Lil Native or Chaparral and why?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Lil Native or Chaparral and why?

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:07 pm
Like many others, I have and enjoy both models.

Between the two though, I like the Lil Native more. I prefer the ergonomics and I like the scale thickness/blade thickness more on the Lil Native.
Almost makes me want to try a Lil Native - or actually (just) it´s ergos/handle... I know that I´ll always prefer the blade of the Chap, but perhaps the Lil Native could feel even better handlewise
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Had both, gifted away both! Wire clip on lil native constantly Gave me a hot spot. The chap I didn't care for the hard to press backlock....I much prefer the native 5.
kobold

Post by kobold »

I like the Chap more, its XHP blade slices better, I like its backlock, my maple and raffir noble copies look more attractive, and after removing the pocket clip it really takes up no space at the bottom of my pocket.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
tactikool

Post by tactikool »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:07 pm
Like many others, I have and enjoy both models.

Between the two though, I like the Lil Native more. I prefer the ergonomics and I like the scale thickness/blade thickness more on the Lil Native.

Wandering_About wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:05 pm
Gonna throw this out there... I'm one of those strange people that doesn't like jimping. The lack of jimping on the Lil Native is quite nice, to me.
Jimping is not missed in the Lil Native! ;) I don’t mind jimping on larger knives but on smaller knives I think it’s less necessary and I love that it’s not included on the Lil Native.

I’ll throw my hat in this camp as well. I find with the LN that jimping just isn’t necessary for the size of the knife and the tasks this blade is used for.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Cowboyfromhell wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:05 pm
Wire clip on lil native constantly Gave me a hot spot.
Did you mean Chaparral? Or maybe you meant the regular spoon type clip but it was a typo? The Lil Native does not have a wire clip.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

Chappy, and it ain't even hard. Cheaper, lighter, thinner handle. thinner blade, longer blade, wire clip, and slightly more novel steel.

All this and the chap is probably the best back lock one can find considering the internal stop pin. I don't feel like the compression lock lends itself ergonomically to shorter handles either.

Triple extra bonus: the gray FRN can be dyed any color.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

need I say more...

8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

nerdlock wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:41 pm
need I say more...

Very nice lineup! :smiling-heart-eyes
-Nick :bug-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

nerdlock wrote:
need I say more...

So do you prefer the Lil Native or the Chap now ? :')
Nice collection!!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Cowboyfromhell wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:05 pm
Had both, gifted away both! Wire clip on lil native constantly Gave me a hot spot. The chap I didn't care for the hard to press backlock....I much prefer the native 5.
Just in case the main reason you don´t own a Chap anymore should be the hard to press lock bar:
(Just shared in another thread) the easy remedy for that (at least this is what all the folks report who tried the mod, I did not need to do it on my Chap) viewtopic.php?f=2&t=80687#p1253309

... For me it was the other way round: I quite iked my Native 5 FRN (it actually was the "old" S35VN version), but when I got my Chap I sold the Native (Chap sits more stable in my hand in real use and is not uncomfortable at all, and the 2mm blade is just an amazing foundation to turn it into a laser cutter)
People and hands are different... ;)
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:43 pm
The Lil Native does not have a wire clip.
This is a stock photo but all of mine came with wire clips. I've switched them out with Lynch deep carry clips like nerdlock but all had wire clips.

Edit
Ahh the backlock has a spoon clip.
-Turbo
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

It’s funny.
I got the chap quite early in my knife hobby and it emerged as a logical purchase because of its specs and ratios.

The Lil’native came much later and was much more about me being seduced by the idea of a small comp lock, which made me a bit ignorant of the specs.

Once in hand/pocket, the table turned. The Chap (LW) is pocket knife perfection. I can’t imagine it not being a permanent inhabitant of my sock drawer.

The LN, well I don’t think I’ve given it a fair shake, but my fascination quickly turned into indifference after using it for a while.
It fits my hand very well, but it carries weird. I’m not stoked about the thick blade stock either, but as long as I don’t like how it carries, I haven’t really had a chance to evaluate how much the chubby blade would affect its utility.

I really, really had high expectations for the lil’native and used to hope for the release of both a backlock salt and a slipit.
I think I might like it better as a backlock/slipit, but my enthusiasm for further lil’native versions has cooled way down and don’t see myself going further down that road atm.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I like the Chaparral better. It is thinner and the blade stock is thinner. For some locales the blade length might be too long, such as Boston (I heard Chicago no longer has a 2" law, but don't know for sure). I like the way the Li'l Native is a bit more hand filling, but it does no ride in the pocket quite as nicely. I don't use clips. I like to drop my pocket knives down in my pocket. The Chap tends to turn belly up, but the LN rides like a small brick. That is not to say I don't like the LN. I do. And for some things it is better, but for an overall pocket knife I have to choose the Chaparral.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:57 pm
nerdlock wrote:
need I say more...

Very nice lineup! :smiling-heart-eyes

Thanks Nick, @Wartstein! Mush, If it wasn't for your harping the qualities of the LN in these threads, I wouldn't have given this little bug a chance, and as many of you have guessed by now, I don't regret giving this knife a second look at all.
😊
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Two very different knives in my experience. I knew right away the Lil Native wouldn't work for me. For its size, I just found it to bulky and clunky. Way too thick of a blade for a knife that size, I just find it pretty goofey looking honestly.

I had a Chap LW for a good 6 months. I liked it quite a bit at first, but then started to find that the thinness of the knife made it less than ideal in hand with extensive use. I also had a problem with the wire clip losing retention fairly quickly. Super slicey, good amount of cutting edge, fairly cheap in price. The Chap is the winner here, in my eyes.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I'm not a big comp lock fan and all of the cool sprints and exclusives in the LN are all comp locks. Why oh why can't we get some back lock action?

As for the Chap, I sure would like to see some new colors. I like gray, but it is time for some variety...and nothing garish, either, please.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

aicolainen wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:24 am
The Chap (LW) is pocket knife perfection. I can’t imagine it not being a permanent inhabitant of my sock drawer.

LOL. Agreed. Same here.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:23 am
...but then started to find that the thinness of the knife made it less than ideal in hand with extensive use..
For 99% of my uses this isn't an issue for me but I agree and find it gets uncomfortable during extended use. I'd love to have the Chap blade (or even better a wharnie) in a thicker handled model for those times I leave all the cardboard recycling until the last minute.
-Turbo
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I like my Chap in maple for a gent's carry. Smooth, attractive scales. Wire clip.
The Lil' Native has great ergos for my medium hand. I prefer the backlock version but there have been no sprints/exclusives. The blade is too thick, IMO and I miss jimping.
SRT392HEMI

Post by SRT392HEMI »

Do you prefer skinny gals or full-figured ladies?
The Chap is incredibly thin in hand and pocket, and is possibly my most slicey folder. Also very gentlemanly.
The Lil Native is chunky for it's size, but that heft does give you a sense of toughness like your wielding a mini Shaman. It's not as fidgity as it's bigger comp lock brothers, but more so than the Chaparral if that's important to you. Both are in my work rotation for days when I prefer a smaller folder.