Favorite small spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
z1r

Re: Favorite small spyderco

Post by z1r »

Favorite small locking Spydie is my ZDP DF2. Non locking is my Spy DK; new favorite squirrel knife.
CPM-Greg

Post by CPM-Greg »

1. Firefly - Companion to the Subvert
2. Vrango - Small EDC
3. Lil' Lum Blue Nishijin - Fifth pocket
4. Pingo Ti - I carry this knife when I want a non-threatening or widely-legal blade
5. Squeak Ti - I use this knife to open packages with new knives.

CPM-Greg
Attachments
Pumpkin Trio 1.jpg
Thinking about which Taichung blade to get next.......
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

Oddly enough the Co Pilot. :smirk. Now if only we could get it reintroduced. ;)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Chaparral FRN.

In my personal "size categories it falls into the "smallest-I´d-go / tiny" slot.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I think Michael Janich has mentioned this before, but there’s a lack of resolution in the knife vocabulary.
I don’t feel that something like the Chaparral, Delica and Native 5 should be classed with the Dfly and bugs.
The prior would be comparable to a compact pistol, while the latter would compare better to sub-compacts in terms of controllability and capability.

Talking about small knives I automatically think sub-compact, maybe because I rarely carry something bigger than a Salt 2/Native 5.

Anyhow, my favorite small/sub-compact knife has turned out to be the DF2. It wasn’t trouble free relationship from the gate, but we’ve worked out our differences and we’re currently in a good place.

I also have a soft spot for the Manbug and will probably try a ladybug at some point. Really want to try the Jester too, if it’s ever released in a more obtainable version.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Of the small Spydies that I own, the Lil Native gets my vote. Mine is the S90V/CF sprint though, so it's a little extra bling. A friend years ago had a Kiwi, and I really did like that model, although I have never owned one of my own, much to my chagrin.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Janlica. The reground blade is small enough to fall in the small category. Some may take issue with the handle size. That’s why I like it so much. The Urban is fantastic as well.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

For a long time it was the Chapparal.
But now that I own the Ladybug (the one in k390), i'd say this one !
The cutting edge allows for a lot of stuff, not everything but a lot.

And for those who might think it's too small to use : if I can flick it, you shoud be able to use it :face-clouds
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
FK

Post by FK »

Delica
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
z1r

Post by z1r »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:17 am
V-Toku2? Nice.
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

DF2 is my favorite small knife, and is always carried clipless in my pocket. That one is easy.
I would also say the Techno. Techno is my overall favorite knife, but it is carried clipped as my primary knife. I would still consider it small, although obviously very hand filling.

Honorable mentions... Chaparral FRN, Urban, Rhino.
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

Hawkbill Dragonfly is a beast of a little knife. So much my wife took and and gave back her leaf blade Dragonfly
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

I've recently changed my mind about my favorite small knife. Normally, I'm a big knife fan, but there are times when diminutive size is required. The Dragonfly is a little too big for a bottom-of-the-pocket knife, and if I'm going to use the clip, I might as well go with a Native. What I carry when I need "small" is the Ladybug.

If I measure the curve of the edge on both knives, the Ladybug gives me 1.875". The Dragonfly is 1.940". That's only 0.065" difference.

The length of the closed knife is 2.500" on the Ladybug, and 3.350" on the Dragonfly, for a difference of 0.850".

So the Ladybug is over 3/4" smaller than the Dragonfly, but the cutting edge is only 1/16" smaller! The Ladybug is a LOT of knife in a TINY package.
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

vivi wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:54 pm
pacific salt

👍
anycal

Post by anycal »

G10 Native 5. But in terms of most used,

Peter
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

z1r wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:39 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
V-Toku2? Nice.
Yep! With a nice, fresh edge. Definitely a very easy steel to work with.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

The ladybug was my first Spyderco so as my favourite small knife it has a sentimental attachment. I seem to have accumulated quite a lot of them too :)

The Jester and Hummingbird are also favourite small knives that seem to gather alot.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

“Favorite small”? There’s my problem.

I always have my Manbug Salt in my LFP on a ring with my truck key and car fob, but it isn’t a favorite. It’s there because it “punches above its weight” (in the way a Ruger revolver is “built like a tank”).

And I have a bunch of small Spydies besides the Manbug Salt. None is a favorite, even though I admire each and every one.

Some are DF2-blade-length (DF2, Poliwog; Pingo, Lil’ Nilakka); some are shorter (Meerkat; Spin; Squeek; Ladybug Hawkbill Salt; Roadie; Balance); others are a little longer (Chaparral; Urban; Lil’ Native; Air; Vrango; Techno2). I have them because achievement of a design’s intent is a fascination to me, and each fascinates me.

Like some others here, I prefer PM2-sized Spydies and larger, but if I had to reduce all my Spydies to one that is smallish, I could live with the marvelous Chaparral.

ETA: However, if ever the Lil’Native slip-joint drops, I might give up the Chap’s X-acto qualities for the added jurisdictions that a stout little slippie would offer, especially in Boston and Europe, where a last-resort fist-filling reverse-grip edge-out defense might prove necessary, remembering, of course, never to employ a downward stroke, absent a lock…).
Last edited by wrdwrght on Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
I'm so confused by what I am looking at. This is a Delica... fly? A Dragona? What Delica is made with these handles and that blade shape? For the longest time I've been confused by where the Dragonfly fits within the different knife families, bc its blade and handle shapes resemble *no* other lineage I've seen (like Endura-Endela-Delica, Military-PM2-PM3, etc.). But this is like looking at some living missing link. I've never been crazy about the Delica's lines, but this like, Bigger Dragonfly looks *really* good!