Favorite small spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Favorite small spyderco

Post by sal »

Hi Glob,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
kobold

Post by kobold »

Bolster wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:09 am
sal wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:06 pm
...I personally believe that knives have been getting smaller over the past 50 years and I think that trend will continue. The result of "laws" for a "civilized society" and public perception and acceptance...

That's a trend that needs to be strenuously resisted, IMO. Clearly, the long goal (for the USA, not speaking of other countries) is to have a population incapable of self defense by depriving it of (1) the tools to do so--not that a folding knife is much of a SD tool, but it's better than nothing in a pinch; (2) the willpower to do so; and (3) undermining the morality of doing so. Can we challenge the elite enforcers who live in gated communities with private guards and never worry about personal safety--at a time when homicides have jumped up 30% across the nation in a year? I think so, with effort. I've managed to persuade at least two friends (who previously thought that only redneck hicks still carried knives) to start carrying. It took some gifting, cost me some money, but by showing friends that carrying a knife is convenient and prudent, that respectable and thoughtful people do it, and by giving them a quality (3-4 inch, ahem!) Spyderco to carry, I was able to bring two bros back into the fold. I'd like to think it's possible to resist the wholesale pacification of a society with patience and persuasion.
+1
Human autonomy and freedoms should be universal.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
99Dirk

Post by 99Dirk »

Dragonfly dressed up in Jade from Santa Fe Stoneworks.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

The Dragonfly. Not only is the D'fly my favorite small Spyderco, it's one of my favorite small knives period. My biggest problem with it is my wife regularly "borrows" my nice HAP40 D'fly and never wants to give it back.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
99Dirk

Post by 99Dirk »

Apologize if this a double. Tried posting earlier but it didn't get posted.

Far and away my favorite small model is the the dragonfly, my current is a dressed up jade version I picked up from Santa Fe Stoneworks.
TomH

Post by TomH »

Love Crickets, and I wish the Lava would return.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

It's the dragonfly, because of the control.of the blade. Usually I don't like choils, but the Dragonfly uses the concept so smoothly that it's just perfect.

I also don't consider the Delica a small folder, for me, it's a medium size (my folder and fixed blade size categories are different).
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

Xplorer wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:10 pm
The Dragonfly. Not only is the D'fly my favorite small Spyderco, it's one of my favorite small knives period. My biggest problem with it is my wife regularly "borrows" my nice HAP40 D'fly and never wants to give it back.
There is an easy fix for this problem. Get her one for Christmas. I didn't wait for Christmas but got my wife a dragonfly in ZDP that she carries everyday. Happy wife happy life.

Picking out my favorite small spyderco is like picking out my favorite child. Not going to happen. I will just say I enjoy playing with and using my Dragonfly, Ladybug, and Chaparral quite a lot.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

lilshaver wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:04 am
Xplorer wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:10 pm
...Get her one for Christmas....
Great timing on that suggestion! Thank you. I'm ordering one now.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
SpydieFlicker

Post by SpydieFlicker »

My favorite is the damascus d-fly, but I hope to get the wharnie k-390 d-fly, and do a blade swap with them.
bmstrong

Post by bmstrong »

Techno 2. I have a love/hate relationship with it. I love Marcin's design's but the CTS XHP steel is dated at this point. I'd love to see a refresh for 2022.

I originally planned to move to the WATU, when I first saw that original picture, I about jumped out of my seat. Almost everything I was looking for visually. Sadly it's not full Titanium and the blade length is over the small size.
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

Chicago. I’d love some upgraded sprints.
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

I carry (only) a Dragonfly everyday, with almost zero exceptions.

Daily, camping, backpacking, fishing, hunting, everything - dragonfly clipped in my coin pocket.
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Endela
40mm

Post by 40mm »

Not only is this Dragonfly my favorite small Spyderco, it's currently my only Spyderco and once again my only pocket knife. I keep dabbling with Benchmades and even just tried a small Sebenza but they all end up getting passed along. Something about this specific package of Dragonfly model with serrated H1 that just does it for me. In fact, in a moment of weakness I sold this knife.....this exact knife, and then bought it back. Yes I have mental issues. I blame Sal.
BB44C933-8BB7-4E5A-9264-B5D547D913DA.jpeg
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

Hard to say, what is small, but I think the UKPK qualifies as small, so the UKPK is my favorite small Spyderco. I would even say it is my favorite small knife overall.
I really was surprised by how much I like this knife. It works so great for the most tasks I need a knife for. Absolutely not every task but still most of the tasks.
PWork

Post by PWork »

Dragonfly. It's been my primary working/EDC knife for some time now.
Paul
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Dragonfly for me as well. It beat out the Cricket, Manbug, Ladybug, and my others. The McBee might unseat it soon, we’ll see.

Some of what I term as medium sized knives might be considered small by others, but to me they are medium and so not on this list.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
SpyderLine

Post by SpyderLine »

Blnd wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:49 pm
I carry (only) a Dragonfly everyday, with almost zero exceptions.

Daily, camping, backpacking, fishing, hunting, everything - dragonfly clipped in my coin pocket.
Do you carry some sort of a fixed blade with you while hunting and fishing then?
Current Top 3
Kapara, Native 5, Pacific Salt 2
M.N.O.S.D #0034

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
-Theodore Roosevelt
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

1 Kopa
2 Spot
3 Jester
:bug-red-white