Bringing back the Co Pilot

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Bringing back the Co Pilot

Post by sal »

Hi Nerdlock,

Most often it's saved and stored, but not always. Depends on the tooling, the maker and time.

We made a Dennis LeMaire Laguiole model under the "Ramco" label. We wanted to remake the model years later as it was FRN tooling. But the maker had passed away and the tooling was no longer around.

sal
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I would love to see the co pilot return.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I agree the copilot is a great little knife. I have an SE one and doubt I’ll ever let it go despite not ever carrying it.

They’re easy to come by on eBay. Might be simpler to just go buy a nice used one than to try to get the model revived.
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

sal wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:29 pm
I know we do older model sprints so newer folks can see the model. We always change something to differentiate it from the original. This permits a reproduction using the same tooling. In this case, if we were to move on the concept, I think I would prefer to make mods to being it up to the current decade.

sal
I don't think making mods to bring it up to the current decade would be a problem for anyone liking this knife as long as it's basically the Co Pilot. I certainly have no problem with that. Especially since that sounds more in line with a production model than a sprint? Which I would prefer, not just so other fans get to enjoy the design, but so I can actually get one! Sprints aren't easy to get I guess everyone knows.
Thanks for the replies.
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

zhyla wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:51 am
I agree the copilot is a great little knife. I have an SE one and doubt I’ll ever let it go despite not ever carrying it.

They’re easy to come by on eBay. Might be simpler to just go buy a nice used one than to try to get the model revived.
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

They're not that easy to come by and the few that are available are usually stupid expensive. And if Sal wants to bring it back, and it seems like he miiight be interested, who am I to stop him? LOL.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I wouldn't mind seeing the Co Pilot come back, especially in solid FRN like is used on the Dragonfly. The handle just seems to fit me better than the Dragonfly's.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

sal wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:33 am
Hi Nerdlock,

Most often it's saved and stored, but not always. Depends on the tooling, the maker and time.

We made a Dennis LeMaire Laguiole model under the "Ramco" label. We wanted to remake the model years later as it was FRN tooling. But the maker had passed away and the tooling was no longer around.

sal

Thank you for indulging my curiosity as well as that little bit of Spydie history, Sal. Very nice to know that you do save some of your tooling for posterity's sake.
:smlling-eyes
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Co Pilot wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:45 pm
They're not that easy to come by and the few that are available are usually stupid expensive. And if Sal wants to bring it back, and it seems like he miiight be interested, who am I to stop him? LOL.
Wow, you’re right, most of them are selling for over $100. Still not a bad price if it’s a knife you must have.

Maybe I should sell mine…
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

By the way, taking eBay average price of $100, I still think you’re better off seeking out a used one. Stainless handled dragonflies are $80 and a new copilot will likely be more.
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

zhyla wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:00 pm
By the way, taking eBay average price of $100, I still think you’re better off seeking out a used one. Stainless handled dragonflies are $80 and a new copilot will likely be more.
[/quote
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm sorry my friend they just aren't that price. Someone might want to do this if they were available on ebay for$100.00.The cheapest one on ebay right now and for the last several weeks is $145.00. The rest are over $200.00 and close to $300.00. Think a production model for $80.00 would be great by the way.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Co Pilot wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:29 am

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm sorry my friend they just aren't that price. Someone might want to do this if they were available on ebay for$100.00.The cheapest one on ebay right now and for the last several weeks is $145.00. The rest are over $200.00 and close to $300.00. Think a production model for $80.00 would be great by the way.
Look at sold listings, not what people are asking. There are always crazy asking prices on eBay, nobody buys them.

Also if you dig thru “Spyderco” used listings you’ll find copilots that aren’t labeled as such and they go cheaper. Also check out Bladeforums exchange, people there price things very reasonably. I think I paid like $30 for mine.
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

zhyla wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:00 am
Co Pilot wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:29 am

Look at sold listings, not what people are asking. There are always crazy asking prices on eBay, nobody buys them.

Also if you dig thru “Spyderco” used listings you’ll find copilots that aren’t labeled as such and they go cheaper. Also check out Bladeforums exchange, people there price things very reasonably. I think I paid like $30 for mine.
Thanks for the information, always forget people list things poorly on ebay. Very poorly But still lets not discourage Sal from bringing it back, lol.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Co Pilot wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:46 pm
But still lets not discourage Sal from bringing it back, lol.
Oh I’m not. But man, there’s so many “bring back X” threads. They can’t bring them all back. Sal seems receptive here but honestly the tiny knives are pretty niche.
NarwhalisnotKosher

Post by NarwhalisnotKosher »

sal wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:13 pm
Hi Co Pilot,

Welcome to our forum.

I should tell you that we do have another visitor with the screen name "CoPilot" that has been collecting them for quite a while.

For the purpose of discussion; How would you refine it? Keeping in mind that handles of future stainless models will be screw construction which affects the clip due to the pivot screw head and the short handle. Would Tip up work? Would a handle forward design work? Would full flat work?

The CoPilot was one of my early designs that was legal for airline travel. We actually had a couple, that were also writers, actually fly to Africa with their CoPilots, hunted and skinned the game with them, flew back with them on the plane and wrote an article about it. (History for Barry).

sal
Personally, the Copilot with Ti scales, and S35VN/S45VN/Elmax/Vanax would be a knife that would always be on me
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

zhyla wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:04 pm
Co Pilot wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:46 pm
But still lets not discourage Sal from bringing it back, lol.
Oh I’m not. But man, there’s so many “bring back X” threads. They can’t bring them all back. Sal seems receptive here but honestly the tiny knives are pretty niche.
[/quot Don't know if they're niche, the Dragonfly sells pretty well. Just hoping if the Co Pilot came back it would have the same reception once people see or more important feel one. Don't think the "bring back X" threads are bad, it's a forum. People are expressing their wants. It's pretty unique to Spyderco, and amazing to be able to make suggestions, more or less "speak" to the company president. Sal seems to enjoy the feedback and find it useful in determining what to bring back.
Just wait until you want a model brought back dude.LOL.
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

Sal,
Hello, hope this finds you well. Any further thoughts on this?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Co Pilot,

Peter and I are working on a new design.

sal
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Always good to read about new designs!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Awesome Sal!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032