Overall disappointed

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cabfrank

Re: Overall disappointed

Post by cabfrank »

Ramonade wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:02 am
I find it really unlucky, sorry for you.

As for my knives, i throw them at the numerous feral cats around my home. That's why I have to buy them often.
We have never needed a like button this much.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:15 am
Ramonade wrote:

As for my knives, i throw them at the numerous feral cats around my home. That's why I have to buy them often.

May I recommend

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... Large/1132
You indeed can ! I hope it's a good sheath though
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Ramonade wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:24 am
Evil D wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:15 am
Ramonade wrote:

May I recommend

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... Large/1132
You indeed can ! I hope it's a good sheath though

Eh, who needs a sheath anyway just carry them in your teeth like a proper commando. You'll be throwing them often anyway.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:06 am
JSumm wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:40 pm
My para 3 lightweight that I parted with would often get hung up on bushes and snagged from my pocket.

Perhaps a bit more likely to happen with a wire clip and a not too long knife like the Para 3 (and Chaparral, and other Spydies) is?

The ops Salt even has a spoon clip though...
The Para 3 clip on mine would roll left and right when I pushed it with my finger. Retention was terrible even after tightening the heck out of it. The chaparral and Manix 2 LW with wire clips never have that problem. I figured the Para 3 was just a bad example I received.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If you guys saw some of the situations I get myself in at work, it's a wonder I come out still wearing pants at all let alone not losing my knife.

I've carried this Autonomy more than any other knife since 2017. It uses a wire clip, and it's also among the heaviest knives that Spyderco has put a wire clip on. It also gets clipped onto cheap uniform pants that are basically slacks, so the pocket fabric thickness is thinner than jeans and more slippery in texture. All together you'd think the combination of job conditions/weight/clip design/pocket design would mean I'd lose this knife or at least see it come out of my pocket but it hasn't ever happened.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Double post
Last edited by Wartstein on Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Well I gave my civil response yesterday. Now its time to say it how it is.

Can we all just appreciate how this person lost a knife, which is completely their fault. Then blamed the knife design. Then accused Spydercos entire customer base of not being real knife users.

Grow up.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JSumm wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:33 am
Wartstein wrote:
JSumm wrote:

The Para 3 clip on mine would roll left and right when I pushed it with my finger. Retention was terrible even after tightening the heck out of it. The chaparral and Manix 2 LW with wire clips never have that problem. I figured the Para 3 was just a bad example I received.
Probably this ("just a bad example")

I tried a Para 3 LW for a bit more than a month, and in that (admittedly rather short) period of time it sat just as firm in the pocket as my Manix 2 LW, Chap and FRN Native (which happens to have a wire clip, but not from the factory)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:25 am
JSumm wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:33 am
Wartstein wrote:
JSumm wrote:

Probably this ("just a bad example")

I tried a Para 3 LW for a bit more than a month, and in that (admittedly rather short) period of time it sat just as firm in the pocket as my Manix 2 LW, Chap and FRN Native (which happens to have a wire clip, but not from the factory)
It's definitely not a wire clip issue. The Chap has amazing retention. I am so confident in that knife that I have gifted 3 of them in hopes to gain some Spyderco fans.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I think offering detailed critique is great for improvement, but blasting an entire customer base is not that.

It is funny that I think of Spyderco completely opposite of the OP. Many of the base models are not made of fancy shiny materials, but lend themselves to easy one handed use and can hold up to hard use while maintaining incredible geometry.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
anycal

Post by anycal »

Who said Spyderco forum engagement was down 🤡
Peter
vivi

Post by vivi »

I kept a spyderco clipped to my waist band when I rode a bicycle from south carolina to ohio without issues.

Kept a Pacific Salt clipped to my rear right jersey pocket when riding a bicycle from texas to sc in 13 days.

I've run over 1,000 miles of mountain trails with a Pacific Salt clipped to my waistband without issue.

I've had Spydercos clipped to my front, rear, cargo and side cellphone pockets for two decades without losing one.

Sometimes things happen. Your experience is far from the norm, however.

Only close calls I've had are seatbelts sometimes unclipped my folder.

All of my experience is with stock clips, not aftermarket deep carry.
:unicorn
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Okay, OP, I am going to ask a question and don't get mad. When you say you clipped the knife on, was the knife itself outside of your pocket or was it down inside of your pocket?

I ask because I have known people to clip the knife on, like they do on TV, with the knife showing outside of the pocket where it absolutely will fall off.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Sock Drawer Commando checking in! To be fair though, every day I take a knife out of the sock drawer and carry it around until the next day... when it gets swapped. Also, I only have an Instagram for looking at new product announcements from gun and silencer manufacturers and I'm afraid I don't post anything.

In the interest of common ground, I also don't like serrations and agree that it sucks you lost your knife.
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

I think the lack of response by the OP says volumes about his desire to have an informed discussion about the problems he encountered.
Some monkeys like to fling their poo at the zoo visitors. Thank god those monkeys are not allowed to carry Spydercos.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Superflex wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:06 am
I think the lack of response by the OP says volumes about his desire to have an informed discussion about the problems he encountered.
Some monkeys like to fling their poo at the zoo visitors. Thank god those monkeys are not allowed to carry Spydercos.
The OP hasn't been logged in since they made that post yesterday

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1007220
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

VooDooChild wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:16 am
Well I gave my civil response yesterday. Now its time to say it how it is.

Can we all just appreciate how this person lost a knife, which is completely their fault. Then blamed the knife design. Then accused Spydercos entire customer base of not being real knife users.

Grow up.
To be fair he was only talking about the people that gave him advice not the entire customer base. He said "all the spyderco fans that made recommendations are those kinds of people."
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

VooDooChild wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:16 am

Grow up.
No! YOU grow up!
A Navy Seal gave him a knife, and he climbs 5.5 at Joshua Tree.
He's way smarter than any of us sock puppet jockeys.

:anguished :hand-over-mouth :squinting-tongue
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

it always makes me laugh when people complain about spyderco pocket clips. without spyderco, we'd still have those awkward knife-shaped bulges in the bottom of our pockets and silly belt pouches.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
James Y

Post by James Y »

Looks like OP posted and ran. He lost a knife, which was entirely his fault; then decided to start a thread where he posts a passive-aggressive insult to members who thought they were helping him, and left because he didn’t want to see the responses. I’m glad I wasn’t one of those who tried to help the OP.

If/when he gets a Kershaw or whatever and loses that, he’ll be blaming Kershaw, and insulting anyone who suggested to him that those were good knives.

Jim