Suggestions for next Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
magicdad

Suggestions for next Spyderco

Post by magicdad »

If a certain wonderful and understanding wife should ask me if I want yet another pocket knife for Christmas, which would you suggest? My current Spydies are listed below, in my signature. If I had to decide right now, I'd choose the Para 3 Lightweight. I prefer a slightly smaller/lighter knife, I'd eventually like to have something in the Para(military) family, and owning at least one compression lock seems mandatory. But this won't be my last Spyderco, so I can get to those objectives later if there's a better way to go for now. Let's say the parameters are $125 or below, and the knife's intended use is as a medium (and occasionally heavy) duty EDC.

This is my last shot at one more knife for the year, boys. My wife is a very patient woman, and is always polite when asking if it's necessary for me to keep clicking that thing open and shut while we're watching Ted Lasso. But I can probably weasel my way into another knife by actually having her get it for me. Oh, the irony. Thanks for any suggestions.
SpydieChef, Smock, Sliverax, Para 2, Para 3, Para 3 LW, Manix 2 LW, Native 5 LW, Sage 5, Chaparral, Harpy, Delica 4, Dragonfly 2, Alcyone, UK Penknife, Tenacious, Roadie, Byrd Cara Cara 2, and 100+ less significant (non-Spyderco) knives.
psylence

Re: Suggestions for next Spyderco

Post by psylence »

If you are looking for something lightweight with compression lock I can suggest to look at Sage 5 FRN. Thinner blade stock (slices better), action is far better than on Para3 LW and overall quality is a bit better.
Current EDC: 135CFP/217GS/152TIP/41PYL5/223PWH/211TIP/244CF90VP
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

I'd echo psylence. I have a couple Para3 LW and just got a Sage5 LW. The Sage is much nicer overall. Just observing the construction- all fasteners are T8 and reduced in number over the P3LW, better jimping, texture of FRN is better, full nested liners, and maybe most appreciated, a pivot bushing.

Don't get me wrong, P3LW is a nice USA knife that shows only what a compression lock knife needs in it's most stripped down form. The Sage5LW is Taiwan showing an evolution of construction in the compression lock that leaves out very little and improves and simplifies everything. I would not feel great about med/heavy use of the P3LW because of the lack of full liners. Sage5LW, while the blade stock is thin, feels much more solid and capable of being used more aggressively.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I would look at a used spyderco and get something of more value but not pristine
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
timlara

Post by timlara »

I've been very happy with the BHQ Sage sprint in M4, though that's a little higher than your budget.

Edit: Didn't see that you already have a UKPK, so I'd suggest the Lil Native for a small knife you don't already have, which is a bit different from the ones you do have.
Tim
SpyderLine

Post by SpyderLine »

I was also thinking he might really like a Lil' Native
Current Top 3
Kapara, Native 5, Pacific Salt 2
M.N.O.S.D #0034

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
-Theodore Roosevelt
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

Sage and Native 5 LWs are great, can get the native in spy27 in your price range.

Though I say this with my second P3LW in the mail. You really can’t go wrong if that’s the knife you want.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

not lightweight, but the number one compression lock knife i'd suggest would be the yojimbo. it's just such a cool knife and the weight of the blade makes the comp lock a joy to use.

i also really like the smoothness of taichung compression locks, so i'd suggest the caribbean. that one isn't small and it's more expensive though, so maybe the sage 5 lw. i'd probably prefer that one to the para 3 as an edc.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Native 5 LW. Excellent working knife.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

For something under $125 I would go for the Sage 5 LW as already discussed. It really does feel like a more substantial knife, and is more refined all around compared to the Para 3 LW. I also think the $125 mark excludes the SPY27 Para 3 LW, leaving BD1N versus S30V as your blade steel. This would also have me lean towards the Sage 5 LW. In my short time exploring Spyderco’s offerings, I have determined that FRN feels better in my hand when backed with liners, so the Para 3 LW just isn’t for me.
magicdad

Post by magicdad »

Thanks for the suggestions and info. I ended up buying myself an early Christmas present, so maybe I'll ask my wife for one of those other knives. After doing some further research, I stuck with the Para 3 Lightweight. Tough decision, because they all seem great. Only a few of my knives are American made, so that was a factor. I'm not weirded out by the 'Made In (anywhere other than the U.S.)' label, as most of my knives were manufactured in other countries. But as the charismatic YouTube reviewer Nick Shabazz mentioned, the P3 LW is "the Spydercoiest of the Spydercos", so being made in Golden felt appropriate.
SpydieChef, Smock, Sliverax, Para 2, Para 3, Para 3 LW, Manix 2 LW, Native 5 LW, Sage 5, Chaparral, Harpy, Delica 4, Dragonfly 2, Alcyone, UK Penknife, Tenacious, Roadie, Byrd Cara Cara 2, and 100+ less significant (non-Spyderco) knives.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

magicdad wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:11 pm
After doing some further research, I stuck with the Para 3 Lightweight.
Sounds like you got what you really wanted all along. Good on ya.

For your next knife, you might want to take into consideration the blade steel. Different materials is one of the things that sets Spyderco apart from the other manufacturers. Recommending what to get is as difficult as recommending which model. Two of the newer offerings are SPY27, a stainless steel developed and offered only by Spyderco, and K390, a tool steel that Spyderco has been using recently. Hope Santa brings you something good. Merry Christmas.
magicdad

Post by magicdad »

Thanks, Rusty. That Spyderco exclusive SPY27 steel does sound interesting. I'll eventually get there. It's a slippery slope brother, as we all know. Lol. Hope you're having a great holiday season.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

To be clear: I never owned one myself (so far), but I´d also suggest the Sage 5 LW over the Para 3 LW (which I had and tried for a good month lately) from all I know and can see.

Why?:
Thinner blade, presumably better slicer (this is what folks also found in the few GOOD comparison vids I saw)
Still probably an a bit stronger tip (? not sure though)
Handle offers more space for four fingers behind the choil just by design, while actually being a bit more compact than the Para 3s
What speaks for the Para 3 LW though: Can be had in full SE

Another small comp.lock knife that must be great: Watu. Thin, delica-ish blade stock, and a lot of cutting edge for the size

Now if it does not have to be a comp.lock:

- Chaparral. Very slim, but also very sturdy built and an extremely good performer due to the thin, but not weak blade.
- Salt 2 ffg SE (LC200N): Superlight, also very good performer. Totally rust proof and very tough steel.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

Wandering_About wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:00 pm
It really is…
Just one more knife...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Netherend wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:22 pm
Wandering_About wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:00 pm
It really is…
... and that M4 Exclusive will come out soon, if I´m correct. For Americans a great options! (The knife itself is a great option for people all over the world of course, just not the shipping and tariffs and so on).
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well, after some recent threads I have to say that overall I've been a little hesitant to suggest knives anymore, it's starting to feel like I (we) are spending someone else's money and then they come back and blame us when they don't like what was suggested. So, my first thought was something very different from whatever you already own, because that's usually how I buy...I'm either trying to fill a void with a design that does something different or I'm buying one that's better than the others at the same tasks. But, while my tastes are very specific, it also seems I may be a little more adventurous than some so I've come to accept that what works for me most likely won't for you.

Anyway. I'm sure the Para 3 will suit you well. I don't own one yet but I haven't ruled it out. It's among a short list of models that are currently offered in SE that I'm thinking about scooping up while they're available.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:38 am
Well, after some recent threads I have to say that overall I've been a little hesitant to suggest knives anymore, it's starting to feel like I (we) are spending someone else's money and then they come back and blame us when they don't like what was suggested. ..
David, you know you are just pissed cause finally we got exposed and can´t hide anymore that all of our knives constantly sleep in a sock drawer and no one here has actually ever used one... :winking-tongue
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:02 am
Evil D wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:38 am
Well, after some recent threads I have to say that overall I've been a little hesitant to suggest knives anymore, it's starting to feel like I (we) are spending someone else's money and then they come back and blame us when they don't like what was suggested. ..
David, you know you are just pissed cause finally we got exposed and can´t hide anymore that all of our knives constantly sleep in a sock drawer and no one here has actually ever used one... :winking-tongue

Yes. It's shameful 🙈

Seriously though maybe suggesting a serrated knife to someone who's never owned one is a bit much. It takes someone who really wants to try something different and even learn a little bit and if you're not that type then it's probably best to just stick with the safe bet.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
magicdad

Post by magicdad »

I read and considered everyone's suggestions, mixing them into the online reviews. I would never blame anyone for suggestion a knife that I didn't agree with them about. It's all so subjective. And I'm only in my sophomore year as a pocket knife collector and enthusiast, so I've just recently starting figuring out my own personal wants and needs. That said, I'd highly recommend the Para 3 LW. I've never handled the standard version, so I can't compare them. But in the nearly 24 hours that I've had the LW :grin-smiling-eyes , I'm loving it so far. Very happy about satisfying the category of compression lock, as tough as it was to choose from among them. Again, I appreciate everyone's input.

I like having a variety of knives, from the classics to the off-beat stuff. My first Spydercos were the Delica 4 and Dragonfly 2, as they are generally well regarded and frequently recommended as a good starting point for the brand. Same with the Kershaw Leek, CRKT Pilar*, Kizer Mini Sheepdog, Civivi Elementum, etc. But then I'll get something less conventional, like the CRKT Snap-Lock, SOG Ultra XR, or Spyderco Roadie. Having a well-rounded cast is part of the fun, of course.

*I don't care for the original Pilar, but have much love for the Pilar 3 D2. That's an EDC staple for me. It was recently lowered a notch on my list by, you guessed it, the Para 3 LW. Time will tell whether or not that's due to new knife infatuation.