Favorite small spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sethwm

Re: Favorite small spyderco

Post by sethwm »

Have to be the dragonfly. My favorite spyderco period. I don't want it to be, there are larger knives that I like better. But I'm not able to carry them in as many situations as I can the dragonfly, and in places where I need a bigger knife, I usually have one hanging on a hook, out of pocket. When I need a knife in the moment, it's usually a smaller task and the dfly is perfect.

I wear XL gloves and the ergos are great. I have a 20cv model but I'd prefer LC200N or Magnacut!
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

bleasure wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:33 pm
I'm so confused by what I am looking at.
NM, the blade looked longer in this picture for whatever reason, and some image searches for vtoku delica showed up some mislabeled dragonflies that made me think there was some dramaticaly different delica model. Still, curious about where the DF fits in everything, like if it's a one-off design type or not
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

bleasure wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:51 pm
bleasure wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:33 pm
I'm so confused by what I am looking at.
NM, the blade looked longer in this picture for whatever reason, and some image searches for vtoku delica showed up some mislabeled dragonflies that made me think there was some dramaticaly different delica model. Still, curious about where the DF fits in everything, like if it's a one-off design type or not
Haha, sorry to confuse you! That is my go to angle for taking photos, and sometimes it alters the look of the length of a knife or blades. That knife is 100% a Vtoku2 Dragonfly.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
DerRock

Post by DerRock »

My favorite little knife

z1r

Post by z1r »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:07 pm
z1r wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:39 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:17 am
V-Toku2? Nice.
Yep! With a nice, fresh edge. Definitely a very easy steel to work with.
Sweet, I have the Ladybug version. Would love a DF2 in V-Toku2!
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:43 pm

Haha, sorry to confuse you! That is my go to angle for taking photos, and sometimes it alters the look of the length of a knife or blades. That knife is 100% a Vtoku2 Dragonfly.
not at all, if anything it was a really cool experience seeing what i thought was the dragonfly's like, endura to its delica. kinda makes me want this imaginary knife!!
SRT392HEMI

Post by SRT392HEMI »

Dragonfly, Lil Native, and Chaparral.
SpyderLine

Post by SpyderLine »

Currently my favorite small Spyderco is the Native 5. I have the regular g10 version and the Salt version and I don't know if I could pick a favorite. I also have an M4 Lil' Native on the way that I'm excited to try out!
Current Top 3
Kapara, Native 5, Pacific Salt 2
M.N.O.S.D #0034

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
-Theodore Roosevelt
Team Sick

Post by Team Sick »

Dragonfly 2. Great blade shape (love the swedge) and ergonomics. A really useful knife. I want to get a K390 one to carry as a daily secondary.
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

K390 dfly will replace my 20cv if anything ever happens to it.
sal

Post by sal »

Interesting question and interesting answers. Funny that some like Vivi and Darby think of mid to large models as the "small Knife". Also quite a few variations in the models. I personally believe that knives have been getting smaller over the past 50 years and I think that trend will continue. The result of "laws" for a "civilized society" and public perception and acceptance.

I almost always have a "small" knife with me for public use and a larger all purpose folder depending on where I am and what I'm doing. For the past 7 or 8 months, I've been carrying a Manbug Wharncliffe as my small knife. It's performed very well for me. I keep it sharp. I've come to appreciate the Wharncliffe blade shape on a small knife. (Michael's influence, no doubt). I just received a D'Fly Wharnie in K390 and I'm planning to do a real "What do I really like to use?" comparison.

If you wouldn't mind, could you share why you like the particular model?

sal
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Small knives are my favorite category.

Dragonfly 2 and the Chaparral are my favorites. I like back locks on something this size (plus they stay closed at the bottom of the pocket) and both I think are as small as you can get with a comfortable full grip. I like the urban a lot as well for the same reasons, and it didn't lock, which was important here for a bit.
Ric

Post by Ric »

Dragonfly.
Very good action - I can operate with one hand easily.
Comes in many variants.
Perfect for EDC.

I do not like:

Ladybug/Jester:
I cannot flick it open.
Too small for good 1 hand operation.

McBee
Too heavy for EDC
Titanium scales - for EDC I only carry G10/FRN.

Lil Native:
A tank.
Compression lock not as good to operate as a Para 3.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Hands down for me the Air. That M4 in a thin wharnie blade can get surgically sharp. I'd love to get a Pingo if they ever come back and a Kiwi.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

sal wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:06 pm
...I personally believe that knives have been getting smaller over the past 50 years and I think that trend will continue. The result of "laws" for a "civilized society" and public perception and acceptance...

That's a trend that needs to be strenuously resisted, IMO. Clearly, the long goal (for the USA, not speaking of other countries) is to have a population incapable of self defense by depriving it of (1) the tools to do so--not that a folding knife is much of a SD tool, but it's better than nothing in a pinch; (2) the willpower to do so; and (3) undermining the morality of doing so. Can we challenge the elite enforcers who live in gated communities with private guards and never worry about personal safety--at a time when homicides have jumped up 30% across the nation in a year? I think so, with effort. I've managed to persuade at least two friends (who previously thought that only redneck hicks still carried knives) to start carrying. It took some gifting, cost me some money, but by showing friends that carrying a knife is convenient and prudent, that respectable and thoughtful people do it, and by giving them a quality (3-4 inch, ahem!) Spyderco to carry, I was able to bring two bros back into the fold. I'd like to think it's possible to resist the wholesale pacification of a society with patience and persuasion.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Is there a k390 manbug wharncliffe coming?
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Sal, the reasons I like my small spydies are first and foremost, ease of carry. I like pairing up the lil buggers with a larger primary. The old adage: 2 is one and 1 is none.

Dflys -- I like the handle curvature along with the arrow head blade shape with the choil and gimping, makes a nice pinch point.

Mcbee -- I love the robust build quality and attention to detail with the dimpled texturing throughout. I love titanium frame locks and the utility of the blade shape. I would absolutely love a larger version (mcbeast)! I did add a lil leather lanyard on the Mcbee for a bit extra purchase...boy is she tiny.

Jester/ladybug -- so light and yet so capable, fun little knives. I'd like to see the jester back in production, absolutely love that finger rest on the spine!
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

sal wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:06 pm

If you wouldn't mind, could you share why you like the particular model?
The primary use for my Ladybug is when I ride. My mountain biking is at a level where carrying things in the pockets detracts from the experience, but the weight and size of the Ladybug makes it almost like carrying nothing. And as you know, when you're in the wilderness, there are times when a knife is very handy. The Ladybug is my knife of choice because the pointy tip is great for cutting out thorns and doing other delicate work. Here in Socal, cactus and thorns are an everyday hazard.

My Ladybug is K390. I enjoy the material, but if I had any sense, I'd probably prefer stainless. The K390 rusts when neglected, even in this dry environment.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Despite saying the DF2 is my favorite "small" knife, I always carry at least one or two Ladybugs I keep one on my keychain and one in my 5th pocket. So, on days I drive, I have 2 Ladybugs, 4 knives total. When I ride my bike, only one Ladybug, but instead of the keychain knife, I have an Endura 4 in my backpack.

What initially attracted me to the Dragonfly is the look. That blade gives it a sports car look, it's a very attractive knife. That, I think, works in its favor in a crowd. No one thinks it is "offensive" looking. But more than that, it is a small,very lightweight, capable knife. Enough handle to give you good control and additional leverage over the Ladybug. Ijust picked up a salt version for a waistband jogging knife.
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

For me the Delica is my small knife and a favorite, but the Dragonfly and Chap aren’t bad if I “had” to go smaller than a D4.