Favorite small spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Matus

Re: Favorite small spyderco

Post by Matus »

Air is one of the knives I should have kept. Super cool. But I would prefer one in stainless steel. Maybe S90V or something along those lines.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Chaparral!
"Some call me...Tim?"
bigboned

Post by bigboned »

Tatanka…..
Sorry had to.

Hawkbill ladybug salt, almost renders every other knife useless it’s that good
Andy
Necker - Ladybug Hawkbill Salt
Mon-Fri - Delica4 in Cruwear
Sat-Sun - Para3 in Cruwear

Urban K390 (2.61"), Bow River (for slicing jerky)

Want to try- PM2 CF M4 OR Cruwear , GB2, Bradley Bowie
Gone - Delica ZDP189, PM2 Cruwear, Para3 LW BD1N, Para3 S30V, Junction, Ti UKPK
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Urban and Roadie, a serious dark horse in the lineup. Cannot wait for the Roadie XL. :grin-smiling-eyes
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Chaparral, Meerkat, McBee, Manbug....
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Oh this is a real easy one for me>> even in spite of the fact that Spyderco has made several great small bladed models over the years. Without even thinking "The Dodo" model is my all time favorite small bladed Spyderco model I've ever owned or used. And I'm hoping that there were be new Sprint Runs of the Dodo with super blade steels and maybe even new handle materials.

I know some folks don't like the ball bearing lock for whatever reason. I love the ball bearing lock on the Dodo and I have a couple of the original 2003 models of that Eric Glesser masterpiece>> and I've used the one blue PE model several times over the years. There really isn't even a close second in the small blade category to the Dodo model IMO.
Alexander135

Post by Alexander135 »

My #1 would be the Dragonfly.
Followed by: Chaparral, Native 5, and Roadie.

Dragonfly: Easily the best little big knife I have encountered thus far. It's incredibly light, has an ideal steel in VG-10 (decent edge retention, good corrosion resistance, ergo low maintenance steel), the blade shape is ideal - pointy, thin, some curvature but not much to the blade (easier to sharpen on stones), the handle is much larger than you would expect and my medium length, large width hands fit it perfectly. The wire clip holds it secure and you can barely feel that it's there. Lastly the way the dual choil is shaped gives great control over the tip, moreso than many other knives, including other spydercos. I think this is due to the tip being straight ahead, the handle fitment, and the relatively short blade being what makes the knife so good at detail work.
Lately I have been carrying larger knives, about PM2 size or larger. I haven't carried my dragonfly in awhile but just writing this makes me want to sharpen and carry it again. Might have to at the next chance.

Chaparral: I consider this a reasonable overbuilt, minimal knife. A bit contradictory in wording but I feel that it's fairly strong with the steel liners and strong backlock, yet it's small and capable. Ultra thin blade, thin handle, and the wire clip makes it disappear in the pocket. My main reason I don't carry it as much is that the backlock is uncomfortable for me. It's just too thin, not to the knifes fault, it's just a function of the design. Eventually I want to make, 3D print, and maybe glue a small part on the backlock just to make the force distribution wider for comfort.

Native 5: I have one in Spy27, good stuff. The ergonomics on the handle fill my hand very well. This, along with it being a bit wider than the others makes it feel great to use. If you are cutting through something difficult, like 3+ layers of cardboard, a thinner knife handle like the chaparral tends to want to rotate. This makes a stronger grip necessary when using a thinner handle which induces additional fatigue. The Native 5 doesn't have this issue. It is just wide and thick enough to fit the hand well, but thin and light enough to be unobtrusive. I don't love the clip. Functionally it works pretty well, but I would rather have a wire clip or the standard clip that's used on the Delica.

Roadie: The only "people friendly" spyderco I have. Where I live, people are VERY sensitive to knives. I've had negative comments on my Bug and Ladybug even, but none on the Roadie yet. The Roadie and a very basic Victorinox remain my knives of choice for professional gatherings or whenever I may be around strangers and using my knife close to them.
The ergonomics are great, and I love how smooth the handle is. It's easy to open two handed and has a strong lockspring. I'm a nail biter so I really appreciate the double dent. This along with the coil give it good safety and the not so pointy, gently sweeping blade shape make it very people friendly. It's small enough to be a keychain knife, but large enough to fill the hand reasonably well.

Special mention to the Spyderco Efficient. I don't have one but would like to get one someday. This knife looks so good, albeit a bit heavy imo. It's small and looks very comfortable. I would love to see a light weight version of it. I hardly ever see it mentioned & think more people need to know about this model.

I'm sure I missed mentioning some things but that's what I can think of about these models off the top of my head.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

For me there's "small", and then there's "tiny" so I guess it depends on your tastes. Knives like the Native 5 and Para 3 are what I'd consider small, and the Ladybug is tiny. The Dragonfly is probably on the upper end of tiny or lower end of small, and a Bug is so little I almost don't even consider it an actual knife it's more of a functional piece of jewelry.

Anyway of those, I really like the Ladybug with a fob on the end for a little more grip, and up from that I really like the Native 5.

Excluding folders, without a doubt my favorite small/tiny knife is definitely the serrated ARK.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

sal wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:06 pm

I just received a D'Fly Wharnie in K390 and I'm planning to do a real "What do I really like to use?" comparison.
I subconsciously had a feeling I read that somewhere, so I had to do a search.
So happy to know that a physical examples of this knife actually exist. My most anticipated Spyderco of 2021.

Thanks for sharing, it now seem somewhat closer to realization, though I should probably make it my most anticipated Spyderco of 2022
:grin-big eyes
bjz

Post by bjz »

Alexander135 wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:15 pm
Special mention to the Spyderco Efficient. I don't have one but would like to get one someday. This knife looks so good, albeit a bit heavy imo. It's small and looks very comfortable. I would love to see a light weight version of it.
Get one and take out the backspacer! Mine weighs in at 105g (maybe 3.65oz)…not a lightweight BUT the balance shifts forward making it FEEL lighter and more nimble. In fact, I just went and swapped out my N5 LW for my efficient!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I just bought a Ladybug SE Salt. Great little chainsaw.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Alexander135

Post by Alexander135 »

bjz wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:31 am
Get one and take out the backspacer! Mine weighs in at 105g (maybe 3.65oz)…not a lightweight BUT the balance shifts forward making it FEEL lighter and more nimble. In fact, I just went and swapped out my N5 LW for my efficient!
Thanks. I plan to get one regardless, buy I would not have thought to try that :)
Swapping out out over the Native 5 is big praise.
Pig Iron

Post by Pig Iron »

I refuse to call the Delica small :) So McBee, a knife that makes me happy and is very useful.
LakeOconee

Post by LakeOconee »

Chaparral: light, thin, and a super-slicer.
:bug-red-white MNOSD Member #0037
hereiamu1

Post by hereiamu1 »

No love for the Cricket? I love the oval shape when it is closed, works great for opening boxes and makes a nice money clip.
olywa

Post by olywa »

Been packing the all-black Manbug Wharnie in VG10 with a fob. I keep it nestled in the 5th pocket of my jeans and I never cease to be amazed at how much utility I get out of that darn thing.

If that K390 Dfly Wharnie doesn't drop soon I think I'm gonna bust.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

As a small non-locking spydie, Urban is my all time fav. There is no competition in that departement. When it comes to locking small ones there is some competition between the Dfly2 and the Chaparral but I have to give the winning crown to the Dfly2 which is Sal's best design ever. Superb ergos and superb organic leaf shape blade, swedge and all. I keep begging for a sub 3 incher Dfly ... THAT would be the dream spydie for me. I often carry a Dragonhawk and a leaf K390 Dfly... these 2 little suckers could take care of everything you would throw at them.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Currently, GITD 20CV Jester tied with hawkbill Ladybug Salt--these are also a pretty great pair together. I'm thinking about adding a K390 Manbug or Ladybug.

The Ladybug Salt Hawkbill can take on jobs a big folder will struggle with effortlessly.

I'm a little odd, but I consider the Dragonfly on the small side of being a full-size folder. To me, a full-size knife is 3.5" or larger, and the Dragonfly, at 3.33" is just under that.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Dragonfly2 has a blade length of 2.25”-2.3” depending on the model.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
glob

Post by glob »

Ladybug and Manbug. Have a hard time deciding between the two