Spydersaw anyone?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fireman

Spydersaw anyone?

Post by Fireman »

I remember this one. Never owned one though. I figured a collector might like this.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1108879296 ... -1-8&cns=1
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Wartstein

Re: Spydersaw anyone?

Post by Wartstein »

You are my man... Fireman! :winking-tongue

Started at least two threads about this, cause I´d really like to see a return of the Spydersaw!

Here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87504 is a poll I initiated about this topic and here viewtopic.php?t=82630 another one about a Dyad / double bladed folder, one blade actually being a saw!

Many said in the discussions that something like the smallest Silky saw would be much cheaper, better working and offering better ergos than the Spydersaw. This might be true, but the Spydersaw has the advantage of extremely light weight and very slim size.
It weighs only 3oz (so about like a Manix 2 LW), but offers a 4.9 " blade (clearly more than a Police)
The most comparable Silky (Pocket boy 130) has twice the weight (6oz) and offers only marginally more blade (5.1").

So for the weight of the smallest Silky I could bring a Spydersaw AND a Pac Salt for example (or, as said, make it couble bladed in the first place)

So for a "throw it in your pack, just in case" the Spydersaw would be perfect.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

It was over a year ago when the Spydersaw and Silky saws were discussed. At the time, I had neither. The discussion caught my attention because just a few days earlier I ran into a situation where I could have used a saw while on the trail, but I didn't have the tools.

I was inspired by everyone's recommendations, and ended up with the Silky Gomboy 210. It's accompanied me on a couple of adventures, and once to specifically do trail maintenance. It cuts through small branches nicely, and is amazing on prickly pear cactus. After using the fifty-dollar Silky, I'm not sure anything from the Spyderco mold would make me happier.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

RustyIron wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:27 am
It was over a year ago when the Spydersaw and Silky saws were discussed. At the time, I had neither. The discussion caught my attention because just a few days earlier I ran into a situation where I could have used a saw while on the trail, but I didn't have the tools.

I was inspired by everyone's recommendations, and ended up with the Silky Gomboy 210. It's accompanied me on a couple of adventures, and once to specifically do trail maintenance. It cuts through small branches nicely, and is amazing on prickly pear cactus. After using the fifty-dollar Silky, I'm not sure anything from the Spyderco mold would make me happier.
I totally get what you mean, if one plans on actually using a small folding saw quite a bit on sa trip/hike, and minimal pack weight/size is not a main co concern: Perfect choice!

But as a just in case (emergency) tool in a very light and small pack the Spydersaw would be pretty much ideal. Weighs next to nothing, but offers a much longer saw blade than any multitool I am aware of.

For under 6oz one could bring a Spydersaw/Pac Salt pair (or instead of the latter a light fixed blade): Not bad for building an emergency shelter or the like.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I had the Spydersaw tested and put away . Nice concept but it was a directional not bidirectional blade . The steel was also less than to be desired. I have for years used a KoA fixed saw , cuts like crazy through limbs in sizes that would seem impossible for its size . This summer plan to get a Silky but haven’t decided if it will be a folder or fixed . I’m leaning towards another compact fixed to keep in gear box of my Polaris UTV . If Spyderco upgraded I certainly would consider one but honestly don’t see that happening. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Let me know if anyone buys it. It’s brand new/never used, so a collector would be thrilled.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've been wanting one of these forever for work. I often need to trim small branches and I'm either whittling them down with my EDC knife or I'm using the saw on my Vic Spirit which does work really well but is also very short so something like this to add to my backpack would be fantastic.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Fireman wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:36 pm
I remember this one. Never owned one though. I figured a collector might like this.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1108879296 ... -1-8&cns=1
I just looked at the Esty page , the price is actually not as bad as it looks . Mine went to a collector in the Chicago area for almost twice that much . I bought mine from a dealer on a close out sale for around $30 . It sat in my tool box for years when it should have been in my sock drawer . MG2
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Alexander135

Post by Alexander135 »

I would love to see this come back.
What steel do y'all think would be ideal for it?
I love VG-10 but I wonder if something tougher would be more ideal. Maybe Spy27?
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Even though I own several sizes of Silky folding saws, I’d love to have a Spydersaw. The market for it may be too small to make business sense. I wonder if Spyderco still has the handle molds?
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I'd love to see the Spydersaw return, and the Spyderench!!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

If they made the blade bidirectional in a SK steel, I definitely would try one out . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Yeah I had one of those "Spydersaws" once and I ended up trading it. I did like the Spydersaw but I found a Swiss made brand of pruning shears and saws that I liked even better>> they go by the name "FELCO". As good as the Spydersaw was I still have to say that the FELCO tools won my heart over with their quality. I would be interested to know who used to make those Spydersaws>> I highly doubt if Spyderco themselves made them.

The only gripe I had with that Spydersaw was that I couldn't find a proficient way to sharpen it. Whereas all of FELCO's tools are relatively easy to sharpen. There must have been a reason that the Spydersaw didn't last long in the main line up.
Kale

Post by Kale »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:01 am
-snip-
But as a just in case (emergency) tool in a very light and small pack the Spydersaw would be pretty much ideal. Weighs next to nothing, but offers a much longer saw blade than any multitool I am aware of.

For under 6oz one could bring a Spydersaw/Pac Salt pair (or instead of the latter a light fixed blade): Not bad for building an emergency shelter or the like.

I had similar thoughts about carrying a lightweight saw for work at the community gardens... where we're constantly doing a lot of odd jobs and it can sometimes feel like I spend half my time fetching "the right tool." At one point I tried to find the "Spyderco of saws" but I didn't come up with anything particularly promising (nothing better than a multitool).

Victorinox has nice saws, but they're all on the smaller size... which I'm hoping might eventually change. Their new "Foldable Paring Knife" has a liner lock and a 4.3 inch blade, yet it still somehow weighs only 1.5 ounces. That seems like a perfect vehicle for a light camping/gardening saw.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Kale wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:59 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:01 am
-snip-

I had similar thoughts about carrying a lightweight saw for work at the community gardens... where we're constantly doing a lot of odd jobs and it can sometimes feel like I spend half my time fetching "the right tool." At one point I tried to find the "Spyderco of saws" but I didn't come up with anything particularly promising (nothing better than a multitool).

Victorinox has nice saws, but they're all on the smaller size... which I'm hoping might eventually change. Their new "Foldable Paring Knife" has a liner lock and a 4.3 inch blade, yet it still somehow weighs only 1.5 ounces. That seems like a perfect vehicle for a light camping/gardening saw.
You are so right about the "saws" that you find on The "Victorinox" multi-tools being great to work with. The Saw on my Victorinox Swiss Tool X has gotten me out of a jam on more than one occasion. However the "saws" on the Victorinox multi-tools and camp knives also have the problem of being difficult to sharpen. But the saws do cut really fast and smooth on those Victorinox tools.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:05 am
Nice concept but it was a directional not bidirectional blade .

The pull-only blade has been popularized by Japanese woodworkers. It allows for a very thin kerf and/or a very lightweight blade. I would want any backpacking saw to be a pull-only blade, for weight savings. You need a much heftier blade to push and pull.

(For contractoring or other fast & heavy work? Yeah, push pull doesn't require the care and attention that pull-only does. But it also means a wider kerf, which means more energy required.)

I own one (in sock drawer of course). Very handy for pruning trees. It bites through wood almost like it's powered. When it needs sharpening, this baby is *definitely* going back to Golden...but it's still frighteningly sharp and many years old.
Last edited by Bolster on Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:29 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:05 am
Nice concept but it was a directional not bidirectional blade .

The pull-only blade has been popularized by Japanese woodworkers. It allows for a very thin kerf and/or a very lightweight blade. I would want any backpacking saw to be a pull-only blade, for weight savings. You need a much heftier blade to push and pull.

(For contractoring or other fast & heavy work? Yeah, push pull doesn't require the care and attention that pull-only does. But it also means a wider kerf, which means more energy required.)

I own one. Very handy for pruning trees. It bites through wood almost like it's powered. When it needs sharpening, this baby is *definitely* going back to Golden...but it's still frighteningly sharp and many years old.
I see where you are coming from and it is a very good point . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

I have and love the Spydersaw, great tool.

However for camping / hiking, its a bit big (although very light.) I think an ideal sweet spot for a 'Saw 2.0' would put it between the size of the Spydersaw and a Swiss Army Saw.

Probably the best and easiest option would be to take the Endura Wharncliffe handle, and replace it with a sawblade. There's nothing on the market thats in that 'goldilocks' zone of pocket saw, and it would save Spyderco the need to produce a new handle design / expensive mold tooling.

Basically this, but a sawblade:
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

If it cuts like a Silky, I'm game.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

mark greenman wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:00 am
I have and love the Spydersaw, great tool.

However for camping / hiking, its a bit big (although very light.) I think an ideal sweet spot for a 'Saw 2.0' would put it between the size of the Spydersaw and a Swiss Army Saw.

Probably the best and easiest option would be to take the Endura Wharncliffe handle, and replace it with a sawblade. There's nothing on the market thats in that 'goldilocks' zone of pocket saw, and it would save Spyderco the need to produce a new handle design / expensive mold tooling.
You think so (that it is a "bit big")? I´d say it is probably (one of?) the smallest (and certainly lightest) of the dedicated folding saws - if it was any smaller, it would not have a lot benefits over the saws multitools offer?