Initial impressions of new pm2 micarta/cruwear

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Initial impressions of new pm2 micarta/cruwear

Post by Doc Dan »

BelgiumSander wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:14 am
I've just bought my first (well actually my second one but I'll get to that :grimace ) PM2 in CRUWEAR with micarta scales.
I have bought 2 tenacious's(tenaciouses?), endura4, dragonfly and ladybug so this isn't my first Spyderco knife.
I was really excited when the first knife arrived but It had some problems. The holes in the scales and liners for tip up carry didn't align properly so I couldn't switch the clip from tip down to tip up. It also had a real stiff action. I've sent this one back to the place where I bought it (Belgium so Knivesandtools.be) and bought another one.
Second one:
The holes in the scales and liners lined up perfectly so no problem here with the second one. But when using the knife I experienced a sort of ticking sound when tapping the blade. It seems that the lanyard holething doesn't sit very snug in the liners/scales so it's a bit loose, I can rotate the lanyardhole insert and also, because it's not suported that well I can pull open the scales with my nails very easily. I've fixed this with adding a lanyard (for the moment but maybe I'll glue it :O ). The action was very smooth on the second one and both knives came razor sharp.
It's the first knife I bought from the Golden factory but I have to say that I'm a tad bit dissapointed with the quality that I get, especially for the pricepoint (4-5x tenacious in Belgium, 2x endura)
I'll try to post some pictures from the problems that I have with the knife.
I will be keeping the knife because I still like the blade/scales combination and want a knife that will get a nice patina after a couple of years of use but now I'm a little afraid that the knife won't be as sturdy as I want it to be if I would keep it as an heirloom piece.

First knife, holes in scales and liners not aligning up (I know, not the greatest picture but you get the point).
Second knife, loose scales at tip:

Hope this helps Spyderco to improve quality and quality control and make future buyers of this knife aware of this possible quality issue.
Put one of the clip screws in the side that pops up. That will likely fix the problem. If not, I'd send it to Spyderco.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

That much flex in the scales would be unacceptable to me, as would adding a clip screw simply to hold it down. That seems terribly tacky to me. At the price point they’re asking for these, I would not be pleased at all with these kinds of issues. I passed on this model myself because I’m no fan of the full liners that are needed to support the Micarta scales - there are plenty of aftermarket Micarta scales available that I’d rather use to customize a standard nested liner version. I know there’s a lot of hype for them but this version seems to have taken a step backward IMHO.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
BugBite84

Post by BugBite84 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:40 pm
That much flex in the scales would be unacceptable to me, as would adding a clip screw simply to hold it down. That seems terribly tacky to me. At the price point they’re asking for these, I would not be pleased at all with these kinds of issues. I passed on this model myself because I’m no fan of the full liners that are needed to support the Micarta scales - there are plenty of aftermarket Micarta scales available that I’d rather use to customize a standard nested liner version. I know there’s a lot of hype for them but this version seems to have taken a step backward IMHO.
I totally agree these knives are way to expensive to be having these issues when my way cheaper folders have way less issues, not to
Mention warranty repair doesn’t handle issues to well saying a knife is in spec when there’s clearly issues, I love Spyderco and will always support and use there products but some things need to be stepped up over there.
kingston73

Post by kingston73 »

FYI these are on sale at knives plus for 136 right now. Amazing deal, just bought myself one.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

kingston73 wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:29 pm
FYI these are on sale at knives plus for 136 right now. Amazing deal, just bought myself one.
And SPY 27 Manix 2LW (pinned) for $110.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Nevermind... old thread.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi