What scales to put on my Rex 45 Shaman and other mods?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fireman

What scales to put on my Rex 45 Shaman and other mods?

Post by Fireman »

I have a newly acquired Rex 45 Shaman. I was thinking of doing some mods. I want to get a deep pocket carry clip, new back spacer and scales. The new mods will help preserve the original parts other that the blade and internals. What mods did you do? Pics are helpful. I like the idea of titanium scales, ti back spacer and Ti clip aka the Ti-Rex Shaman. I have heard good things about the skinny scales that take out the handle hump and change the feel of the knife as well as Strider style scales. What are your mod experiences? What anti rust treatments do you do? I also thought about dehorning the knife to make it more comfortable with no shape edges except for the edge lol. As much as I like sharpening choils, I will not do that to this knife. I am thinking about “Nub” surgery as well to prevent the knife from not closing fully and not beating up my trigger finger. After a few min of fidgeting, my pointer didget got sore. I feel I would rather mod the knife nub over modifying my closing method. I also feel it is safer to remove it so it is more likely to closes all the way by not hitting my finger. I am a knife fidgeter and I need to go to knife fidget anonymous. I could remove the nub entirely or remove just the part impacting my finger at an angle. Thanks for your input :usflag :respect :cheap-sunglasses :party-face
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Fireman

Re: What scales to put on my Rex 45 Shaman and other mods?

Post by Fireman »

Since this got zero responses, I guess modding knives is more an instagram thing (I don’t do social media). I will post what I eventually do and maybe we can change the modding dynamic a bit here.
Vaugith

Post by Vaugith »

The burnt orange scales are a great thanksgiving color! I'll be carrying mine tomorrow. The nub delete- highly recommend carrying the knife for a month before you make up your mind to do that. I ground off the nub on my first but got used to the timing on my second shaman and now regret doing the first. You honestly don't even think about it after a while. I haven't found my shaman to need any dehorning at all. All ti sounds heavy to me on this model... Maybe I'm crazy but I enjoy it just the way it is. Outside of fall I do swap the burnt orange off though.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I hated the nub for the first 2 hours or so, but got used to it pretty quickly.

I would recommend you check out some Micarta scales, one way or another. If you wanted the skinny ones, I think Fireside makes them in Terotuf which is similar to Micarta.

I don't care too much for the blingy mods, but I have put after-market micarta scales on a few of my knives and love them.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

I like RTG choices of materials, micarta and rex 45 should complement each other well. If I was going to do a back spacer it better have a bottle opener.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I will be carrying the burnt orange scales tomorrow for Thanksgiving! I am a lover of polished linen micarta going back to my childhood and a predilection for titanium. I found unpolished linen micarta for $70 and Titanium for $130. I think I will start with the titanium deep carry clip and let my mind stew over the options for scales for a bit. I think this knife needs a deep clip for my wanting to keep this from getting lost when I am more active. I would like to lighten it up a bit but not sure how that will happen. I even saw titanium screws for another Franklin. Any suggestions for the back spacer? the Ti scales come with a spacer already. My intention is a hard use knife and not a peacock bling knife.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

First mod and sharpening done…
Nubectomy done.
Muuuuuuch better closing.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Nothing is more beautiful than burl to me.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Burl Ives?
I am more of a Lauren Bacall type.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

So today I got to clean, lube, polish the washers till they were a mirror, polish the ball detent path, sand and polish the detent hole opening, dehorn all the sharp edges and take out some of the spring tension in the compression lock.
Results?…
Major success.
So much smoother.
Falls like a guillotine when spring is fully pushed in.
I can now front flip the shaman with a bit of wrist.
Wrist flick open without too much force.
Pinch the compression spring a bit to get over the ball detention and open with just a bit of wrist action.