A ''big'' question and challenge for Sal and Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

A ''big'' question and challenge for Sal and Spyderco

Post by elena86 »

Why are Golden and Seki blades ground so thick behind the edge(most are more than 0.024'' bte) ? It's not the case with most of my Taichung or even my Maniago blades. Why on earth most of my VG10 Delicas are more or less 0.028'' bte ? First and foremost the edge is made to clean cut or slice not to whithstand hard use or even abuse. I hate to give names here but I own a few knives from WE, Civivi, Bestech, Ferrum Forge or Manly and those blades are a dream to slice or just cut with... most are more or less 0.015'' bte but so is my K390 Urban or my Domino, not to mention my Chaparral. Sal said the edge is a ghost so it should be veeeery thin :smlling-eyes Before throwing stones at me I must say that this thread is not meant to criticize but to challenge. Just share your thoughts.

P.S Just to be clear, I measure my blades behind the edge after reprofiling at around 15 dps unless they came like that from the factory.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
araneae

Re: A ''big'' question and challenge for Sal and Spyderco

Post by araneae »

Warranty issues.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Probably just to be on the safe side of warranty issues.

I'm sure they can grind them thinner, but when blades start snapping in half after people do stupid human tricks, all of a sudden Spyderco "have heat treat issues" and "Spyderco make fragile knives that can't stand real world use".

So, the other side of this coin is that a Shaman is also likely significantly stronger than many of those other brands.

But, to play devil's advocate I too wish more of them were ground thinner. I like both overbuilt beater tank knives and high performance slicers.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:02 pm
Probably just to be on the safe side of warranty issues.

I'm sure they can grind them thinner, but when blades start snapping in half after people do stupid human tricks, all of a sudden Spyderco "have heat treat issues" and "Spyderco make fragile knives that can't stand real world use".

So, the other side of this coin is that a Shaman is also likely significantly stronger than many of those other brands.

But, to play devil's advocate I too wish more of them were ground thinner. I like both overbuilt beater tank knives and high performance slicers.

Warranty ?! This should not be an issue IMO. What about the Taichung ones ? Most are less than 0.020''. I am not talking Civivi thin but 0.028'' bte like the Delica ?! Give me a break ...
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

OP, not trying to be argumentative, but are you comparing similar grinds or are you comparing hollow grinds to full flat or flat saber grinds? If done right, hollow grinds can be thinner BTE than FFG or Saber. As far as I can remember, Spyderco switched to FFG based on pretty loud requests from end users.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

I'd also like to see knives made thinner behind the edge. .020" is still durable and a notable improvement. .015" is very nice indeed, but probably too much to ask for.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
elena86

Post by elena86 »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:15 pm
OP, not trying to be argumentative, but are you comparing similar grinds or are you comparing hollow grinds to full flat or flat saber grinds? If done right, hollow grinds can be thinner BTE than FFG or Saber. As far as I can remember, Spyderco switched to FFG based on pretty loud requests from end users.

Full flat
Marius

( Rabindranath Tagore )

JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

elena86 wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:24 pm
JRinFL wrote:

Full flat
Thank you for the clarification.

I too would like to see more knives with thinner stock as I try to never pry with a knife.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

elena86 wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:13 pm

Warranty ?! This should not be an issue IMO. What about the Taichung ones ? Most are less than 0.020''. I am not talking Civivi thin but 0.028'' bte like the Delica ?! Give me a break ...

Oh my bad. They make them thick specifically so that you don't like them :winking-tongue

Really, I'm sure they have their reasons, and I would bet you every single knife I own that warranty is at least some part of it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

We are knife geeks. We know better.

Have you seen how the average Joe uses a knife?

There is a high performance Delica in the works for us.
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Referring to this thread I think it's kind of hard to generalize that Taichung knives are all under .020" BTE and all Golden & Seki City knives are way above that. I have a lot of Taichung models and I don't think most are under .020". I'll trying to take a closer look tonight and follow up later....

viewtopic.php?t=73097

BTW, I also like knives that are thin behind the edge but I have no issue with ones that are a little thicker. As long as they're sharp it seems like they go through cardboard pretty easily to me. So I like to check BTE but it's not really something I obsess over
Last edited by Sharp Guy on Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:33 pm
elena86 wrote:
JRinFL wrote:

Full flat

I too would like to see more knives with thinner stock as I try to never pry with a knife.

I am not talking thinner stock but thinner bte. My K390 Urban is thinner bte than my Chaparrals or my Delicas...just to give an example
Marius

( Rabindranath Tagore )

elena86

Post by elena86 »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:39 pm
elena86 wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:13 pm

Oh my bad. They make them thick specifically so that you don't like them :winking-tongue
Never thought about this... you might be right :')
Marius

( Rabindranath Tagore )

crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

What angle do you profile them?
Justin
FK

Post by FK »

Fairly easy to modify the behind the edge thickness.
Lay the knife flat on a stone,,,, raise the spine about 2-3 degrees and grind away.
The kitchen knife guys call this "thinning a knife" to make it slice better, many do this before sharpening as a routine to avoid thickening behind the edge.
If you are only concerned about .003-.004" per side,,,, it should be accomplished easily.

https://youtu.be/twP_05UEHIM

https://youtu.be/3jsTtnidY3w

Regards,
FK
elena86

Post by elena86 »

crazywednesday wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:02 pm
Read my P.S ... 15 dps
Marius

( Rabindranath Tagore )

crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

elena86 wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:12 pm
crazywednesday wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:02 pm
Read my P.S ... 15 dps
If all of your knives are sharpened 15 dps, the only way to change bte for a given blade height is stock thickness.
elena86 wrote:
JRinFL wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:33 pm
elena86 wrote:
JRinFL wrote:

Full flat

I am not talking thinner stock but thinner bte. My K390 Urban is thinner bte than my Chaparrals or my Delicas...just to give an example
Justin
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

elena86 wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:13 pm
Why are Golden and Seki blades ground so thick behind the edge(most are more than 0.024'' bte) ?
Because Americans have basic tendency to taller, fatter, etc. :zany
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
vivi

Post by vivi »

Why are you using such a thick edge, then complaining about it to Sal?

I reprofile most my knives to 10dps or so. I think 15 dps is too thick too...........so I don't use it.
:unicorn
Karl_H

Post by Karl_H »

Aside from a few outliers, I think most Spyderco’s have a BTE thickness of 0.015 to 0.025in.

There is BTE database thread, which has a fairly good sample size.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73097

When it comes to edge bevels me BTE thickness, I would say that Spyderco is currently among the best American knife manufacturers.

Frankly, I think this is driven by several factors:
- A lot of Americans do stupid things with knives and then get upset, if the edge is damaged.
- Most Americans cannot or don’t want to sharpen their knives, themselves. For these people, rolled or chipped edges are a big deal, even if they don’t make a warranty claim.
- Most of Spyderco’s knives are made from relatively brittle steels which have high abrasion resistance, which reduces the stability of thin edges.
- A lot of Americans don’t want to be told what to do with their knives or won’t read any instructions that come with the knife (like this knife is not designed to be used for prying, scraping, batoning, etc.)
- Replacing a knife under warranty is a significant financial loss for the manufacturer.

I think they also expect people who really care about cutting performance to reprofile the edge bevel to their preferred specifications.