Which GOLDEN ERA Model Should Be Next?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Manixguy@1994

Re: Which GOLDEN ERA Model Should Be Next?

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:47 am
C54 Calypso
C58 JD Smith
C16 Wayne Goddard
C67 R
C66 Vesuvius

Are there still molds for Goddard LW? That could be a cool sprint.
That’s a good question , I don’t see why they would destroy them . I had the Gray and gifted it last year to my granddaughter’s fiancé. He grinned ear to ear it’s his first Spyderco. The Goddard just feels so right in my hand . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
VWTattoo

Post by VWTattoo »

Allow me to also echo a few that I’d like to see again:

C66 Vesuvius- with and without inlay!
C53 Herbst - the ergos on this model are awesome, I love it!
C22 Walker - so many options, but my favorite iteration was the blue Almite version. The early Klotzli versions are so special and rare that I’d hesitate to recommend that Carbon Fibre be used.

I’ll shake a stick at a few others, too: C110 Lava, c87 Scorpius, and c102 Adventura. I know they are out of the timeframe by a bit, but all 3 knives are exercises in ergonomics, are rare, and are so unique.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

JD, I’ve asked you before but I’ll say it again JD Smith all the way! It’s one of the the best looking knives from that time! It needs to follow the original form of hollow grind and micarta though. I prefer stainless like Magnacut, but SE SPY27 and Denim Micarta sounds awesome too.

This thread needs way more pics:
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I would love to see a thoroughly modern version of the C-50 Centofante. I always though that knife was a real slicer.

I would also like to see the original Temperance fixed blade brought back with the original handle and blade pattern in a super steel. This is a fantastic knife. I think a steel like S90V or S110V would be amazing.
benben

Post by benben »

C139G Breeden Rescue.
C51FG Rookie.

And lastly.....
C48 Wegner. I've read here that this will likely never ever happen, for what reason I'm not sure? A modern version of the C48 would get me way more excited than this upcoming Ayoob, and I'm pretty excited about the Ayoob!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

benben wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:58 am
C139G Breeden Rescue.
C51FG Rookie.

And lastly.....
C48 Wegner. I've read here that this will likely never ever happen, for what reason I'm not sure? A modern version of the C48 would get me way more excited than this upcoming Ayoob, and I'm pretty excited about the Ayoob!
I'm pretty sure he went on to start his own knife company and the designs went with him. Spyderco does not run old models again without input from the designer or their family if the designer has passed. At least from what I have gathered over the years.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I like all of the ideas above and I would add the humble Navigator to the mix.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
benben

Post by benben »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:36 am
benben wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:58 am
C139G Breeden Rescue.
C51FG Rookie.

And lastly.....
I'm pretty sure he went on to start his own knife company and the designs went with him. Spyderco does not run old models again without input from the designer or their family if the designer has passed. At least from what I have gathered over the years.
Thank you sir!
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Spyderhawk salt
Tatanka
Catcherman
Breeden rescue
Breeden captain
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

aicolainen wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:33 am
I'll keep playing my broken record.
I'd be really happy to see another run of G-10 Rookies. Never tried or even held one, but it looks very much like a knife I would enjoy.
I don't know the back story on why the single liner was added, but I'm sure they had good reason to. I wouldn't mind if they found a way to make it work as a fully linerless design though.
The liner is there to anchor clip screws.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

samdasnake wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:18 am
It’s funny you mention the Goddard. I’ve managed to get my hands on one of each of the sprint runs of the LW as well as the micarta. Just need to pick up an ATS-55 model and I’ll have one of each. It’s one of my favorite Spydies and I’d love to see it make a comeback. Other than that I definitely want to see another Lum Tanto.

I'm pretty sure there is a Goddard exclusive in the works in in a popular combo...
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

VooDooChild wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:22 am
Spyderhawk salt
Tatanka
Catcherman
Breeden rescue
Breeden captain

Spyderhawk and Catcherman for me as well!

When was the FRN Cricket? I really want one of those as well.

All of these could use an update though to new scales with the Bi-directional texturing and latest clips, jimping, boye dents, etc.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I know very little about that old(er) models.

But there is one old linerlock Spydie that Vivi once recommended to me and of which he said it would be hard to hunt down.
Looked it up and liked a lot what I saw, just can´t remember how the model is called... :worried
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
benben

Post by benben »

VooDooChild wrote:
Spyderhawk salt
Tatanka
Catcherman
Breeden rescue
Breeden captain
The Breeden Rescue has the perfect amount of belly, fully serrated LC200N would be a perfect fit!
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

How about a Blackhawk?

My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:44 am
i'd really love a shot at the dodo. in 2003, i was just starting to actually edc a knife and it wasn't anything as cool as the dodo is. i like weird things and i think i need a dodo in my collection.

edit: i just checked ebay and people want $300+ for a dodo. that's insane.
YEah you and I both can't get enough of the Dodo model. I've still got two but I want another full SE version so badly. The Dodo in full SE is truly thee most aggressive cutting short blade Spyderco ever made.

Not to mention it was Eric Glessers literal masterpiece design. Always liked his stuff anyway.

Yeah it's borderline obscene what people even want for a used Dodo. I had a guy locally get disappointed with me when I turned down a used full SE Dodo a couple of years back and he was firm at $190. There are very very few used blades that I would pay anywhere near that much for. But somebody must be paying it or else they would go for that much on the secondary markets. Crazy market for Golden Era Spyders now a days for sure.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mr Blonde wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:53 am
How about a Blackhawk?

Glad you brought up the BLACKHAWK model Mr. Blonde. But I won't stop there>> because I would also want the Blackhawk & Renegade both together. For those of you who are not familiar with those two models. They are basically the same design, one bigger, one smaller. They are brothers for all intent and purposes. They were originally marketed to the motorcycle crowd back in the late 90s when first released. Not sure how that panned out.

I carried and EDCed a Renegade model for almost a year at one time. I would do it again if I could get one with a supersteel blade like M390, XHP or even K390 for that matter. Yeah both of those were super-classics from the GOLDEN ERA of SPyders ( 1998-2004)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

benben wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:52 am
VooDooChild wrote:
Spyderhawk salt
Tatanka
Catcherman
Breeden rescue
Breeden captain
The Breeden Rescue has the perfect amount of belly, fully serrated LC200N would be a perfect fit!
My heart is with you BenBen and it does seem like we have similar tastes in blades. However both of those Breeden models were introduces way after the Golden Era of Spyders. Now I guess there could be a case to be made that the C-111 Captain was close enough for horseshoes and hand Grenades because I believe it came about 2007 or -08. The Breeden RESCUE I think was after the 2010 timeline. But I do agree that both Breeden models were two that I liked as well.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Dazen wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:50 am
JD, I’ve asked you before but I’ll say it again JD Smith all the way! It’s one of the the best looking knives from that time! It needs to follow the original form of hollow grind and micarta though. I prefer stainless like Magnacut, but SE SPY27 and Denim Micarta sounds awesome too.

This thread needs way more pics:
No objection there at all Dazen. Actually the idea is growing on me quickly with everything you listed. I'm in for a jazzed up version of the JD Smith for sure.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:01 am
samdasnake wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:18 am
It’s funny you mention the Goddard. I’ve managed to get my hands on one of each of the sprint runs of the LW as well as the micarta. Just need to pick up an ATS-55 model and I’ll have one of each. It’s one of my favorite Spydies and I’d love to see it make a comeback. Other than that I definitely want to see another Lum Tanto.
That's most interesting "Samdasnake" but could you please tell us what it is about the GODDARD model that you like so much?

I had a Gray Goddard once with a VG-10 blade and I must admit it kind of grew on you. I would love to see a Goddard in full Spyderedge.
What I like most about the Goddard LW is the fact that it is a large blade in linerless FRN. Outside of the PAC Salt that’s something you don’t see too much. I also really like the overall design - it has a classic, old-school feel that reminds me of a Buck 110, just far lighter and in better materials (in my opinion). So overall it’s just a nice classic design. It also took a minute for it to grow on me... I was honestly a little underwhelmed when I first got one but I quickly came to love it’s simplicity and easy carry.