More Sage 1 options please

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

More Sage 1 options?

No thanks
44%
Yes to more Sage 1 options
47%
Yes to a Sage mini
9%

Total votes: 34

Soanso McMasters

More Sage 1 options please

Post by Soanso McMasters »

The Sage 1 and liner locks in general are very underrepresented in Spyderco’s premium lineup. Would anyone else like to see at least one more Sage 1 in a balanced steel like S30V or its similar steel brethren?

I’d also love a Sage 1 mini, which would basically be a tricked out Cat.
PocketShredder

Re: More Sage 1 options please

Post by PocketShredder »

I voted yes! I’m very happy with the few liner lock Spydies I own, and the Sage 1 is no exception.
Image:bug-red-white
"All God's critters have knives."
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Soanso McMasters wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:45 pm
... liner locks in general are very underrepresented in Spyderco’s premium lineup....
This is what I always say, so thanks for that thread.

And yes, I'd be very much for more Sage 1 variations and an FRN LW should be among those if you ask me.

Not really interested in a Mini though.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The Sage1 has now appeared twice.

I’d rather see a Sage6, then a Sage7… And if we run out of locks to honor (the purpose of the Sage series), I would prefer new models (whether in a new series or not) to rehashes of models in this series.

And, having originals of the first five, I’m a Sage fan.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

The Sage series was focused on honoring different lock types and its inventors... so as much as I love every iteration of each of the models, I would prefer to advance to a new model with a new lock type.
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

A standard Sage 1 seems like it would be worth constant presence in the lineup, as well as the progression of lock types you all mentioned. Maxamet is a very extreme steel to be the lone Sage 1 offering. I’d love to buy a Sage 1 in a balanced steel, and perhaps others new to Spyderco would as well. Newcomers are more unlikely to make a Sage 1 purchase given price and steel type.
R100

Post by R100 »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:34 pm
Soanso McMasters wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:45 pm
... liner locks in general are very underrepresented in Spyderco’s premium lineup....
And yes, I'd be very much for more Sage 1 variations and an FRN LW should be among those if you ask me.

Not really interested in a Mini though.
+1
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I'd love some more sages. I missed out on a few and would love for this to be revisited. And MagnaCut is the steel to do it.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

No thanks...because...liner lock. I've sold all my liner locks except for an Air. Not my cuppa.

I think the Chap is already the Mini Sage.
kobold

Post by kobold »

I am the opposite - selling the 5 and keeping the 1. I would also like a 2. But I agree that a Chaparral is the best.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I love my Sage1 in both S30V and Maxamet. Linerlock is my fav lock so YES ! Dreaming of a peel ply CF Sage1 in S90V or 20CV. I never understood why some knife people overlook the linerlock...it's reliable enough, intuitive, easy to manipulate one hand and Spyderco makes the best linerlock in the knife industry. Never had any problems with my linerlocks. Enough said.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
PeanutButterFan

Post by PeanutButterFan »

Yes, I would like to see more sage 1 variants as opposed to sage 5 variants. But I would be most interested in a return of the sage 4 is some variation. Could be frn even.

Concerning the mini, I don’t think i would want the handle to be any smaller as it’s near the perfect size for me. If anything i think it would be neat to see a sage xl.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Filoso- wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:09 pm
The Sage series was focused on honoring different lock types and its inventors... so as much as I love every iteration of each of the models, I would prefer to advance to a new model with a new lock type.
I agree! I have both Sage 1 versions at this point. So I'm quite content. I'd much rather see the focus go toward a brand new version with a different lock.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Filoso- wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:09 pm
Well said!
Variations should not be the focus ...
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

elena86 wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:19 am
Never had any problems with my linerlocks. Enough said.

Well I have! Not a Spyderco brand, but a good brand--I had the linerlock fail and cut all four fingers! Not emergency-room cut, but bad enough to make me turn my back on (most) linerlocks. I'm sure Spyderco is top shelf in that respect, but my prejudice remains. Neither do I like passing my hand under a blade to close it.
FourStringFiend

Post by FourStringFiend »

It would be nice to eventually have both a tool and stainless option readily available for Sage 1-5
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I'm hoping for a Sage2 resurrection with 10v!
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Could you imagine how much a Sage 2 in 10V would cost? I’d then have to buy some diamond stones on top of that. I’d probably still do it though.
Overcast

Post by Overcast »

I would love to see the Sage 2 return with any interesting new steel! It would be an instant buy for me, no question
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

FourStringFiend wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:50 pm
It would be nice to eventually have both a tool and stainless option readily available for Sage 1-5
So bring 'em all back and have 10 different versions in the catalog? Not sure that'll ever happen but it's nice to dream

I know it's selfish but I'm not sure I agree with bringing back discontinued models as regular catalog items. Sprint runs yes, dealer exclusives maybe, but not regular production runs.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!