Para 3 LW Coffin

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Brown_Recluse

Para 3 LW Coffin

Post by Brown_Recluse »

My favorite Spyderco (other than the Spydiechef) is hands down the OG Para 3. Sadly though, I have missed out on several of the Para 3 exclusives and sprints. So, now that the Para 3 LW is getting exlusives with premium blade steels I've been Frankensteining some of my grail knives.

With all due respect to Sal and Eric, I am not a fan of the Para 3 LW at all. It reminds me of the OG Benchmade Bugout in that I feel like I could snap them in half. Since the LWs are pretty inexpensive compared to OG Para 3s I've been getting the exclusive P3LWs and then swapping the blades with my basic G10 models or putting after market scales on them mainly for strength and versatility but also originality.

I doubt many folks out there have a CPM-M4 P3 with blacked out scales, liners and screws or an S90V P3 clad with marbled carbon fiber scales and i see GP knives will have a coated Rex-45 blade soon which would go great with one of my camo varieties.

But I was just wondering if anyone else does this. I know it voids the warranty but I do that as soon as I get any new Spyderco anyway. As far as the title goes, i have a Spyderco box with 3 or 4 sets of P3LW scales (with their single brass washer and single strip of metal that passes as a compression lock) that I call the lightweight coffin lol. That's another reason I can't stand the LWs because just why? why 1 washer? my symmetry obsessed self just will not allow myself to use it. I'm sure they're strong, capable knives or else Spyderco wouldnt put their name on it but my mental quirks can't do it. I have found a use for them though
:bug-red-white
CPM S90V
Maxamet
CPM-M4
M390
CPM 20CV
Lc200N
CPM-S45VN
kennethsime

Re: Para 3 LW Coffin

Post by kennethsime »

I'll say this: I'm pretty stoked on the P3LW variations.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Your way of enjoying your knives is as valid as mine of course, but they are certainly different:

I actually think what you call "a single strip of metal that passes as a compression lock" is a perfect variant of a certainly 100% legit and functional compression lock.
For me a great thing that they managed to implement that lock type in a linerless ightweight model!

On the model itself: It feels more than solid enough for me, perhaps a bit more "brittle" than Seki FRN, but that just by the feel of the FRN inhand. Linerless FRN is good and strong stuff!

"Just one liner" is not a problem at all for me, since the knife functions perfectly well. I mean, I can't even SEE that there is just one without disassembling the knife... ?!
And a silgjtly off centered blade (which perhaps sometimes/often comes with that just-one-liner-thing) does not bother me at all too.

For me personally the Para 3 LW is the version I'd clearly prefer over the G10 in this model.

/ BTW: I think just disassembling a Spyderco does not void the warranty anymore (exchanging parts between knives might though)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

Brown_Recluse wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:20 pm
My favorite Spyderco (other than the Spydiechef) is hands down the OG Para 3. Sadly though, I have missed out on several of the Para 3 exclusives and sprints. So, now that the Para 3 LW is getting exlusives with premium blade steels I've been Frankensteining some of my grail knives.

With all due respect to Sal and Eric, I am not a fan of the Para 3 LW at all. It reminds me of the OG Benchmade Bugout in that I feel like I could snap them in half. Since the LWs are pretty inexpensive compared to OG Para 3s I've been getting the exclusive P3LWs and then swapping the blades with my basic G10 models or putting after market scales on them mainly for strength and versatility but also originality.

Have you ever broke a BM Bugout? Or P3LW? based on what you wrote, I'm going to guess, no.

Or is this just how "you" perceive they "feel"? "Feel" being a subjective thing.

Lots of folks do what you do (blade/handle swaps), and there are a number of photos on this forum, and other places on line, showing such things.
It would be super cool if you posted yours up for all of us to see too.
Perhaps in the "what spyderco is in your pocket today" thread, or the "show your mod's/modded Spyderco" thread - or both :)

I have a few "OG Para 3's" as well. I've always thought of them as "kind of" the Spyderco version of a CQC7. Relatively small & relatively stout one hand opening knife with a pocket clip (invoke images of a tanto Para 3 lol - maybe even chisel ground, LOL). For what they are, I like them just fine, and they have their place. The OG Para 3 being available in numerous steels (S30V, S45VN, Maxamet, Sprints & Exclusives), and having a thumb hole, are some Very nice perks IMO.

I do wonder what your intent is with the thread title "Para 3 LW Coffin". That is perhaps a different discussion though...

u.w.
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

Having Para 3 LWs in BD1N, S90V and M4, I have though about swapping scales to get a mint chocolate chip look with the mint green scales and the BD1N blackout blade
wridziwn

Post by wridziwn »

I got a serrated DLC BD1N Para 3 LW and swapped the blade to a blacked out G-10 version since they don't offer a DLC serrated G-10 version, only satin. The LW scales are too smooth and slippery on the edges for me (unlike a Delica/Endela), and I prefer the more balanced weight of the liner'd G-10. I prefer the grip and feel of the bi-directional textured FRN vs the G-10, but those rounded smooth edges and front-heavy weight ruin it for me.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

For G10 you can get S110v and Maxamet as production. K390 as an exclusive. Those are 3 solid para 3 G10 variants.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Just out of curiosity, what color scales do you have in your coffin?
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I like a lot of the Spyderco Lightweights but the P3 Lightweight is not one of them. I tried it once. Blade-heavy and scales felt cheap. If they used thinner blade stock to rebalance it and improve slicing then maybe.
foofie

Post by foofie »

I am just the opposite. I have bought many of the g10 versions, and placed the blades into the LW frame. The weight, the contouring, and the clip make the LW just about perfect for me.
I think the g10 is more popular - but there are enough odd balls like me that actually seek out the LW.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Recluse,

Interesting point of view. Thanx fer sharin'.

I remember telling my daughter when she was young and we were in New York. We jumped onto a light stand and looked over the crowd in downtown Manhattan, at a sea of heads, and I told her that in each head contains a mind that is a Universe. You are proof of that concept.

sal
archangel

Post by archangel »

Another LW disapprover here. It's just not the real thing for me.

Here's a tip for you, Recluse: https://g10.lt/?cat=36
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I'd say that you do what you want with the things you buy.
I personnally buy Spydercos mainly for the blades ! I just keep them attached to their handle :')

IMHO, lots of people buy models they don't like and then are surprised !

Buying a knife just for the blade and customizing it is different, you know what you like, and you're free to create it/make it real.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

I'd agree that I like my G10 P3 much better than my P3 LWs, although I think they all suffer from ridiculously thick blade stock for that sized knife. To me the P3 LW would have been much more interesting if it had been designed with the same blade stock thickness as the Delica. I do understand though that the P3 series came along during the era of tacticool toughness requirements, maybe a P4 redesign could bring the knife into the era "sliceyness" focus.

Question for the OP though, it sounds like in addition to swapping blades, you're also putting better aftermarket scales/handles on your P3 LW? If so, where are you getting these scales, I'd like to upgrade my P3 LWs, but the only upgraded scales I've seen were some clear acrylic scales on Etsy that weren't really my speed.