Which GOLDEN ERA Model Should Be Next?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Which GOLDEN ERA Model Should Be Next?

Post by JD Spydo »

Yeah most of you know that I'm really stuck on several of Spyderco's "old school" models. Particularly from the time slot that I affectionately refer to as "THE GOLDEN ERA of SPYDERS ( 1998-2004). Currently we have one of the greats from that time that has a Sprint Run in the works>> yes I'm speaking of the C-60 Ayoob model. Which is a super sample of the genius design from that era.

Now I'm trying to decided which GOLDEN Era model should be next? That is the next one to consider for a possible Sprint Run. The C-60 Ayoob is already a done deal ( thank GOD). So I'm pondering as to which of the Golden Era models I should shout out for next?

Some of the GOLDEN Era models I've had on my mind of late are the JD Smith, Howard Viele C-42 model and some folks have brought up the Goddard model of all things lately. But I'm kind of wondering which ones you all might like to petition for next. Also the C-54 big Calypso model keeps coming into my thoughts as well. OK you know the rules it has to be a Spyderco model in that time slot. It can be a collaboration or something that Spyderco did In House. I want to hear your thoughts?
PocketShredder

Re: Which GOLDEN ERA Model Should Be Next?

Post by PocketShredder »

Starmate.
Image:bug-red-white
"All God's critters have knives."
SpyderLine

Post by SpyderLine »

I'd say either the JD Smith or the big Calypso, but that's just because I find them both very appealing!
Current Top 3
Kapara, Native 5, Pacific Salt 2
M.N.O.S.D #0034

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
-Theodore Roosevelt
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I wouldn't mind seeing another Jess Horn. The lightweight is a fantastic knife. Easy to forget it's in your pocket. Very thin bladestock and a fine tip.
Not sure if it's part of the time line but it deserves another run.
My only knife from spyderco that was hair splitting sharp.
And of course I'm forever advocating for the return of the Kris

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:00 pm
I wouldn't mind seeing another Jess Horn. The lightweight is a fantastic knife. Easy to forget it's in your pocket. Very thin bladestock and a fine tip.
Not sure if it's part of the time line but it deserves another run.
That's a great suggestion VASH>> I've always had a special liking for most of those Jess Horn models. They did that one back around 2006 I think it was. It was that burgundy handled Jess Horn with a ZDP-189 blade. I had one of those and terrible regret trading it when I did.

For a small model that Jess Horn ranks high in my book. I'm sure my good buddy DEACON will chime in with his KOPA and KIWI models :cheap-sunglasses

And so many people over the past 3 years have been begging for a return of the KRIS model. No objections here on that one either.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderLine wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:55 pm
I'd say either the JD Smith or the big Calypso, but that's just because I find them both very appealing!
I love both models dearly. But it's high time for models like these to have a chance with one of the SuperSteels. A JD Smith with M390 or even K390 would probably be a new EDC for me.

The C-54 Calypso is one of Sal's more elegant designs IMO. I've always like it, especially when you could get it in full SE.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

More lum tantos, starmates, Calypso jr's please

Or a salsa
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

It’s funny you mention the Goddard. I’ve managed to get my hands on one of each of the sprint runs of the LW as well as the micarta. Just need to pick up an ATS-55 model and I’ll have one of each. It’s one of my favorite Spydies and I’d love to see it make a comeback. Other than that I definitely want to see another Lum Tanto.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

If that was the "Golden Era" we must be in the Platinum Era, now. I think Spyderco makes the best knives and has the best designs it ever has.

Still, a Salsa might be interesting.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

J D Smith or even a Goddard freshened up for ambi carry in Micarta . Different steel would be sweet . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Jess Horn
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

samdasnake wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:18 am
It’s funny you mention the Goddard. I’ve managed to get my hands on one of each of the sprint runs of the LW as well as the micarta. Just need to pick up an ATS-55 model and I’ll have one of each. It’s one of my favorite Spydies and I’d love to see it make a comeback. Other than that I definitely want to see another Lum Tanto.
That's most interesting "Samdasnake" but could you please tell us what it is about the GODDARD model that you like so much?

I had a Gray Goddard once with a VG-10 blade and I must admit it kind of grew on you. I would love to see a Goddard in full Spyderedge.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:31 am
If that was the "Golden Era" we must be in the Platinum Era, now. I think Spyderco makes the best knives and has the best designs it ever has.

Still, a Salsa might be interesting.
I had one of the Titanium handled Salsa models with the ATS-34 blade and I really liked it. However I never found much practical use for that sized blade.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

GarageBoy wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:13 pm
More lum tantos, starmates, Calypso jr's please

Or a salsa
I must admit that I'm sort of confused as to why they haven't brought back the C-52 Calypso Jr. I'm also confused as to why the Caly JR ever got discontinued in the first place. For a small bladed model it had probably the most fanfare of any model in that size range.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd love to see a Vesuvius revival with updated compression lock, no sharpening notch and a SE option. I'd even be fine with VG10. I assume there may be issues with making this happen since Frank's passing but it sure would be cool.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:30 am
I'd love to see a Vesuvius revival with updated compression lock, no sharpening notch and a SE option. I'd even be fine with VG10. I assume there may be issues with making this happen since Frank's passing but it sure would be cool.
I had one of the original Vesuvius and it was a Golden, Co made unit with ATS-34 blade steel. I got it and a C-50 Centofante both in the same trade. And both blades had ATS-34 at the time.

There is an old cult following for that model even though you don't hear it being brought up very often. I bet they are getting really tough to find now a days too.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:44 am
Evil D wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:30 am
I had one of the original Vesuvius and it was a Golden, Co made unit with ATS-34 blade steel. I got it and a C-50 Centofante both in the same trade. And both blades had ATS-34 at the time.

There is an old cult following for that model even though you don't hear it being brought up very often. I bet they are getting really tough to find now a days too.

I always figured that since it was the first compression lock knife and now that lock is so popular, it has a bit of clout since so many models share some DNA with it now. I think with updated lock design it could be a popular model again if it came with the usual steel options. I don't see how it couldn't be as popular as models like the Gayle Bradley 1/2 for example.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i'd really love a shot at the dodo. in 2003, i was just starting to actually edc a knife and it wasn't anything as cool as the dodo is. i like weird things and i think i need a dodo in my collection.

edit: i just checked ebay and people want $300+ for a dodo. that's insane.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I'll keep playing my broken record.
I'd be really happy to see another run of G-10 Rookies. Never tried or even held one, but it looks very much like a knife I would enjoy.
I don't know the back story on why the single liner was added, but I'm sure they had good reason to. I wouldn't mind if they found a way to make it work as a fully linerless design though.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

C54 Calypso
C58 JD Smith
C16 Wayne Goddard
C67 R
C66 Vesuvius

Are there still molds for Goddard LW? That could be a cool sprint.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?