poll: preference of production or exclusives/sprints?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Preference? Production or exclusives/sprints?

production
38%
exclusives/sprints
23%
exclusives (more than sprints)
4%
sprints (more than exclusives)
13%
don’t care
22%

Total votes: 112

standy99

Re: poll: preference of production or exclusives/sprints?

Post by standy99 »

Bit of both. Production and sprint.

Don’t mind the occasion 2am wake up to buy something I really like. Have pretty much got most of what I wanted in sprints from the plethora of dealers that do ship.
( getting a M4 PM2 jade with DLC was a 2 day planning event that turned out fruitful and makes the knife more special so I see a good out of a bad :winking-tongue :bug-white-red :bug-red )

Glad that not all sprints are available to be shipped to Australia as I would have less money.

Just the other week picking up a Para 3 lightweight in M4 from BladeHQ for $122 as easy as I did was sweet ( or minty )
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
vivi

Post by vivi »

voted production. patiently waiting for swicks and subway bowies, then my collection will feel complete for now.
:unicorn
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

I like a mix of production, exclusives, and sprints. But I do not like so many exclusives and sprints that they cut off the availability of the production models.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Production for sure. I only care about the steel, and less so the color. Offer magnacut, cruwear, s90v, s110v, k390, 10v regularly (on different models) on black g10 and I'll be satisfied
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I voted “sprints (more than exclusives)” because “production” (i.e. supposedly readily available) will predominate. At least usually…

The question really turns on proportion. I’d give “production” 75% of Spyderco’s factory effort, sprints 15%, and exclusives 10%. My sense is exclusives have eaten increasingly into “production” effort.

I don’t like dealers/distributors wagging the dog, nor do I like five-minutes sellouts.

I’m far more interested in what Spyderco wants to sprint—among all its dealers—to heighten our interest.

Just my opinion. Spyderco will do what it must.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

1. Production
2. Spyderco's own sprint runs
.Exclusives.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Production.

I think I own only one exclusive (distributor exclusive?), and it's not even rare; my DLC S35VN PM2.

Jim
attila

Post by attila »

I strongly prefer sprints over exclusives.

Production models are usually uninteresting but easier to get than exclusives, so that’s nice.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

attila wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:50 pm

Production models are usually uninteresting but easier to get than exclusives, so that’s nice.
Can you elaborate why?
SpyderLine

Post by SpyderLine »

I voted that I don't care. I prefer production models due to availability, which is still very limited in certain high demand models. I don't normally get too excited about sprints or exclusives. I have a few and the main reason I've purchased them is to try a new steel, and if I like the color that's just an added bonus!
Current Top 3
Kapara, Native 5, Pacific Salt 2
M.N.O.S.D #0034

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
-Theodore Roosevelt
Vaugith

Post by Vaugith »

When I was newer to the knife world and was still searching for that one perfect knife, production would have been the vote. But now I've found a model that meets my needs perfectly and selfishly want sprints just to try different steels for fun.
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Vaugith wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:22 pm
When I was newer to the knife world and was still searching for that one perfect knife, production would have been the vote. But now I've found a model that meets my needs perfectly and selfishly want sprints just to try different steels for fun.
Which model?
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I like a lot of the sprints and exclusives, but I am internet lazy so I cant keep up with what is going on. Next, I see a Spyderco I like and then find out it was a sprint or exclusive. Then I look to see it sold out. Finally, I find one on EBay marked up 300% and I pass.
Last edited by Archimedes on Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soulrack

Post by Soulrack »

I don't really dislike any of the methods but my preference would be more production knives like the crucarta PM2. Knives that we all know will be crazy high in demand need to be made for a period of time long enough to avoid paying twice the street price on the secondary market. The first Magnacut folder release has got to be a production model even if the wait after the initial sell out is exceedingly long. Otherwise the secondary market is going to obscene. I would happily pre-pay MAP to secure all of the Sprints/Exclusives I'm interested in, even if the wait is a year.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I like cool combinations (mostly Micarta and Tool Steel), but I don't need any form of exclusivity to feel cool or add value to my collection. I use my knives!

I appreciate that the exclusivity makes it worthwhile for vendors to order up cool combinations (like K390 + Ranger Green), but honestly I'd rather Spyderco just Crucarta them all straight from the factory.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

I've found this thread super useful. Thanks everyone who participated. I wasn't expecting the preference of sprints over exclusives, but everyone's reasoning makes a ton of sense to me.
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

I like both for different reasons. Production is great for regular carry…sprints and exclusives are cool to collect, pick up, look at and carry when you’re in the mood. I don’t do the whole safe queen thing but I understand wanting to keep certain knives looking nice.

A nice compromise for me is the higher end production stuff like the k390 seki models. You can deck those out accordingly and not feel like you’re disassembling something “exclusive” or whatever descriptor you wanna use.
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Manifestgtr wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:08 pm
I like both for different reasons. Production is great for regular carry…sprints and exclusives are cool to collect, pick up, look at and carry when you’re in the mood. I don’t do the whole safe queen thing but I understand wanting to keep certain knives looking nice.

A nice compromise for me is the higher end production stuff like the k390 seki models. You can deck those out accordingly and not feel like you’re disassembling something “exclusive” or whatever descriptor you wanna use.
I think "irreplaceable" is the term I'd use.
attila

Post by attila »

sethwm wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:10 am
attila wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:50 pm

Can you elaborate why?
Sure!

Exclusives are from a single source, so there are fewer opportunities should it be a particularly popular configuration or if I experience connectivity or checkout issues. This happened with the DLT Purple Cruwear PM2 and several of the St. Nicks models.

Sprints can be purchased from the SFO, and if I’m lucky enough to do so, I can utilize my veteran discount.

Sprints are available to foreigners as well, and this is a positive in the case of a vendor not being willing to ship internationally. It may reduce the qty I technically have access to, but I care about our overseas friends as well.

Sprints come from the mothership with love. They feel more special to me than a model that a dealer is just trying to make a pile of cash on.

There may be other reasons that I don’t recall, but that’s all that comes to mind at the moment.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Ric

Post by Ric »

Production and Sprints mostly.

I do not care as long as I like the variant and I CAN GET IT.

Nowadays it’s hard to get exclusives in Europe...