it more, who knows?

What I really want is a tanto combo edge where the bottom straight edge is serrated and the tanto tip is plain edge. I don't necessarily want it on a Military in particular but I think it could be a really useful blade design for my uses and I think the Military would be a great platform for it.

I also like weird stuff so I don't expect a lot of support with this one.

🤣
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:35 am
Usually I have little use for tantos, because I like having the tip of the blade low in line with the bottom of the handle. This usually means I like blades with little to no belly, or at least that's how it usually works out with most blade shapes but the Military does a pretty good job of getting the tip low while still having lots of belly, in part by using a negative blade angle.

What got me more interested in a tanto was how they did the Para 2, they managed to get the blade tip right in the same place as it is on the regular Para 2 blade, so in theory the tip should be just as useful this way.

Generally with blade tips I find that I need a sweet spot between "splinter picker" and "sharpened pry bar" because I really don't use my folder for prying or other not so smart uses, BUT if I had a tanto that could potentially take that sort of abuse I may catch myself doing it more, who knows?

What I really want is a tanto combo edge where the bottom straight edge is serrated and the tanto tip is plain edge. I don't necessarily want it on a Military in particular but I think it could be a really useful blade design for my uses and I think the Military would be a great platform for it.

I also like weird stuff so I don't expect a lot of support with this one.

🤣
man, if it got us to see more millies, then I'd be down - but I would much rather just see some new steels on the existing platform
--Jeremy
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Fireman wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:19 am
Tanto millie, yes.
Sheepsfoot millie, yes.
Tanto sheepsfoot, yes.

Oh, wait. Do we need a Spey?
Last edited by wrdwrght on Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

Lock bar military please, been hunting a fluted titanium model. Liner locks don't like latex gloves...
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
resonanzmacher

Post by resonanzmacher »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:58 am
kobold wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:27 am
:') That´s actually a good one as a respone to resonanzmachers post!

(@Resonanzmacher: Of course I don´t mean to ridicule your suggestion, but just give credits to kobolds pun!
- though I personally am more with David / Evil D: While I think a trailing point Millie might look really cool, in my use a lower tip is more functional practically speaking. So for example in use I prefer the lower tip of of the Manix over the "higher" one of the Tenacious, despite the latter is still not as "high" as a trailing point)
It was a righteous pun :)
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

I have been watching for more Millies to show up, but I'll admit that a knife that big is not a priority item for me. Hoping that a batch of S110V ones shows up.

For me, the Millie is more a collector's piece. It's just too big for me, except for the very rare occasion I feel like carrying a pocket sword. The PM2 is right in the "workhorse" size range for me, and it's part of why I like it so much.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
James Y

Post by James Y »

Fireman wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:18 pm

🤣

Jim
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Wandering_About wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:51 am
I have been watching for more Millies to show up, but I'll admit that a knife that big is not a priority item for me. Hoping that a batch of S110V ones shows up.

For me, the Millie is more a collector's piece. It's just too big for me, except for the very rare occasion I feel like carrying a pocket sword. The PM2 is right in the "workhorse" size range for me, and it's part of why I like it so much.
You say that now but the Military has a way of shrinking on you. Many have agreed to that. I once was riding the PM2 train like most others but now when I open a Para2 I wonder where the rest of my blade went. Have you ever owned or carried a Military?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Wandering_About wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:51 am

They really do shrink on you once you start carrying them. I thought the same about both the Military and Native Chief. I no longer have the Military, but use a Native Chief quite often. It grows on you as it seems to shrink in size! It only seems huge to non knife people now.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wandering_About

I've owned a Millie almost as long as any of my PM2s and it has not shrunk. But I do tend toward knives the size of the PM2 or even smaller, depending on the day. Large knives never really have been my thing. I own a couple Native Chiefs, a Police, and an Endura as well. The PM2 (and Stretch) both are much more to my size preference than any of those larger blades.

There is something fun about the big folders, but in practice they are not my top choice.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Fair enough. We definitely all like different things.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
James Y

Post by James Y »

I used to think the SS Police and the Military were big, like pocket swords. Even the Endura, back in the ‘90s. Then at one point I bought a Cold Steel XL Voyager (older version, made in Japan, with the same long, curved handle as the old Vaquero Grande) with a 6” blade, and an even bigger handle. That knife made the Military and the Police seem tiny by comparison. After that, they don’t seem all that big to me anymore, although I might judge them a bit too big for some situations/environments.

Jim
Wandering_About

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:32 pm
Fair enough. We definitely all like different things.
No worries. I get a lot of "interesting discussion" on bushcraft/outdoors forums for preferring smaller knives even when it comes to fixed blades. A lot of people like bigger knives and do well with them, but over the years I have strongly gravitated to 3.25-3.5 inches or so for my "most used" knives.

MNOSD member #0035
Ranger Jon

Post by Ranger Jon »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:07 pm
Ranger Jon wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:18 pm
we are lucky to live in this day and age of so much variety with models and steels to choose from. However I feel lately that for those of us who really use our knives no matter how rare or expensive (no safe queens allowed!), a few common sense models just don’t ever seem to pop up in exclusives or sprints. Mainly I’m talking about the Military. (as well as seeing less and less of the other classics like native 5)

As a park ranger and avid outdoorsman, the military has completely stolen my heart over the last half decade and not only is my favorite knife, but is simply one of the best cutting tools money can buy. I love all the new, crazy, and wild exotic stuff we get to see made and choose from, but at the end of the day I would just LOVE to see more Millie models made. Especially in a common sense user steel such as CRUWEAR. I am hoping to see the base model updated to S45VN or SPY27 and a MAGNACUT model would make SO much sense as a user in the future if that steel turns out to be all it’s described as!

Any one else out there like me enjoy seeing all the cool stuff pass by and on YouTube but just sitting here watching the world go by waiting on new and better thought out Military models/configurations to come out than what we have been seeing (blade hq M4)? LOL.

Rock on. Curious if I’m all alone out here Truman Show style or are there others?
Firstly, welcome.

Second, we absolutely need more Millies!

Third, are you Ranger Jon Outdoors on YouTube? I like your videos!
Thanks for the warm welcome! and yep that is my channel. Glad to hear someone enjoys the vids! I appreciate the support :)
Ranger Jon

Post by Ranger Jon »

Nuh Nups wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:16 pm
Burton Knut wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:47 am
Nuh Nups wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:16 am
Burton Knut wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:55 am
I’d have a fleet of Millies if they weren’t liner locks. I keep hoping this whole Millie2 comp lock idea gets some traction, but for now I’ll stick with my Native Chiefs and Police 4s.
I have to ask; have you ever tried one? I was skeptical at first, just because I’ve tried liner locks from a couple of other brands and I didn’t like them. Once I picked up a Military, I realized it’s completely different. My only regret is not trying one sooner.
I have tried a couple, mostly because of all the fans on here, but for me it was still “just a liner lock” and I turned around and sold both within a couple days of getting them.

What’s the concern with having a compression lock on the Millie? Honestly I’d try a back lock (but at that size it might get ergonomically awkward) or a CBBL (if that’s even possible in the design.) I’m in for anything except liner/frame locks.
I’m sure others will chime in but one reason I like the current version is how well it works while I’m wearing work gloves. A back lock works for me too but a compression lock just doesn’t work as well for me when wearing gloves.

Glad to hear you’ve tried the Millie, even if it wasn’t your thing.
I agree here 100%. The way you can put on work gloves and nothing about using the knife in your hand changes. Its one of the greatest things about the millie. Greatly underrated as there are very very few other knives that can do this.
Ranger Jon

Post by Ranger Jon »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:46 pm
Burton Knut wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:47 am
Nuh Nups wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:16 am
Burton Knut wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:55 am
What’s the concern with having a compression lock on the Millie? Honestly I’d try a back lock (but at that size it might get ergonomically awkward) or a CBBL (if that’s even possible in the design.) I’m in for anything except liner/frame locks.

As David said: This has been discussed extensively in other threads, so all who already know my opinion just stop reading here!

So, my totally subjective opinion, in parts very contrary to those of many others, but honest and coming from real use and experience:

- Especially on a large outdoor knife imho a linerlock works better than a comp. lock because:

+ It is easier to operate in general, but especially with cold, wet, greasy...fingers or with gloves: Larger cutout, larger lock"tab" in a more "natural" place (more on the bottom of the handle, where the fingers sit anyway).

+ The linerlock is (imo!!) overall safer than a comp.lock in operation: Regardless if one operates the lock tab with thumb or index finger: The knife always remains in a secure, natural position in the hand, no finger has to go to the top of the handle, the knife is extremely unlikely to get dropped, even with cold, greasy... fingers

+ Furthermore, especially in a blade with choil, the fingers are naturally protected from the edge, cause thumb or index finger, in order to even operate the lock, have to be in a position where the choil would hit them first and stop the blade, never the edge (for me even true for linerlocks with no choil, like my Tenacious
Now sure, there is the "fingers out of the blade path" comp. lock closing method! Not saying it is bad, and of course the fingers are safe (unless one does not take care and one or more finger(s) still cover a bit of the gap where the blade goes in)
But while using THIS method the knife is not overly safe in hand concerning accidental dropping. It requires an a bit unstable pinch grip, and often a little "shake" which actually gives the knife a bit inertia in the direction out of the hand. Not an issue at all in most scenarios, but in outdoors use, in a hurry, and again with cold or greasy, muddy .. fingers it could be

- Plus: For me a linerlock is more comfortable and ergonomic in prolongued, harder use: The comp. lock cutout is prone to create a hot spot in such scenarios, not so (for me) the linerlock.

- Last point: There are many mid- to high end comp. lock (and back lock!) in house Spydies already, but almost none with a linerlock. So just for the sake of having choices I think the Millie should keep its great inerlock.
this 100%