Which GOLDEN ERA Model Should Be Next?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Matus

Re: Which GOLDEN ERA Model Should Be Next?

Post by Matus »

Worker in k390 or CruWear
Schempp Barong
Schempp Persian (both sizes)
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

For all you guys/gals who love those micro sized Ladybug, manbug and Jester models I'm sort of surprised that none of you have mentioned the Baby Wayne Goddard model. And from what I can ascertain it's one really rare bird too. I don't think there were very many of them sold. They were listed as the C-20 model.

Now I'm not into Spyderco's micro sized blades other than collector appeal. I do regret not keeping at least one of the
Burgundy Micarta Jester models. I did like the design of the Jester and it was a handsome folder with that burgundy Micarta.

Now there is one small bladed model from that far back I kind of liked. It was the SPUR model. That might be an interesting Sprint Run.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

My vote is for polar opposites, the Copilot and the Tatanka, along with another run of the Worker.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Several suggestions here are models from before 1998 or after 2004, in addition to the 1998-2004 ones, and some in each period have already been re-released.

Why not just join the fun of finding actual “Golden Era” releases and let Sal/Eric/Ed/Mike and the world’s collaborators get on with their new ideas?

The Golden Era rewards will come faster than getting agreement on what model should follow the Ayoob, then getting Spyderco’s buy-in.

Don’t get me wrong. I love my C54 Calypso sprint. But it isn’t the micarta original.

But, go figure. My G10 Ayoob sprint from 2011 is the one that Mas is said to prefer over the original Almite, and that’s good enough for me.

ETA: With the arrival today of my titanium C46 Bob Lum, I can say my VG10 Bob Lum is wonderful but only a hint of the original.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:05 pm
Several suggestions here are models from before 1998 or after 2004, in addition to the 1998-2004 ones, and some in each period have already been re-released.

Why not just join the fun of finding actual “Golden Era” releases and let Sal/Eric/Ed/Mike and the world’s collaborators get on with their new ideas?

The Golden Era rewards will come faster than getting agreement on what model should follow the Ayoob, then getting Spyderco’s buy-in.

Don’t get me wrong. I love my C54 Calypso sprint. But it isn’t the micarta original.

But, go figure. My G10 Ayoob sprint from 2011 is the one that Mas is said to prefer over the original Almite, and that’s good enough for me.

ETA: With the arrival today of my titanium C46 Bob Lum, I can say my VG10 Bob Lum is wonderful but only a hint of the original.
I would take anything of Bob Lum's at anytime. I particularly love that fixed blade that Spyderco did with his design. Bob Lum's tanto designs are about the only tanto designs I've ever liked to work with.

And the C-54 is still my very favorite of all the Calypso series. Second to that would be the Caly Jr.
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

I never understood why the Caly Jr was discontinued.
Was one of my very first Spyderco's, sadly I lost my original but these days I carry the Super blue sprint. It is still my prefect small knife. Ive always wanted to my get hands on a original large Calypso too... and that large Lum Chinese.

A recent purchase of a pair of original NIB C46's taught me not to give up hope on finding these older models.
They are still out there!

J
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

jezabel wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:40 am
Was one of my very first Spyderco's, sadly I lost my original but these days I carry the Super blue sprint. It is still my prefect small knife. Ive always wanted to my get hands on a original large Calypso too... and that large Lum Chinese.

A recent purchase of a pair of original NIB C46's taught me not to give up hope on finding these older models.
They are still out there!

J
I've never understood why the Caly Jr. was disco'd either. I don't recall a time when it wasn't popular. And I can't begin to tell you how many people have tried to trade me for my remaining Burgundy Caly Jr with ZDP-189 blade steel. To the best of my memory I do believe that was the very first Spyder ever with a ZDP-189 blade. And that Burgundy Caly Jr. was a great EDC model too.

And the big C-54 Calypso is one of my top 10 all time favorite Spyderco folders ever. Each one of those Calypso models were brilliant folder designs. Most of Spyderco's "In House" models were great. Especially the Calypso and the Temperance fixed blade models.
Matus

Post by Matus »

Back before it became a collectors item I got a second hand ZDP burgundy Caly Jr. I was somehow not ready for it. Today I am sorry I sold it ...

.. a few 'remembrance' photos ...

... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Matus wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:50 am
Back before it became a collectors item I got a second hand ZDP burgundy Caly Jr. I was somehow not ready for it. Today I am sorry I sold it ...
Like I said earlier I've never been a really big fan of most short bladed folders. But that C-52 Caly Jr. with the ZDP-189 blade was a different animal all together. You could get that Burgundy Caly Jr. with the ZDP-189 blade so sharp that you have all the benefits of a straight razor in a folding knife. I skinned a couple of animals with it on a couple hunting trips and it worked like a charm. As tough as a squirrel's hide can be that ZDP-189 blade went through squirrel's hide and rabbit hide like a laser.

There just aren't that many blade steels that penetrate as easy as a ZDP-189 blade well honed seems to do. I would love to try a C-60 Ayoob model with ZDP-189 at some point>> that is if it ever becomes possible. I do believe that particular blade design would do well with ZDP-189 steel.

If they ever do bring back the Caly Jr. then they need to bring back the ZDP-189 model for sure.
DukeBrnz

Post by DukeBrnz »

C84 Warren Thomas Karambit, C84 Persian, Catcherman of course..
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:21 pm
Matus wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:50 am
Like I said earlier I've never been a really big fan of most short bladed folders. But that C-52 Caly Jr. with the ZDP-189 blade was a different animal all together. You could get that Burgundy Caly Jr. with the ZDP-189 blade so sharp that you have all the benefits of a straight razor in a folding knife. I skinned a couple of animals with it on a couple hunting trips and it worked like a charm. As tough as a squirrel's hide can be that ZDP-189 blade went through squirrel's hide and rabbit hide like a laser.

There just aren't that many blade steels that penetrate as easy as a ZDP-189 blade well honed seems to do. I would love to try a C-60 Ayoob model with ZDP-189 at some point>> that is if it ever becomes possible. I do believe that particular blade design would do well with ZDP-189 steel.

If they ever do bring back the Caly Jr. then they need to bring back the ZDP-189 model for sure.
You use a knife to skin squirrels? Must be some mighty tough squirrels. :winking-tongue I like the young 'uns. Fry up nice and tender. The old geezers are for Bunswick stew.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

DukeBrnz wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:10 pm
C84 Warren Thomas Karambit, C84 Persian, Catcherman of course..
That's a most interesting array of past/classic Spyderco models to consider for a Sprint Run. Because when all 3 of those models were at the height of their popularity a lot of people sure bragged about them. I'll always love the Catcherman for so many different jobs. I even have one I keep in my kitchen ( full SE AUS-8 model) and it's a real great culinary blade. I just wish at some point we could get another full SE version of the Catcherman.

The Karambit models were hot at the time of the release of that Warren Thomas collaboration. And the C-84 Persian sure had a solid cult following during it's time in the main line up. But of the 3 I would lobby more for another Sprint Run of the Catcherman>> but that's just me. I wouldn't object to any of the 3 you mentioned.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

jezabel wrote:

Or the Caly 3 for that matter. It blows my mind that anyone would actually choose a Delica over a Caly 3.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:30 am
jezabel wrote:

Or the Caly 3 for that matter. It blows my mind that anyone would actually choose a Delica over a Caly 3.
I wonder if Moki’s family succession brought on quality issues. Calys are special.

bjz

Post by bjz »

If we ever see a new caly jr or caly 3 for a reasonable price, I will happily jump!

These plus the Q/R models are what drew my attention toward Spyderco, but I was never in a place to spend that kind of money when those were all around.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bjz wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:26 am
If we ever see a new caly jr or caly 3 for a reasonable price, I will happily jump!

These plus the Q/R models are what drew my attention toward Spyderco, but I was never in a place to spend that kind of money when those were all around.
With the popularity that the Caly jr has had over the years I'm almost certain that at some point they'll do a Sprint Run of the C-52 Caly Jr>> and I sincerely hope to see another run of the C-54 original Calypso model. The C-54 was my all time favorite out of all the Calypso models. But there is a case to be made that every one of the Calypso models had a large number of fans.

When they introduce the C-54 Calypso there were so many great models during that time slot that it just simply got overshadowed. If they re-introduced the Caly Jr and the C-54 original Calypso models now they would both be great sellers I'm certain.

Spyderco's great "IN HOUSE" designs are awesome. Sal & Eric Glesser both are great knife designers and a lot of people overlook that fact.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

When was the first Spydie produced in Taiwan? And what model was it? I’m trying get a geographical sense of the GOLDEN ERA.

lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

I am a long time Jess Horn fan so I would certainly love to see the return of the full size model with micarta scales in a good stainless steel.
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

bearrowland wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:20 pm
My vote is for polar opposites, the Copilot and the Tatanka, along with another run of the Worker.
Hi bearrowland, did you see in my thread on reintroducing the Co Pilot that Sal said he's working on the design? So I guess we're going to see it! Would definitely like to see the Worker reintroded. I think a sprint run of each of the original Spydies would be great. Perhaps with g10 in a unigue color like maroon. Sort of commerative editions. to help them sell better There was a model called the Executive I believe, that was a step up in size from the Co PIlot I would love to see. Wasn't a big seller I don't think, but might do better now that smaller Spydies seem popular.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I certainly did and great job Co pilot! I'm looking forward to it! I think, with all the legal issues in the cities involving knives, that there's probably a big demand for smaller knives these days.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032