Byrd knife in a Spyderco box

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Byrd knife in a Spyderco box

Post by Wartstein »

The Byrd Meadowlark is a knife I always like to gift to people not (yet) into knives.

- They tend to not carry something large as their first EDC folder, and the Meadowlark is small, but still of a useful size
- It has a steel that is really good for learning how to sharpen
- It is well made, and a more expensive folder often would not make much sense, since total newbs often can´t really appreciate what´s worth more money on those (harder steel...)

So I ordered two Meadowlarks again lately - funnily, one came in the usual green and black Byrd box, the other one though in a red and black Spyderco box. (see pics below)

Not an issue by any means of course, just an observation I´d thought I´d share and ask, if this happens more often (never to me so far).

EDIT: Just right now I took a look at the booklet in the Spyderco box the Byrd came in: It's actually a booklet for a Lil Subhilt!
And there seems to be another (original) sticker under that Byrd model number sticker.
So the misplacing of the Byrd can't have happened in the factory cause, well, the Lil Sub Hilts and the Byrds factory are in different Chinas... ;)

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
skeeg11

Re: Byrd knife in a Spyderco box

Post by skeeg11 »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:36 am
The Byrd Meadowlark is a knife I always like to gift to people not (yet) into knives.

- They tend to not carry something large as their first EDC folder, and the Meadowlark is small, but still of a useful size
- It has a steel that is really good for learning how to sharpen
- It is well made, and a more expensive folder often would not make much sense, since total newbs often can´t really appreciate what´s worth more money on those (harder steel...)

So I ordered two Meadowlarks again lately - funnily, one came in the usual green and black Byrd box, the other one though in a red and black Spyderco box. (see pics below)

Not an issue by any means of course, just an observation I´d thought I´d share and ask, if this happens more often (never to me so far).

EDIT: Just right now I took a look at the booklet in the Spyderco box the Byrd came in: It's actually a booklet for a Lil Subhilt!
And there seems to be another (original) sticker under that Byrd model number sticker.
So the misplacing of the Byrd can't have happened in the factory cause, well, the Lil Sub Hilts and the Byrds factory are in different Chinas... ;)

Smart and rational thinking. Sal said Byrd was looking to upgrade their budget steel in the not too distant future. While this will be a boon to future Byrd PE sales, I am quite impressed with their serrated 8Cr13MoV blades. I have the serrated Hawkbill and serrated Cara Rescue and am quite impressed for a few reasons, actually. The lockup on mine are superior to any serrated Seki Salt I've ever handled. The serrations are not as spikey as the Seki Salts. Although most probably like the section of PE on the tip of Seki serrated Salts, I actually like that the serrations on the Byrd go almost to the tip. I know this sounds like heresy, but after much thought, corrosion resistance aside, I would be hard pressed to choose a serrated Tasman Salt in H1 at half the price over a serrated 8Cr13MoV Byrd Hawkbill from a performance perspective. Was wondering if you've tried any of the serrated Byrd models?

BTW, your friends are lucky to have you as a friend. :winking-tongue
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

skeeg11 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:29 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:36 am
Smart and rational thinking. Sal said Byrd was looking to upgrade their budget steel in the not too distant future. While this will be a boon to future Byrd PE sales, I am quite impressed with their serrated 8Cr13MoV blades. I have the serrated Hawkbill and serrated Cara Rescue and am quite impressed for a few reasons, actually. The lockup on mine are superior to any serrated Seki Salt I've ever handled. The serrations are not as spikey as the Seki Salts. Although most probably like the section of PE on the tip of Seki serrated Salts, I actually like that the serrations on the Byrd go almost to the tip. I know this sounds like heresy, but after much thought, corrosion resistance aside, I would be hard pressed to choose a serrated Tasman Salt in H1 at half the price over a serrated 8Cr13MoV Byrd Hawkbill from a performance perspective. Was wondering if you've tried any of the serrated Byrd models?

BTW, your friends are lucky to have you as a friend. :winking-tongue
I have actually become a total "SE guy" myself in the last year or so... for me rather shallow serrations in ffg work better or at least not worse than PE in almost any task. Plus are a bit quicker to sharpen on a Sharpmaker, hold an edge longer, and would cur/tear apart even when dull, where PE would become pretty much useless.

Still: I think for introducing people to folders who are really new to this, SE is a bit "much".
If they come to like carrying an EDC knife (and Spyderco) my recommendation for the next one would certainly be SE, if a model they like comes in that configuration.

/ No, I never tried SE in a Byrd model... I actually owned only one single Byrd knife myself, and this was actually a PE Meadowlark.
Nice knife, but I clearly prefer the similarly sized Delica (and generally larger folders anyway)

But you are right: Generally and perhaps in a Byrd knife I really should try 8CR in SE:
Since SE holds an edge longer than PE the nor great general edge holding of this steel should be.less of an issue (or none at all), and the corners of the sharpmaker rods (since one can´t use the flats with SE) will be happy and wear less with an a bir softer SE steel...
Actually I was thinking of a Tenacious LW for trying 8CR though, rather than a Byrd. But perhaps I reconsider this!

/ You think my friends are lucky?
Though I just gift them knives in "horrible 8CR" and am to stingy to go right with a more expensive VG10 Delica? ;)

/ Just kidding, as I elaborated above: I actually think the Meadowlark is a great "first knife" for folks who are not even sure if they want to carry any folder at all and are totally new to this.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Did you order from Amazon?
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Sounds like someone recycled the box. ;)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

tonijedi wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:39 am
Did you order from Amazon?
No, I don't order Spydies from Amazon (to be honest: I perhaps would do so with a Byrd Meadowlark if I needed one urgently as a gift and could not find one anywhere else).
It was a reputable European dealer I actually never had any issues with (this box-thing is not an actual issue too, but yes, they should have noticed the misplacing of the knife)..
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

Think they did notice. That is why the byrd sticker is over the original. They needed a box and had an extra.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

A Byrd in a Spyderco box is worth two in the bush. - Wise Greek pocketknife philosopher.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

It might not be an issue for you, but someone out there is wondering why his Lil Sub Hilt came in a Byrd box :grin-smiling-eyes
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I own the Byrd Hawkbill and I know Spyderco found out a chinese factory that can heat treat to their standard. Serrations + 8cr13mov works pretty well on my particular knife ! I've cut a lot of stuff and it's still sharp. I already woul'dve sharpened or at least touched up my PE LC200N N5 by now ^^
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I liked the Wings model unfortunately never thought it would be discontinued and gave up three I had , bad idea on my part .
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

The reason I compared serrated Byrd with serrated H1 was because of the similar grind. In all honesty, the only advantage I can see to H1 as a cutting tool is its corrosion resistance. The Byrd Hawkbill is not to be poohed poohed because of COO. It is a serious tool that can be had for next to nothing. Same can be said of my Cara 2 Rescue. Basically Spyderco technology at an introductory price.