Spydie vs pocket: Spydie always wins (pictures wanted!!)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Spydie vs pocket: Spydie always wins (pictures wanted!!)

Post by Wartstein »

On pretty much all of my pants the right front pocket gets destroyed over time by the Spydies I always carry one of.
The pockets not only get worn out at the rim, but literally develop a hole where the handle ends of the knives sit in the pocket, so I have to sew a patch over it.

I think this process gets accelerated if:

a) One is very acvtive (moves the legs a lot)
b) actually uses / draws the knife rather often
c) The knife is heavy compared to the surface of the handle end that hits the inside of the pocket
d) the pockets are rather loose and/or of light garments

What do YOUR pockets look like? Bring on the pics! :winking-tongue

Two examples below:

-Pic 1: Bouldering pant, even made of rather heavy garment - it developed a huge "knife hole" over time (in the original green garment), a beige patch was sewn over that hole, but has developed a hole itself already

- Pic 2
: This is what the RFP of all my jeans look like: Patch (in the same jeans garment) sewn over the hole that has developed over time...

Last edited by Wartstein on Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bearfacedkiller

Re: Spydie vs pocket: Spydie always wins (pictures wanted!!)

Post by bearfacedkiller »

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

haha, great thread. Pictures to come :)
vivi

Post by vivi »

somehow I don't have this issue. I think carrying IWB or in a side leg pocket hells, which is where my knives often are. even my thin running shorts that carry my roughly textured Yojumbo IWB are fine.
:unicorn
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I donated a few pairs of jeans recently that were worse than this. The clip will chew away at the top of the pocket and the scales will grind away at the material under the clip, behind the clip, and around the rivet. (Especially if the scales are G-10.)

I had a knife years ago with G-10 scales that seemed to make a hole at the lowest point on the handle before it did around the clip, like the one pictured in Darby’s post above. It was the only knife I owned that ever did that.
Attachments
BF4914EE-DAA4-40D1-B53A-40494BD5E344.jpeg
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

vivi wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:09 am
somehow I don't have this issue.
me neither. 🤷🏻‍♂️
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
somehow I don't have this issue. I think carrying IWB or in a side leg pocket hells, which is where my knives often are. even my thin running shorts that carry my roughly textured Yojumbo IWB are fine.
ladybug93 wrote:
vivi wrote:
me neither. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Ok, folks, that kills my theory that knife holes in the pocket (not just wear!) are a thing with people who are very active (a lot of leg movement) and/or use/draw their folders rather often. Guess that´s absolutely true for both of you.

Hmmm :thinking - the next knife mystery to me? (Number one would be why I almost can´t bring tool steels to corrode a bit in my use, but others have spots on tool steel blades after just one day in pocket...)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:04 pm
vivi wrote:
ladybug93 wrote:
vivi wrote:
me neither. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Ok, folks, that kills my theory that knife holes in the pocket (not just wear!) are a thing with people who are very active (a lot of leg movement) and/or use/draw their folders rather often. Guess that´s absolutely true for both of you.

Hmmm :thinking - the next knife mystery to me? (Number one would be why I almost can´t bring tool steels to corrode a bit in my use, but others have spots on tool steel blades after just one day in pocket...)
i wear these jeans often and always have a knife clipped to the pocket. there is a little wear showing, but just barely. the only real damage i've had is when the blade tip snags a fold in the fabric. that's only happened with thick knives like my yojimbo and my 4max because the thicker blade leaves more room for fabric to work it's way in.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I've only had a little fraying at the top. Some of my pants do have wear where my phone or wallet end. Maybe rubbing against things where it sticks up

- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Uh... there was a deep dive into pocket wear on another thread recently.
Unless one likes a frayed pocket for a fashion statement,
the problem can be solved with an emery board.
Here was my take on the subject at that time.
search.php?keywords=emery&t=86449&sf=msgonly
Last edited by Mad Mac on Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Holland

Post by Holland »

I dont have this issue fortunately. The only knives I clip to my pocket these days are my GB2, Chap 1, and Mantra 1 and the laminated CF and Ti create very little friction
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:04 pm
vivi wrote:
ladybug93 wrote:
vivi wrote:
me neither. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Not sure. Could be the fabrics I wear. My work pants are truspec 24/7's which are mostly nylon I believe. Couldn't tell you the last time I wore jeans.

Even carrying roughly textured knives like the Siren IWB on running shorts I haven't gotten wear.

I used to have this issue when I wore jeans and ususlly carried RFP, but I don't get it carrying RFP at work in the truspecs.
:unicorn