Lil Native or Chaparral and why?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Lil Native or Chaparral and why?

Post by Doc Dan »

Which one do you prefer, the Lil Native or the Chaparral, and why?

The Chaparral has a bit longer blade.

The knives are almost exactly the same length.

The blade stock is thicker on the LN and the overall knife is thicker. The Chaparral might slice better, but the LN is more comfortable in some ways due to being thicker.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JRinFL

Re: Lil Native or Chaparral and why?

Post by JRinFL »

Neither are on my list of must haves, but I do have one Chap. I'd always choose the thinner stock on a knife of that size.

That said, I'll likely pick up a Lil' Native slippy if they ever drop. This is just for completeness of my Native collection.

Edited typo.
Last edited by JRinFL on Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Holland

Post by Holland »

Chaparral without a doubt in my opinion.

Better fit and finish, internal stop pin, thinner blade.

Also personally, I like the ergos better and I really like xhp
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I have and love both.

But a hard-use Lil’ folder is probably unnecessary whereas an easily-manipulated (because small and thin) super-slicy one is essentially an X-acto folder.

So, a Chap.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

The Chaparral because it has the deeper carry wire clip and the aesthetics, as well as a slight thumb ramp with jimping.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

if i'm buying it because i need a great, smaller knife, chaparral.

if i'm buying it because i have to follow a 2.5" rule at work again, lil native.

personally, i'd go with a comp lock though because it's more fun to fidget with, which is something i tend to do with my smaller knives.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Chaparral.

The handle fits my hand, whereas it’s a little short on the LN, and the LN blade stock is unnecessarily thick for its size. I find the comp lock a little hard to manipulate on such as small handle, as well.

I’m hoping the Metropolitan slipjoint will closely follow the Chap’s ergos!
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

Chaparral. Thinner, slicier, and while not necessarily as stout as the lil native - it is deceptively capable for its size/appearance. I prefer the smaller, slimmer chaparral as it simply fits better for loose pocket carry - and the chap just looks better doing so - with many varied scale choices..

The lw chaparral is actually lighter than the backlock lil native which is lighter than the comp lock lil native. Most of the other chaps actually weigh more than the lil natives - both lock types. This hidden weight may be one reason why the chap can perform so well. I also prefer the tight backlock on the chaparral vs lil native backlock, at least the ones I have. The chap is a sleeper when it comes to use. It looks like a gentleman’s knife, but is way more capable than just opening mail.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Chap.

No jimping on the lil native ruins it for me.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

Oh, and I definitely prefer the tighter backlock open/close bias of the chaparral to the lil native backlock. Could just be the ones I have, but the lil native backlock is not quite as tight on bias to close as I would prefer, especially loose in the pocket.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Lil Native, with compression lock. The Chaparral sits in a size spot that I just don't carry much. I'm either going to go tiny (Lil Native) or jump up to something like a Sage.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Chap is probably the only one I don't have from the smaller backlocks, but would choose it over Lil' Native.

Having Dragonfly 2, Urban, Robin 2, Pingo and Lil' Native in my collection, I found LN by far the worst to hold in hand, mostly due to lack of jimping.

It's also really blocky (not even a cutout on the spydiehole when opening), has DF2 sized hole which I found small even for my M/L sized hands and without a deep carry clip, half of the knife is out of pocket.

Sadly, the best executed Spyderco I have up to date, and had to put it in the drawer fairly quickly, after trying to love it for a week.

Now I'm contemplating between titanium, CF/G10 and FRN Chap.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Lil Native is the winner for me. For my hands it just feels more comfortable than the sleek Chaparral. I really wanted to like the Chap and had the OG and also the LW but I couldn't jive with the ergonomics.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Gonna throw this out there... I'm one of those strange people that doesn't like jimping. The lack of jimping on the Lil Native is quite nice, to me.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
restless ghost

Post by restless ghost »

Chap. Thinner blade stock.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Two great knives. I prefer the chap overall by a decent margin over the comp lock Lil native and a narrower margin over the Lil native back lock.

The chap's sliceyness just edges out the superior ergos and clip (for my preferences) of the Lil native back lock. The regular Lil native has no advantages over the back lock for me (I don't prefer small comp locks or wire clips).

I also like that the chap has various scale options as standard production. Sun and Moon, wood, CF laminate, raffir Noble, etc. Far preferable to the Lil native "you can get it in whatever color you want as long as it's black" ethos. And I don't generally have the time/patience to try to track down sprints/exclusives.
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

Chaparral for the Taichung fit and finish plus the thinner blade stock.
In that size of a knife, I dont need a hard use, thicker blade stock
bjz

Post by bjz »

Both! My chap LW and LN comp lock both have fantastic fit and finish. The blades are obviously different beasts. Hard to explain why in a succinct manner, but these each see about the same amount of pocket time at home (split three ways along with a UKPK). If I had length restrictions on a non-office work knife, it would be the lil native every day…it’s a sturdy and comfortable little bugger when the job requires more muscle
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Not fully entitled to weigh in, cause I never even just held a Lil Native.
But I love my Chap FRN and by all specs I´d clearly prefer it over the Lil Native.

The Chap is pretty unique even in Spydercos lineup. For me almost a role model for how a really small folder should be (The old song: Reasonable thin bladestock, thin carry, but very good ergos, best backlock I ever experienced, extremely sturdy build, but still rather light).

The Lil Native looks cool, no doubt, but is just not what I want in a small folder. Actually heavier than the Chap FRN, the Chaps cutting edge is more than 15% longer, (and almost as long as the Native 5s), and the Lil Native has a much too thick bladestock for its size for my liking.

For me the contender for the Chap in the very small knife arena would be the DFly, but not the Lil Native.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Like many others, I have and enjoy both models.

Between the two though, I like the Lil Native more. I prefer the ergonomics and I like the scale thickness/blade thickness more on the Lil Native.

Wandering_About wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:05 pm
Gonna throw this out there... I'm one of those strange people that doesn't like jimping. The lack of jimping on the Lil Native is quite nice, to me.
Jimping is not missed in the Lil Native! ;) I don’t mind jimping on larger knives but on smaller knives I think it’s less necessary and I love that it’s not included on the Lil Native.
-Nick :bug-red