Which GOLDEN ERA Model Should Be Next?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Co Pilot

Re: Which GOLDEN ERA Model Should Be Next?

Post by Co Pilot »

Is it being greedy asking for the Co Pilot, considering I started a thread on bringing it back? Other models? Lum tanto FB and folder, the original Ronin or something like it preferably with a thicker tip. Am I allowed to post more as I think of them.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:24 am
Mr Blonde wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:53 am
How about a Blackhawk?

Glad you brought up the BLACKHAWK model Mr. Blonde. But I won't stop there>> because I would also want the Blackhawk & Renegade both together. For those of you who are not familiar with those two models. They are basically the same design, one bigger, one smaller. They are brothers for all intent and purposes. They were originally marketed to the motorcycle crowd back in the late 90s when first released. Not sure how that panned out.

I carried and EDCed a Renegade model for almost a year at one time. I would do it again if I could get one with a supersteel blade like M390, XHP or even K390 for that matter. Yeah both of those were super-classics from the GOLDEN ERA of SPyders ( 1998-2004)
I love the Blackhawk and Renegade and would absolutely love their return as well. I feel the clip point blade profile is coming back around in popularity and these would fit the bill. Also, I don’t see making these all too terribly difficult, because it would simply be a blade change in the Native 5 and Chief!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Another point with all these comebacks, I think Spyderco should bring them all back with a dedicated steal and scale color. Like SPY27 and a classy burgundy.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Monty

Post by Monty »

Serrated baby Jess Horn, micarta scales, removable pivot.

LC200N Rock Salt.

There's one that looks like a Benchmade AFCK but I never learned the name. Wouldn't mind trying one.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Dazen wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:25 am
Another point with all these comebacks, I think Spyderco should bring them all back with a dedicated steal and scale color. Like SPY27 and a classy burgundy.
i think spy27 is going to always be cobalt blue, but i love burgundy and think it would be awesome.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Lava…again
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

twinboysdad wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:34 pm
Lava…again
I haven't heard the "Lava" model mentioned in some time now. Nor have I seen Chad around for a while either ( Daywalker).

The Lava was a super unique small bladed model which had huge popularity for the time it was in the limelight.

However as much as I liked Chad's designs the Dodo still reigns supreme for my uses when it comes to Spyderco's small bladed models. They could do a Dodo Sprint Run yearly and it wouldn't bother me in the least. Actually the Dodo is way overdue for another Run IMO.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mr Blonde wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:53 am
How about a Blackhawk?

Another model I was totally NOT aware of - and a really nice one!!

Just looked it up in the Spydiewiki, this thing has a lot of what I like: Backlock, long cutting edge (like a Manix 2 LW) in a compact package, choil more in the handle than in the blade. pretty light weight and (I guess) linerless FRN.

In the wiki they say it was kind of a predecessor of the Native - but for me personally it would actually be more of an evolution of the Native, especially due to the clearly longer cutting edge it offers.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kobold

Post by kobold »

Not sure if it is the correct time period, but I still like the Persian and the Kris.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

It's good to see some interest in the Renegade Chief / Blackhawk Native idea. Here are two previous threads where you can show your support...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=90354
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=90671

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

kobold wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:17 am
Not sure if it is the correct time period, but I still like the Persian and the Kris.
I think the KRIS was on the tail end of that era. I'm not at home now but I'll check on that later. But I'm pretty sure the first of the Ed Schempp Persian was about 2006 or so. But I'll go out on a limb and say that the KRIS will qualify.

There sure is a strong undercurrent for the KRIS model to have a Sprint Run. And rightfully so! Because it sure had a very short tenure in the main line up.
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Dyad please, it’s nice to have two options. I would like the remake.
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Kevinim82 wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:27 pm
You and me both on any of those Dyad models!! Not only would I Like to see a resurrected version of the big C-44 Dyad I would also like to see the Micarta version of the C-36 Dyad Junior again.

Until Spyderco had made C-44 Dyad model I had never really cared that much for double bladed folders. But Sal being the genius he is couldn't have made a better double-bladed, all purpose hard use folder like the C-44 Dyad. I still use my original ATS-55 version of the C-44 Dyad on occasions and always take it with me on hunting and fishing trips.

The only minor complaint I ever had with the C-44 Dyad is that they never made a lanyard attachment of any type for it.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:07 am
Kevinim82 wrote:
You and me both on any of those Dyad models!! Not only would I Like to see a resurrected version of the big C-44 Dyad I would also like to see the Micarta version of the C-36 Dyad Junior again.

Until Spyderco had made C-44 Dyad model I had never really cared that much for double bladed folders. But Sal being the genius he is couldn't have made a better double-bladed, all purpose hard use folder like the C-44 Dyad. I still use my original ATS-55 version of the C-44 Dyad on occasions and always take it with me on hunting and fishing trips.

The only minor complaint I ever had with the C-44 Dyad is that they never made a lanyard attachment of any type for it.
The pocket clip placement is off in my opinion, that’s the reason it never stuck for me. Too much handle sticking out
James Y

Post by James Y »

I’d like to see an updated version of the Wayne Goddard lightweight in an LC200N Salt version. Could be in FFG, original saber hollow grind, or both.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

twinboysdad wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:48 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:07 am
Kevinim82 wrote:

The pocket clip placement is off in my opinion, that’s the reason it never stuck for me. Too much handle sticking out
There is no argument that the original C-44 Dyad certainly needs some modifications. And yes I totally get the "pocket clip" problem along with the fact that the model had no lanyard hole or attachments. The concept of the Dyad is a great one>> but it is a concept that needs a few bugs worked out.

But I would like to still see Spyderco do another double-bladed folder. However I do believe that the Dyad can be fixed with some altering.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Dazen wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:25 am

I've said this before too. Spyderco should do their own version of a dealer exclusive series like Blade HQ does with the jade/M4 combo, but do Spy17 and some special handle combination and then do a bunch of their classic models that way. It would make a great series of knives to collect. Call it the Spyderco Heritage collection or something, do the first 10 Spyderco models or something.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:42 pm
Just looked it up in the Spydiewiki, this thing has a lot of what I like: Backlock, long cutting edge (like a Manix 2 LW) in a compact package, choil more in the handle than in the blade. pretty light weight and (I guess) linerless FRN.
Actually, my sample features an aluminum handle, but I'd certainly 'settle' for FRN.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:47 am
C54 Calypso
C58 JD Smith
C16 Wayne Goddard
C67 R
C66 Vesuvius

Are there still molds for Goddard LW? That could be a cool sprint.
Thanks buddy, saved me from posting that exact list :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

James Y wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:58 pm
I’d like to see an updated version of the Wayne Goddard lightweight in an LC200N Salt version. Could be in FFG, original saber hollow grind, or both.

Jim
This. But I was also wanting it with liners, any stainless, and micarta again. Also the Schemp barong.