Bringing back the Co Pilot

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Co Pilot

Re: Bringing back the Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

sal wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:36 pm
Hi Co Pilot,

Peter and I are working on a new design.

sal
sal,
Would it be too much if I also said AWESOME!? Really great to hear. Thanks so much.

I would like to relay a little more about my fondness for this knife. This was one of the favorite knives of my best friend of 25 years and fellow knife nut. This was one of his favorite knives period. He always had one on him. He was also a super generous guy who would give knives he had on him to people who expressed interest or wanted one. Just give it to them. That was the type of man he was. He had even given me an alumite handled one he had when I said I wanted one and they were not in production. There came a point when he had no Co Pilots. He had given the last one away right out of his pocket.
So I gave him back the alumite handled one and a stainless handled one I owned. He couldn't NOT have a Co Pilot! It just wouldn't be him.Then I had none, but that was ok. He was the Co Pilot nut, and he was my best friend. And would and had done the same for me and many others.

You may have already noticed I'm speaking in the past tense. He died in 2013. In his 50s. Heart attack in the middle of the night. It broke my heart and I miss him every day. His name was Dennis. His family had no use for his knives and I don't know what they did with them. I would have liked to have his Co Pilots. I hope you won't mind if I say this one's for you brother.
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

I would be very interested in one of these. Trick one out with some wood scales please!
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I think he'd be pretty proud Co Pilot.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

sal wrote:
Hi Co Pilot,

sal
Looks to me like the Co-Pilot's basic design could be adapted to a more handle forward design like the Rockjumper. Could be called the Rockhopper after one of the world's smallest penguins.
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

bearrowland wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:09 am
I think he'd be pretty proud Co Pilot.
Hey bearrowland,Thanks for that and reading my very long post.I think he would be to. And happy. I'd like to think he's smiling.
PWork

Post by PWork »

I'd love to see the Co-Pilot brought back, especially if it could be done in a LW with FFG.
Paul
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Co Pilot wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:26 am
sal wrote:
Hi Co Pilot,

sal
sal,
Would it be too much if I also said AWESOME!? Really great to hear. Thanks so much.

I would like to relay a little more about my fondness for this knife. This was one of the favorite knives of my best friend of 25 years and fellow knife nut. This was one of his favorite knives period. He always had one on him. He was also a super generous guy who would give knives he had on him to people who expressed interest or wanted one. Just give it to them. That was the type of man he was. He had even given me an alumite handled one he had when I said I wanted one and they were not in production. There came a point when he had no Co Pilots. He had given the last one away right out of his pocket.
So I gave him back the alumite handled one and a stainless handled one I owned. He couldn't NOT have a Co Pilot! It just wouldn't be him.Then I had none, but that was ok. He was the Co Pilot nut, and he was my best friend. And would and had done the same for me and many others.

You may have already noticed I'm speaking in the past tense. He died in 2013. In his 50s. Heart attack in the middle of the night. It broke my heart and I miss him every day. His name was Dennis. His family had no use for his knives and I don't know what they did with them. I would have liked to have his Co Pilots. I hope you won't mind if I say this one's for you brother.
I've had generous friends like that in my life, and now in my 40's I try to be that friend to others. No one remembered is truly gone, thanks for sharing your memory of your friend.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

ZrowsN1s ,Thanks for reading it. I share my memories of him to share his memory with others. If you thought of him in the moments it took you to read it he was alive again for awhile. If that makes sense? Also to help us all appreciate those we love who are here a bit more. And he would have loved seeing the Co Pilot reintroduced and got a kick out of me mentioning him on here. Thanks again.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Just giving this thread a bump to see if there's any news.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

MNOSD member 0032
mike45acp

Post by mike45acp »

I’d definitely buy another Co-pilot! The Co-pilot was my very first Spyderco! My second was the police md! Talk about extremes! The Co-pilot was also my most lost knife! I think I’ve lost 3 of them!
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

That's painful Mike! I cringe when I lose any knife, but that'd be a heart breaker.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
sal

Post by sal »

I have a drawing started and began mods and just too busy on other stuff. Thanx for the "Prod". I'll pull it out this weekend.

sal
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

sal wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:36 am
I have a drawing started and began mods and just too busy on other stuff. Thanx for the "Prod". I'll pull it out this weekend.

sal
"mods"? :face monocle
What mods?
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

sal wrote:

sal
This is very exciting to hear, Sal. We’ve got an entire generation of folks since the last CoPilot Sprint Run who have never experienced the knife. If there is anything I can do to help provide feedback or keep this idea moving forward, just let me know. I will be glad to help.
><> The most important blood trail leads to the Cross <><
C09 CoPilots My Specialty
Integrity is Being Good Even if No One is WatchingTM
Looking for: C04 Executive plain edge, C09 CoPilot plain edge with brass liners and a G-2 marked blade
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

sal wrote:
Hi Co Pilot,

sal
Sal:

My only suggestions for new modifications to the C09 Copilot would be to choose handle materials and blade steel that will make the knife as affordable as possible keep it within the reach of most people who want to experience it.

I had the extremely good fortune of putting together my Copilot collection nearly 20 years ago now when the oldest examples were scarce but still somewhat available on the secondary market. Today people are lucky if they get to see one of the later models (with ATS-55 steel) go by on eBay. The brass-lined early pieces are all but impossible to find these days, and most folks have never seen one.

I do hope that this project will come to fruition. But whatever shape it takes, my hope is that the final result will be something that is affordable and made in a large enough quantity that many people will get to enjoy it.

The Copilot
><> The most important blood trail leads to the Cross <><
C09 CoPilots My Specialty
Integrity is Being Good Even if No One is WatchingTM
Looking for: C04 Executive plain edge, C09 CoPilot plain edge with brass liners and a G-2 marked blade
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

sal wrote:

sal
Good to see this is still in the works. I look forward to seeing the drawings and "mods". Is the wharncliffe blade a part of it? Thanks.
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

The CoPilot wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:47 am
sal wrote:
Hi Co Pilot,

sal
Sal:

My only suggestions for new modifications to the C09 Copilot would be to choose handle materials and blade steel that will make the knife as affordable as possible keep it within the reach of most people who want to experience it.

I had the extremely good fortune of putting together my Copilot collection nearly 20 years ago now when the oldest examples were scarce but still somewhat available on the secondary market. Today people are lucky if they get to see one of the later models (with ATS-55 steel) go by on eBay. The brass-lined early pieces are all but impossible to find these days, and most folks have never seen one.

I do hope that this project will come to fruition. But whatever shape it takes, my hope is that the final result will be something that is affordable and made in a large enough quantity that many people will get to enjoy it.

The Copilot
I really hope to see this in a stainless handle model. Sal mentioned in an earlier post in this thread it would be the "new" design with screw construction I believe, but that would preclude tip down carry. As I am a big fan of tip down carry I hope it can somehow be offered with that option. I hope to see it in ss for that classic CoPilot look. And I guess in FRN to make a more affordable option, though the ss Delicas, etc aren't a whole lot more expensive than the FRN. I also hope it has liners. Just not an FRN fan and like such a "weightless" feeling in a knife w/o liners even less, especially at this size.