We need more Millie’s

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
aicolainen

Re: We need more Millie’s

Post by aicolainen »

I don’t think it makes sense to blame the Millie enthusiasts for not buying enough of them.
I have a feeling the Millie (on average) appeals more to users and the PM2 (again, on average) appeals more to collectors and coach fidgeters. That’s going to affect the numbers.

I generally lean towards smaller knives, but larger ones have their use even for me.
I don’t have a PM2 atm and have never owned a Millie, and even though they both classifies as large folders on my scale, I’m way more likely to get a Millie.
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:28 pm
I know some are iffy on bigger blades but the Chief seems to be doing well. I really think a lot of it has to do with clip position options.
The base satin S30V Chief is also $30 cheaper than the base satin S30V Military. I'm sure that plays into sprint/exclusive pricing and thus speed of sales too.

I know the Military being a $200 knife now has stopped me from picking up one of the LH versions several times. That's a nice round number that gives me pause. (And my brain usually fills in "try a new design" or "you can get a K390 Endura with a LynchNW clip for less", which is why the green 204P remains my only Millie.)
James Y

Post by James Y »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:13 am
James Y wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:19 am
Evil D wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:29 am
How about instead of the "standard" in S30V, they bring it back with Spy27 as the standard steel. Then you'll have a steel that's still fairly new that people want to try and it gets the model back into production with an in-house steel.

I’d rather see the standard Military brought back in Magnacut. I could be wrong, but wouldn’t SPY27 be significantly more expensive? Not only that, but Magnacut will have far superior corrosion resistance over SPY27. Not many forumites seem to care as much about corrosion resistance, but I do.

Magnacut, or at least S45VN for me. 🙂

Jim

Well yeah I'd be all for that, I just figured it's more likely with Spy27 given Spyderco's vested interest in the steel. Why have a proprietary steel if you don't use it in one of your most well known and loved models?

Yeah, I hear ya on that. In a best case scenario, maybe Spyderco can have both SPY27 and a Magnacut versions in the regular lineup?

A person can dream, can they not? 😇

Jim
Nuh Nups

Post by Nuh Nups »

aicolainen wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:07 pm
I don’t think it makes sense to blame the Millie enthusiasts for not buying enough of them.
I have a feeling the Millie (on average) appeals more to users and the PM2 (again, on average) appeals more to collectors and coach fidgeters. That’s going to affect the numbers.

I generally lean towards smaller knives, but larger ones have their use even for me.
I don’t have a PM2 atm and have never owned a Millie, and even though they both classifies as large folders on my scale, I’m way more likely to get a Millie.
I agree 100%. I don’t think it’s the Millie fans who aren’t buying enough. I think it just doesn’t appeal to as many people as the PM2 and PM3. Some people just prefer smaller knives and some people live in an area where they cannot legally carry a large knife. As I have stated before, I love the liner lock on the Millie but it isn’t for everyone. I think there are a lot of people these days who buy a knife for the fidget factor. My brother is one. He fidgets with his Para 3 constantly. At his desk, while driving, sitting outside, you name it. I don’t get it but it’s his knife and that’s what he likes to do with it. The Millie doesn’t have the fidget factor for him and he has stated it’s too big for his pocket.

Please don’t get me wrong, I’m definitely NOT saying all PM2 and PM3 owners only use their knives to fidget. I have three PM2’s and my wife has one. They are very capable models and I know there are a lot of people who use them for their intended purpose and simply prefer a comp lock for closing the knife. It’s just my opinion that the people who do like to fidget would most likely end up buying a comp lock knife, not a liner lock, further boosting the sales of the PM2 and PM3 over the Military.
M.N.O.S.D. member 0026
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Every time I see this thread I think of the blanket scene 🤣

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Maybe if all the devout fans of the Military Model showed support like the PM2 guys do, you’d see more sprints and exclusives.
Compared to Spyderco Certified Aficionados Grand Master and then Level 1-10 I only have these, still I think I've done my fair share for the good of the model.

I would further support if I have what to support, the last Sprint I bought was the REX45; for KW S90V had to ask somebody to buy it for me in the Wild West and the I had to deal with the looks when it was handed to me.

So I would appreciate Sprints that are also available over here in the Land of Restrictions and Expensive instead of some vomiting peas texture dealer exclusive in the Wild West.

FK

Post by FK »

If Spyderco decides to produce a Military blade with compression lock, micarta with full liners, please call it Para XL. Fidget fans will rejoice and power snap it open constantly.
I will not be interested in purchase of this design.

Regards,
FK
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

In my hope (above) for an always-available (that is, never bumped from the production queue) basic Millie (CQI’d original, thanks), I would add that this basic Millie (as distinct from the Millie flash-batches I have proposed) doesn’t need to be S30V, nor always whatever “basic” steel has been chosen. Why not SPY27 (Spyderco’s own design), for a while?
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Nuh Nups

Post by Nuh Nups »

FK wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:52 am
If Spyderco decides to produce a Military blade with compression lock, micarta with full liners, please call it Para XL. Fidget fans will rejoice and power snap it open constantly.

Regards,
FK
😂
Looks like my brother just got a new nickname.
M.N.O.S.D. member 0026
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

FK wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:52 am

Regards,
FK

I've said exactly this multiple times, and from a business perspective it seems like a safer bet to give the Military the 4 way clip CQI which will surely secure more Military sales even with the liner lock, and then bring out the compression lock version and call it either Para XL or Para 4. The Para name alone will probably sell this knife. Then the Military loyal will (mostly) still be happy, all but those who don't want all the extra clip holes.
~David
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

:squinting-tongue
Such a good movie
Evil D wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:42 am
Every time I see this thread I think of the blanket scene 🤣

Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Fireman wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:29 pm

That creep can roll man....
~David
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

those memes need to go on the meme thread lol.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

Leave it alone. It’s perfect as is. Just release a few from time to time.
Let other knives gets messed with.

Leave the Military ALONE!!
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Fireman

Post by Fireman »

resonanzmacher

Post by resonanzmacher »

So I take it I'm the only one who'd wanna see a trailing point blade on a Military?
SharpThinker951

Post by SharpThinker951 »

Preach it brother!!!

As a member of the XXL hand crowd, WE NEED BIGGER KNIVES, like the Millie!! Rex45 gets you bonus points!!!!!
40+ :bug-red Favorite steels are Sexy-Rexy45, Maxamet, S110V, M398, Rex 76 and Magnacut is growing on me.
15+ Benchmades - AXIS lock stole my heart before I bought my 1st :bug-red Sliverax with Compression Lock
2 CRK, 4 Olamic, 2 Vero, 4 MT, 3 Browning slip joints 1980's
5+ Restored Normark pocket knives 1980's - some are originals I bought through Bass Pro Shops
AND a whole lot more, but I think you get the point I have kept most of my childhood hero knives and only added newer and nicer knives!
Knife Steel Nerds Unite!! LOL