chaparral cqi?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sethwm

chaparral cqi?

Post by sethwm »

Anyone have recent experience with the chaparral? I sold mine a couple years ago because I just couldn’t stand the pressure from the back lock on my thumb. Is this something that’s been addressed recently?

I’ve seen the recommendation to alter the spring placement, maybe I’ll try again with that because I’ve been getting a hankering for another chap. But I’m afraid I’m just gonna sell it again.
araneae

Re: chaparral cqi?

Post by araneae »

I've had 5 Chaps dating back to the very first run and none had stiff lock bars. I picked up 2 more at the second sale for myself and 2 for others. Of those, 2 had stiff locks, I loosened one up by shifting the spring forward tonight, worked like a charm.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Does shifting the spring fix it? Or just make it less awful?
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

sethwm wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:46 pm
I just couldn’t stand the pressure from the back lock on my thumb. Is this something that’s been addressed recently?
Tension is related to spring tension. The spring is just a bent piece of metal. Put it in a vise and remove some of the bend. Ain't no big deal.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

sethwm wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:46 pm
Does shifting the spring fix it? Or just make it less awful?
I moved the spring on my CF Chap a couple years ago and I think it made a huge difference. It's perfectly fine now (not less awful). I don't think I had to move the spring on my Chap LW or Maple. They're pretty good out of the box.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have two, both perfect. A back lock is always going to have tension on the blade, that's how it operates. The lock bar, under spring tension, constantly engages the tang of the blade. A mid-lock back lock might be more stiff because of the leverage, the pressure being greater, at least I think so. You don't want it too loose. You can, however, take off the scale and pull the little bar spring forward and it will put less pressure on the lock bar. Do this in a small increment.

I don't know if I explained this clearly. Anyway, that's my take on it. Easy fix.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

HERE viewtopic.php?f=2&t=80687#p1253309 you can see the easy mod that lessens the spring tension.

I never had to do this though to my Chap. I like that it offers a bit more resistance, and the lock also broke in quite a bit.
I hope Spyderco will not change anything here, cause, as said, for those who don´t like it there is the mod anyway...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Added to my post above: I actually don´t think that the Chap has more spring tension than other Spyderco backlocks.

That the lock might be a bit harder on the thumb for some, is probably just a slight trade off that comes with what makes this knife so great: The for a small folder reasonable thin bladestock (and by that lockbar) and the overall ultra thin and slim carry, while still offering very good ergos.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kobold

Post by kobold »

On the maple, the latest version, there is less space for the spring bar to be moved IIRC. Another change is the chamfered lock bar edges.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

Mine are all recent models and the lock bar doesn’t seem stiff, it’s just that it is very thin. If I am messing around with it a lot it makes my thumb a little sore. If I’m just using it during a regular day it doesn’t bother me. My Native LW is thick enough that it doesn’t bother me under any circumstance.

They are such excellent knives that I wouldn’t let it stop me from owning one. Great ergonomics and such a thin blade make for a wonderful cutting tool. I have three and I’d love to add a carbon fiber model as well.
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Ok I pulled the trigger on this. I'll try the mod if necessary and report back what I find out.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I hope it works for you. It is a very nice knife. I'm sure you could post it on the Swap if you would prefer something else.
Coffeetron

Post by Coffeetron »

got mine last year, spring is about same as the rest. some might perceive it as more as its thinner than on most mid locks.
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

I found the chamfering of the lock bar quite a bit more comfortable.

I have several Chaps and the lock bar tension has varied. The above mentioned mod has resolved any issues for me.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Moving the spring works quite well. Even if one moves it the tiniest bit.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
LakeOconee

Post by LakeOconee »

The spring adjustment worked very nicely for my elder hands.

Having a newer model with the lockbar chamfer helps too.

Loving the thin-ness and slicy-ness of the Chap :)
:bug-red-white MNOSD Member #0037
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Ramonade wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:59 am
Moving the spring works quite well. Even if one moves it the tiniest bit.
A little bit makes a big difference. You can only move it so far before it won't work at all anyway
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

This thread really makes me want to carry my Chap FRN again. It has been pushed a bit in the background by the Salt 2 ffg SE as a lightweight outdoor option lately
Looking forward to using the Chap as my as I always call it "bushcraft-claw" again. Paired with a larger fixed blade it's great in that role, and often very underestimated concerning its strength and what it can take.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Having too many knives is a problem. When something as good as the chap can be relegated to sock drawer duty for the longest time, one realize one is quite spoiled.
Lately I’ve really brushed the dust off it and carried it quite extensively until yesterday when I noticed it was about to dig its way through my back pocket seam.
That was a sad realization. I often carry a DF2 loose in my back pocket without issue, but I guess the added length of the chap puts more pressure on the seams. Using the clip probably eliminates the problem, but that’s sadly not an option in many circumstances due to laws and sensitive people.
Need to work this out so I can keep carrying it as much as it deserves.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

aicolainen wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:10 am
Having too many knives is a problem. When something as good as the chap can be relegated to sock drawer duty for the longest time, one realize one is quite spoiled.
Lately I’ve really brushed the dust off it and carried it quite extensively until yesterday when I noticed it was about to dig its way through my back pocket seam.
That was a sad realization. I often carry a DF2 loose in my back pocket without issue, but I guess the added length of the chap puts more pressure on the seams. Using the clip probably eliminates the problem, but that’s sadly not an option in many circumstances due to laws and sensitive people.
Need to work this out so I can keep carrying it as much as it deserves.
I clearly prefer the Chap over the DFly (but would certainly own a DFly if there was no Chap). Where the DFly really shines though is when it comes to light weight. Even the FRN Chap has almost twice the weight (60g vs 34g), and that will also contribute to it being more of a "pocket destroyer". Especially since the comparably "high" weight is distributed on a relatively small surface - the very thin handle end.

That being said: I think we just got to learn to live with more or less damaged pockets, my friend, and find fixes for that ;)

ALL of my pants did heavily wear out (the RFP in my case), many developed holes.
Most have patches sewn over those holes already.
On some those PATCHES have holes themselves again:

-Pic 1: Bouldering pant, even made of rather heavy garment - it developed a huge "knife hole" over time, a beige patch was sewn over that hole, but has one itself already

- Pic 2
: This is what the RFP of all my jeans look like: Patch over the hole that developed over time...