New to K390. Initial impressions=Impressed. blood warning.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fireman

New to K390. Initial impressions=Impressed. blood warning.

Post by Fireman »

K390 got its first blood. I went in for testing for arm shaving sharp as per usual, and… boom, loss of pride and humbled at the capability of K390. I was stropping at .5 micron and it was extremely hair shaving sharp. I wanted to push the envelope and doubled the amount of strokes and that’s when it bit into me. I figured I should try dry shaving my face and that worked too. K390 doubts are laid to rest. We shall see how she (knives are female due to unforgiving if you don’t treat them right and respect them leaving you bloody and wondering what happened) does the next few use and sharpening cycles.

:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Buddafucco

Re: New to K390. Initial impressions=Impressed. blood warning.

Post by Buddafucco »

What did ya get... Is that a Police?
•• Beau
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Endura.
Incredible value.
Nuh Nups

Post by Nuh Nups »

Nice addition you got there. I’ve been very happy with the Seki City models I’ve gotten.

K390 is some amazing stuff. I have 3 Spydercos in K390 and I would love to get more. I’ve been very impressed with how it sharpens and it holds an edge very well in my experience. Hoping to see it in more models. Military and a Chief would be at the top of my list.
M.N.O.S.D. member 0026
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

K390 was a revelation. After years of enjoying M4, K390 behaved similarly but held a really fine edge even longer for me. And it is definitely blood thirsty! So glad to see the full Seki lineup come to fruition. Still hoping Golden gets the same, or 10v.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I would love to see a kitchen knife in K390.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I don't know much about K390. What are comparable steels for edge retention? How tough is K390?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Based on Larrin's testing, edge holding is on par with ZDP-189. He does not have toughness for K390 specifically, but it should be in the ballpark of CPM 10V, which is not bad at all. Much better than ZDP-189.

In my own experience, K390 takes an edge with surprising ease for its vanadium content. I suspect that is from having a surprisingly fine microstructure. Fine edges stay quite stable for me on K390. For a non stainless, it is a favorite of mine. If you have any interest in tool steels with healthy amounts of vanadium, it is very much worth trying.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Just watch big brown bear's video where he stabs a concrete block... I was hesitant to get a police because I was concerned about the tip (relatively thin stock, pointy tip) on such a large blade. After that video I had no qualms. Police 4 lightweight K390 in my pocket as we speak!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I have the Ladybug in my 5th pocket everyday. Have been something like a month or two. It is a steel i really really like ! It hasn't even started to patina even though it's always on me and I do not particularly take care of it.

As said before, the fine edge (only one I use, i usually touch up as soon as it's cutting performance reduces a bit) is really good and I can sharpen it really fast.
Actually, surprisingly fast like Wandering_About said, in 5 min I have my 300/400 edge sharpened and stropped and ready to cut.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:31 am
I don't know much about K390. What are comparable steels for edge retention? How tough is K390?
The experts can tell you about edge retention vs toughness vs hardness vs carbides vs microstructure. I do no scientific testing, don't have a scanning electron microscope, and don't read books on the subject. All I can offer is anecdotal impressions gathered from use. My main concern is that I want the edge to remain sharp.

I've found that my K390 blades stay sharp longer than most. S30V and VG10 seem to wear, and they dull quickly. Maxamet and REX45 get chippy through rough use. K390 doesn't seem to do this after moderately hard use. Frankly, I'm surprised by its level of durability. Maybe M4 comes close, but my M4 knives are pretty, and I don't put them through as rough use. In terms of performance, it does everything I want better than everything else I've used.

The only weakness I've encountered with K390 is that it rust easily. And by "rust," I don't mean "patina." I mean red stuff. So I think that if you use K390, you either have to be diligent about cleanliness, or you have to decide that you don't care. I'm in the latter camp.
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

Question for those that have used k390 around food. I tend to use my knives a lot to cut up food for kids when I’m out. Most times I can wipe off the blade with a napkin, but there is some residue left for hours on the blade, like pizza sauce is a common one. My s30v blade can handle that without a hint of spotting or rusting even overnight sometimes when I’ve forgotten to clean it after getting home. I’m not expecting k390 to do that, but would it be best to stay away from this steel if cutting food is what I do most? Would a few hours of residue make a good amount of rust that will need to be ground off, or will it be mostly coloring and patina on the blade?

I can handle the coloring, patina, and occasional regrind on the belt sander, but I don’t know if I want to have significant rust spots after every use.

Thoughts or help?
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

RustyIron wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:07 pm
Bolster wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:31 am
The experts can tell you about edge retention vs toughness vs hardness vs carbides vs microstructure. I do no scientific testing, don't have a scanning electron microscope, and don't read books on the subject. All I can offer is anecdotal impressions gathered from use. My main concern is that I want the edge to remain sharp.

I've found that my K390 blades stay sharp longer than most. S30V and VG10 seem to wear, and they dull quickly. Maxamet and REX45 get chippy through rough use. K390 doesn't seem to do this after moderately hard use. Frankly, I'm surprised by its level of durability. Maybe M4 comes close, but my M4 knives are pretty, and I don't put them through as rough use. In terms of performance, it does everything I want better than everything else I've used.

The only weakness I've encountered with K390 is that it rust easily. And by "rust," I don't mean "patina." I mean red stuff. So I think that if you use K390, you either have to be diligent about cleanliness, or you have to decide that you don't care. I'm in the latter camp.

Good answer.... but you admit you don't own a scanning electron microscope...so...
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:20 pm

Good answer.... but you admit you don't own a scanning electron microscope...so...
Yeah... my homeboy used to have a whole slew of SEM's in his lab. If you're into interplanetary space probes... well.. that was him. But he has retired, so that resource is no longer available. Nowadays, the resolution of my inquiries is as fine as a Chinese USB camera from Amazon, and my qualitative analyses are now only as accurate as my ability to discern the color of the sparks that come off my grinding wheel. I'm no better than a 17th century blacksmith... and my biceps are smaller. :worried
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

LOL, Rusty, LOL.
FK

Post by FK »

My solution for rust vs protective coating vs food safe.

Carry in RH front pants pocket Endura with CPM 20CV for food,,, cut up bagel with tea every morning. Dunk blade in the tea and wipe down with napkin to keep gunk free.

In nylon belt pouch,,, K390 Stretch or Delica coated with EDCi for utility.

Upper LH shirt pocket is Delica HAP-40 Wharncliffe with micarta and Lynch clip.

Who carries only one Spyderco ?

Regards,
FK
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

I LOVE my k390 endura. I want to get a ladybug and a stretch in this steel. But if Sal wanted to make a k390 sage lw it would trump all of them!
"Some call me...Tim?"
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I'm gonna post my question here, because it relates to how new I am to K390.

I'm a teacher and today I was helping a colleague to do some craft for her classroom. I intended to pierce a little wood stick (the ones from the popsicles) with my ladybug. I did rotate the tip of the blade just a bit, like an 1/8 of a turn both right and left. It didn't require force, or at least not enough for me to notice.

Here's the type of stick I mentionned.

Here's the damage made just by that manoeuver. I really did not expect to have that kind of damage with that kind of action !

Loupe view :

I know lateral forces will induce damage easier, but I thought that k390 was a bit tougher, it clearly snapped.
Any thoughts or experiences on this ?

Thanks much!
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Corrosion report.
I think I am above average acidic with how much I corrode and I sweat a lot because of the temps and duties of work which is part of my reason for my love of LC200N. Been carrying the K390 Endura experimenting with the tip down inside waistband carry which exposes skin to steel. After a day of driving, Voila! Corrosion in one day. I think this steel is a good DLC candidate. I need to look into the steel corrosion treatments for this blade. I think I will polish the blade to prevent corrosion and for ease of rust removal. I do love the edge K390 makes and the weight and blade length of the Endura is great.

Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I am no expert on this steel but I am wondering if this is a case of needing to do a few sharpenings to get rid of the “Burnt” steel?
Ramonade wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:59 pm
I'm gonna post my question here, because it relates to how new I am to K390.

I'm a teacher and today I was helping a colleague to do some craft for her classroom. I intended to pierce a little wood stick (the ones from the popsicles) with my ladybug. I did rotate the tip of the blade just a bit, like an 1/8 of a turn both right and left. It didn't require force, or at least not enough for me to notice.

Here's the type of stick I mentionned.

Here's the damage made just by that manoeuver. I really did not expect to have that kind of damage with that kind of action !

Loupe view :

I know lateral forces will induce damage easier, but I thought that k390 was a bit tougher, it clearly snapped.
Any thoughts or experiences on this ?

Thanks much!