Sharpening ZDP-189

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
911rsr

Sharpening ZDP-189

Post by 911rsr »

Hello ,Please if someone have any experience sharpening ZDP189 ,I have couple of DF all in ZDP and it's time to sharpen, the blade is not doll just not razor sharp ,So my question is can I get the edge back to razor sharp just whit stropping or it's needs to be sharpened on stone , I have no experience whit sharpening ,so don't know even should I try or just find someone to do it for me. Thanks
Evil D

Re: Sharpening ZDP-189

Post by Evil D »

What sharpening tools do you have? This isn't really a fun steel for a novice to learn on.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

You can try stropping them but it sounds like you may need to take them to stones. I’ve only sharpened zdp a couple of times and only remember some micro chipping when removing the burr but I really don’t have enough experience to explain what you should expect. In theory, you should be able to use your standard aluminum oxide stones though.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

It is hard to say without examining the edge.
Stropping works pretty well on my ZDP-189 Endura.
But if the edge has actual damage or is very dull, it needs sharpening.

I wish you luck and to find the best answers
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
FK

Post by FK »

I struggled with my first ZDP-189 due to retained burr.
It was stubborn to detect and remove.
Sharpening on DMT diamonds and a slow careful light pressure routine solved the problem with "not sharp apex".
Suggest a 10x eye loop and small LED flashlight to inspect for burr.
ZDP-189 will sharpen up very nicely with long edge retention.

Regards,
FK
z1r

Post by z1r »

I recently got a ZDP Stretch 2 that ame with a 15 degree edgoe on one side and a 20 degree edge on the other. I took teh 20 degree side down to 15. Luckily I'd just bought some diamond sharpmaker rods. It did take quite some time to bring that edge down. In fact, I think that is one of the issues with sharpening ZDP, it takes forever and you stop before you actually get to the Apex. Like FK said, finishing up with light pressureand inspecting often, really helps. Once you get that edge, I find it helps to give it a few passes every so often on the rods.

I just picked up another ZDP DF2 yesterday for the unbelievably low price of $32! Deal of the Century perhaps.
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

z1r wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:18 am
I just picked up another ZDP DF2 yesterday for the unbelievably low price of $32! Deal of the Century perhaps.
....new??? if so, what's your secret
z1r

Post by z1r »

Got this one at the seconds sale yesterday, and if I'm being honest, it operates better than my other two "firsts." I think there might be the tiniest bit of of a blemish on the edge but I typically reprofile to 15 DPS anyway. I love the way ZDP performs at 15 DPS.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi 911,

Welcome to our forum.

My suggestion would be to get a Sharpmaker and a 10X - 12X magnifying loupe. watch the video and you will not only learn much about sharpening and you will get shaving sharp edges.

sal
911rsr

Post by 911rsr »

Thank you all for respond, it's sounds I will need to get Sharpmaker or some good Waterstones and go from there. Definitely will need to watch more videos and Teknik's ,Is it easier to use Sharpmaker or Wterstones? Any suggestion on Waterstones? Is it enough to have 2 waterstones like 500-600 and 2000-3000 and latherstrop ? Thanks again
911rsr

Post by 911rsr »

Z1R that price for DF zdp is a crazy low I wish I could find one in that range , I bought in past month 2 of those brand new, price for each $160, ( on secondary market), also got yesterday 3. one but used paid $70 shipped. I just love the ZDP steal and the color of the blade has some goldish tone ,beautiful.
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

The brown rods of the sharpmaker will get your ZDP sharp again. As Sal mentioned, watch the video first. ZDP is a very hard steel. However, the abrasives of the brown rods of the sharpmaker will cut the steel. Diamond rods will sharpen faster but increases the chance of a (big) burr.
In your situation I would stick to the brown rods and do alternate passes. Be patience and check your edge regularly.

You will also find a lot of useful sharpening tips here on the forum.

Good luck!
DrHE

Post by DrHE »

I used diamond and ceramic from D320-D600-Spyderco Med Brown- Spyderco Fine White - D1200 - Spyderco UF. Then stropped 3mu - .25mu to bare leather.

Anywhere in the chain produces a hair popping edge once you deburr. Light passes with f to Uf grit to thin bur then pull though bass wood block to remove final foil edge. Strop on from there.

Personally I like a little tooth to mine so I micro bevel with a Spyderco fine
M.N.O.S.D. 0031
911rsr

Post by 911rsr »

Drhe ,do you mean from Spyderco double site brown-white ? https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... -trade-/87
911rsr

Post by 911rsr »

Sal, thank you for welcoming me on the site, I love this site. Thanks
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

Sharpened my DF ZDP-189 today following my own advice. I ran out of patience before the job was done.

Took it to the diamond DMT stones, coarse and fine. Edge is now the way I want it to be. Crispy.

911rsr sharpening your knives is not that difficult however ZDP is a burden to start with.
z1r

Post by z1r »

911rsr wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:12 pm
Z1R that price for DF zdp is a crazy low I wish I could find one in that range , I bought in past month 2 of those brand new, price for each $160, ( on secondary market), also got yesterday 3. one but used paid $70 shipped. I just love the ZDP steal and the color of the blade has some goldish tone ,beautiful.
I hear you, that's why I couldn't pass this up. The top one is my EDC DF2. Had it for almost a year now. Awesome!

I threw in a K390. The Third from the top I got at the SFO as an open box, paid about $77 and was happy to pay that. Finally, the bottom, I jaw just about dropped whenI saw the price. This should last me the rest of my life!

911rsr

Post by 911rsr »

Nice, I love it. Also I'm thinking to get the K390 the blade colour looks very similar to ZDP?? ,How do you like K390? , but those in ZDP189 OMG they are like jewelry for me. What's crazy I used to own Chris Reeve, Microtech-s etc.... still have some of those but not one of them I liked like DF-ZDP ,for me is just one perfect EDC knife. Here are my 3 DF-ZDP
Attachments
IMG_5501.jpg
911rsr

Post by 911rsr »

Z1R forgot to say if you ever get board of them and want to sell it, just let me know I will be here ;) ;) and thanks for posting the nice pic.
DrHE

Post by DrHE »

911rsr wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:18 pm
Drhe ,do you mean from Spyderco double site brown-white ? https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... -trade-/87
Yes I have and use the Spyderco Double Stuff (brown/white) and love it for my knives. I like the stones so much I carry a spare double stuff in my briefcase as well as have all the Spyderco bench stones M/F/UF and even a Golden stone at the house.

You cannot go wrong with some Diamond stones and some Spyderco stones. I have the Sharpal 320/600/1200s in both bench and credit card size.

I admit I have sharpening gear and Bromland Gunleather pocket strop with me at all times because I love to sharpen and any dull blade is useless/dangerous. My friends just hand me their knives for a touchup when we see each other.
M.N.O.S.D. 0031