Surprised at what I am carrying, nowadays

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Surprised at what I am carrying, nowadays

Post by Doc Dan »

The older I get the less I need a larger knife. I have noticed that my trend has been to ever smaller knives. I was surprised, however, when I got to noticing what is actually in my pocket day in and day out, even if I have something else with me.

The Ladybug Hawk stays in my PJ's. One of the other two is always in my pants pocket when I am out and about. These knives are constant companions. I live in a society where knives are looked at suspiciously and can even get a person arrested, even though the knife is not illegal. Weird, I know. But really, that is beside the point. I find I do not need to cut large things any more. The most I cut is string or open a letter or package. I might peel an apple or cut the skin on an orange. More than that I am around a drawer full of good options. So, I simply don't need a larger knife and do 95% of my tasks with one of these.

I am likely in the minority, but I noticed my own father following this trend as he got older, as well.

Now, where are those Manbug LC200N knives?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
on_the_edge

Re: Surprised at what I am carrying, nowadays

Post by on_the_edge »

I don't think you ARE in the minority in the sense of using increasingly smaller knives as you get older; I actually think that is very typical. My most used Spydie is a Ladybug Hawkbill. It punches well above its weight.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

For me the manbug and ladybug are A.O.K.
(Always On Keys)
:cheap-sunglasses
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
James Y

Post by James Y »

I don’t think it’s unusual at all. Small knives are generally more popular with the mainstream public that still do carry knives. In decades past, “the old man with the little 2-blade pen knife” was very common. Someone who only carries a small Spyderco is merely continuing that tradition. And nowadays, the most-bought and carried pocketknife in the world is the Victorinox Classic SAK, that has a smaller blade than a Ladybug. Most people don’t need much of a carry blade on a daily basis. “It doesn’t have to be big; it only needs to be sharp.”

The only problem I can see with that is if someone has extremely thick fingers from a lifetime of physical labor, like my dad had; or if they have arthritis. That would make using a tiny pocketknife very difficult, if not impossible for them.

I like little knives, but I still prefer to also have a mid-sized Spyderco on me.

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Au contraire. I got rid of my EDC, which was a a 4 inch Bradford in M390 for a Spyderco Native Chief. The Native Chief has a better profile for thrusts and I carry for self defence. Small knives just don't cut it for self defence.

When mid to late Winter settles in and I need to penetrate Winter coasts with layers of shirts I'll be carrying something even more formidable.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
z1r

Post by z1r »

I always have a Ladybug with me. I usually carry several knives. In those rare events that I don't have more than one knife, I typically carry one of my Chaparrals.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

No problem here , I do two knife carry daily. Salt Dragonfly is always in my right pocket and flavor of the day in my left . I’m outside a lot and versatility is nice when far from house . Nice engraving Doc . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Doc , have you ever considered finding a C39 Dyad Jr. frn if you don’t already have one ? Just a thought . MG2
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

I'm not that old yet, but it's been a pleasant surprise to find myself obsessed with Lil' Natives the past few months.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I dunno if it's an age thing or not. MATURITY maybe. And since I don't have any of the latter, I'm staying in the 3-4" range I've been in for the past 2 decades!
Naperville wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:29 pm
Small knives just don't cut it for self defence.

A case where bigger is usually better.
Last edited by Bolster on Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

nerdlock wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:04 pm
I'm not that old yet, but it's been a pleasant surprise to find myself obsessed with Lil' Natives the past few months.
Obsession or need? I can understand it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:49 pm
Doc , have you ever considered finding a C39 Dyad Jr. frn if you don’t already have one ? Just a thought . MG2
If they brought this knife back out, again, I would certainly buy one. A Salt version or a VG-10 version, either one, would be great. No Black FRN, though, although if that was the only color, it would not be a turn off.

In fact, a Salt version with a yellow handle and LC200N or something would be a great knife to have and maybe we should lobby for it.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

I love small knives. I wish Spyderco had a bigger selection in “premium” materials on their locking and non-locking models. Wood scales, better steels, etc. Not exclusives or sprints, but standard production.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

3-4 inch is still my comfort zone.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

If there ever was another Dyad run , a Salt version would definitely draw a lot of interest . Doc another Spyderco that may work for you would possibly be a Meerkat . I also agree that it would be nice to see some smaller knives in the lineup. I still occasionally carry my Kiwi in a William Henry clip pouch that I had modified to close the bottom of sheath . It’s a handy little setup, I can go both ways to carry .
Henry David Thoreau
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I think an original sized Kiwi with FRN scales would be nice. I like the texture of the Maniago scales (but please don't let them make the knife!). If it had a good, modern steel and a linerless FRN scale like on the Squeak and etc. I could be happy.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

Doc, I’m in the same camp.
I’ve carried larger knives my entire life.
These days, a Cruwear Delica lives in my pocket and I find the smaller size just about perfect.