Spyderco's ATS-55 Era of the late 90s

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Spyderco's ATS-55 Era of the late 90s

Post by JD Spydo »

Still to this day one of my most remembered and favorite times in Spyder-History was their ATS-55 Era. Models made with that blade steel are still talked about and are still sought after by collectors as well as users. That particular Spyder-era yielded so many super classics in such a very short time period. The ATS-55 era put forth super classics like the Peter Herbst, Lum Tanto folder, Merlin and the great full sized C-44 Dyad model just to name a few. It was also a sort of transition era for Spyderco as well.

And it was the ATS-55 era that really set the stage for the vast amount of VG-10 models that proceeded. There were also some really obscure but yet super well built models with ATS-55 blade steel like the Stainless handled RESCUE model which to this day remains one of my favorite User models. It's not often we see some of those great models pop up again because that was 20 years in the rear view mirror.

I'm sure you all have your own favorite models from the ATS-55 era so let's talk about them. Oh and did I mention the G-10 Harpy from that era. It still comes up in conversation frequently to this day. But there were many great models from that era that we can talk about.
DFD04

Re: Spyderco's ATS-55 Era of the late 90s

Post by DFD04 »

I only have one left in my collection, it’s a super slicey Endura I bought in the early 2000’s. This steel was the ticket back when…great thread topic.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I was just starting my career and family in the 90s, so there wasn't much discretionary income for knife purchases back then. A combo edge Endura is the only model I have in this steel. I still carry it from time to time :smlling-eyes
FK

Post by FK »

I have two of the Endura 3 with full SE, tough knives.
Purchase them used with missing clips, great price,,,, Spyderco has replacement clips and bolt/nut assemblies available.

Still regret giving away my two minty G-10 Harpy knives.

Regards.
FK
Hullk

Post by Hullk »

My dad has a stainless steel dragonfly with ats-55, still work great
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Some early Enduras. The AUS-8 Gen1 was a replacement from Spyderco for a G2 that had a lock failure after many years. I bought the ATS-55 Gen3 while waiting. Liked the clip better. Miss those sharp pointed Enduras.

Never had a problem with ATS-55, liked it better than VG-10. Biased :winking-tongue

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hullk wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:02 am
My dad has a stainless steel dragonfly with ats-55, still work great
Thank you!! Because that's a similar testimony that I have with my ATS-55 era, Stainless Handled RESCUE model. My good pal Spydutch who hasn't been around the forum in a while was the Spyder Brother I got that blade from. And that was about 2007-08 time frame and it's been a constant user since I received it. That Stainless RESCUE has undergone so much harsh abuse it's just unbelievable that it continues to be in my "user rotation".

So with that said I'm certain that your dad's stainless handled Dragonfly was put together with the same uncompromising quality as my Stainless RESCUE was. And I'm also one of the weird guys who actually always liked ATS-55 blade steel as well. Sal stated years ago that VG-10 outperformed it in a side by side test which is why they ultimately went with VG-10. But for the short time we had ATS-55 bladed models it was a time I'll always cherish.

As good as the stainless handled models were during the ATS-55 era I'm just really surprised that so few people at this time even know that the Stainless RESCUE ever even existed. Not to mention the impeccable quality it was made with.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I own a bunch of ATS-55 knives bought in that era. A couple of SS Police models, a SS Harpy, a SS Dragonfly, an FRN Cricket; Delicas, Enduras, etc. I thought ATS-55 was OK, but I must admit that I like VG-10 a lot more. Personal preference.

I still remember seeing an ad in a knife magazine about the soon-to-debut “Delica ‘98” and “Endura ‘98” in the “new ATS-55 steel.” It was also the first time FRN Delicas and Enduras came with steel pocket clips.

Jim
Revival

Post by Revival »

I have a Police model with ATS-55 that was gifted to me in the early 2000’s. It was my first Spyderco. I remember it being in a white box. Unfortunately I got rid of the box and wish I still had it.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I carried this Delica for years.
Attachments
3CCFE29D-B396-414B-9C1E-FF8462300858.jpeg
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Thanks for the history lesson, folks. I missed the '55 era by a couple years. Around that time I was buying ATS-34 knives by Schatt & Morgan and I thought they were just amazing (I was comparing to 420 steel at the time).

Remind me the difference between ATS-34 and ATS-55? I recollect that '55 was a less expensive version of '34 and perhaps a bit tougher?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:35 pm
I own a bunch of ATS-55 knives bought in that era. A couple of SS Police models, a SS Harpy, a SS Dragonfly, an FRN Cricket; Delicas, Enduras, etc. I thought ATS-55 was OK, but I must admit that I like VG-10 a lot more. Personal preference.

I still remember seeing an ad in a knife magazine about the soon-to-debut “Delica ‘98” and “Endura ‘98” in the “new ATS-55 steel.” It was also the first time FRN Delicas and Enduras came with steel pocket clips.

Jim
To the best of my knowledge I do believe that Spyderco was the only commercial knife company here in the USA to have used ATS-55. However all the folders they used it with If I remember correctly I think there might have been a couple of USA custom knife makers that might have gotten their hands on some of that ATS-55 blade steel.

Of all the ATS-55 Spyderco knives I had I don't ever remember them ever using it in a fixed blade model. The one thing I really did like ATS-55 notably better is/was on full Spyderedged blades. I found it to be just about as good as VG-10 in the Spyderco SE folders.

It was just an interesting transition time for Spyderco's rise to the top.
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

Still have my CE Delica in ATS55. Love the blade shape. Rides in my work truck as a backup for my daily carry.
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I did like ATS 55 serrated blades and I liked many of the knives that were made in that steel but I'm very glad we have progressed to higher performing steels. Back then I could only dream about a Spyderco in 10V, CPM M4, Cruwear and Rex 45/HAP 40 as well as 52100 or Super Blue.

Everybody knew it just wasn't done. Like so many other things Spyderco didn't accept that and went and found ways to make it happen.

I do like many of the "Golden Age" Spydercos but they would sure be better in these newer steels with the better heat treats selected for knife use we see now and newer and better edges that the knives are being shipped with. It's getting rare that I feel the need to sharpen a Spyderco before use. It wasn't that rare back in the "Golden Age".

Joe
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The Spydie that I didn’t know until its arrival today is my grail.
Thanks, blueboost, for bragging on it. You caught my attention.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I.love Spyderco history!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I had some ATS-55 Spyderco's and they were exceptionally well made knives. Years ago when I decided I was not a collector I sold all of them or gave some away.

I would guess that leaves me with about 30 Spyderco knives. With maybe 3 I would say I won't use and are collectors.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Mastiff wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:43 am
I did like ATS 55 serrated blades

I do like many of the "Golden Age" Spydercos but they would sure be better in these newer steels with the better heat treats selected for knife use we see now and newer and better edges that the knives are being shipped with. It's getting rare that I feel the need to sharpen a Spyderco before use. It wasn't that rare back in the "Golden Age".

Joe
So why do you think I constantly lobby to get these older Spyderco models back again with newer/better blade steels? Yeah I feel the same way you do about that subject. Oh how I would love to see a JD Smith in one of Crucibles high end steels>> or wouldn't it be cool to do a fixed blade Spyderco MORAN or TEMPERANCE 1 model with newer/better blade steels?

And yes!! ATS-55 is still one of my favorite blade steels for serrated blades. I just used my ATS-55, Stainless RESCUE this morning for a minor emergency job and that ATS-55 steel with TEETH performs very well. I would never turn down an opportunity to get an old ATS-55 model in SE. Yep I still like the SE blades in ATS-55 very well too.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I still have both those same knives
Menipo wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:39 am
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.