TNP Nutnfancy Spyderco Delica 4

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
nerdlock

TNP Nutnfancy Spyderco Delica 4

Post by nerdlock »

I'm surprised no one posted this one here yet, but knowing some members' past issues with this guy's reviews, I guess I understand.

Overall though, 130 for S35VN and an additional graphic seems kinda expensive for what it is.
Last edited by nerdlock on Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
metaphoricalsimile

Re: TNP Nutnfancy Spyderco Delica 4

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

I think S35VN is a fine steel for a delica but I don't want anything branded by that dude (or really branded by anything but spyderco)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:00 pm
I think S35VN is a fine steel for a delica but I don't want anything branded by that dude (or really branded by anything but spyderco)
same. his videos are informative if you can stand to listen to him enjoying the sound of his own voice. what's really undesirable is his army of loyal minions that worship him and take everything he says as gospel.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah, no issues for or against whoever, just generally not a fan of extra logos that aren't maker's marks or something really meaningful to me. I'm sure he has plenty of fans for them though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Too much billboarding on the blade!

At first I thought it was overpriced at $129.95 for a Delica4 S35VN Black TiCN/FRN but a regular production Delica4 S30V Black TiCN/FRN is $133.00! Both are clearly overpriced since you can get a Native5 S30V Black DLC (tougher and more expensive than TiCN) / FRN for $122.50!
Last edited by RamZar on Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Agree with all of the above about the branding on the blade. Super gaudy and tacky. I definitely would have bought one if it wasn't there.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Maybe in a world where the k390 ($15 less) and m390 ($15 more) versions didn't exist I'd consider this knife. But I have insufficient love for coated blades and this YouTube "influencer" for this to be appealing to me.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I think the disappointment after the TNP Dragonfly flew under the radar was because it was the only Dragonfly with a TiCN coating to that point.

Technically, if someone likes this version of the Delica but doesn't want the "TNP" billboarding, they could buy a regular blue VG10 Delica and a pink/TiCN S30V Delica and handle swap them. It would almost be this exact configuration minus the "TNP" engraving.
-Nick :bug-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm no delica fan so this isn't on my radar but I find it amusing people have such an issue with TNP etched on the blade but makers marks don't bother them. Doesn't seem gaudy or anything to me.

Nutnfancy's reviews are longwinded for my tastes but I appreciate he actually carries and uses the knives I've seen him review. That's more than I can say about a lot of knife "reviewers."
:unicorn
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

$130 Delica, yeah no
K1500

Post by K1500 »

I’m guessing most folks against this logo are ok with Lance’s ‘surfingringo’ logo on a waterway or siren. I guess he is a designer and not just a promoter, which could make it different.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

K1500 wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:20 pm
I’m guessing most folks against this logo are ok with Lance’s ‘surfingringo’ logo on a waterway or siren. I guess he is a designer and not just a promoter, which could make it different.

Yeah, maybe I am weird like that. I actually really like the H1 and LC200N logos, and Sal's mark, and the Heinnie Haynes mark I think is cool as it is understated and in an inconspicuous area. This is just awful though with the big TNP and the numbering right smack in the middle. I don't like numbered blades at all. I would never buy a collectors club knife, even if it was a grail, because of the numbering. I hate forum knives with writing on the blade as well.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:42 pm
K1500 wrote:

Yeah, maybe I am weird like that. I actually really like the H1 and LC200N logos, and Sal's mark, and the Heinnie Haynes mark I think is cool as it is understated and in an inconspicuous area. This is just awful though with the big TNP and the numbering right smack in the middle. I don't like numbered blades at all. I would never buy a collectors club knife, even if it was a grail, because of the numbering. I hate forum knives with writing on the blade as well.
If you were a C95 nut you'd probably break your rule. IIRC only 600 were made, and IIRC again, all were numbered. Or at least half.

steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

vivi wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:05 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
K1500 wrote:

If you were a C95 nut you'd probably break your rule. IIRC only 600 were made, and IIRC again, all were numbered. Or at least half.

I did break my no-zome rule recently for the DLT Endelas and even went as far as to buy the TiCN Delica Zome from them. This stuff on the blade I find much more unappealing personally though. I'd maybe consider a C95 with numbering, if it was a sprint with the Dino jimping, Delta 3V, and green micarta. :)
vivi

Post by vivi »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:27 pm
vivi wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:05 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
K1500 wrote:

I did break my no-zome rule recently for the DLT Endelas and even went as far as to buy the TiCN Delica Zome from them. This stuff on the blade I find much more unappealing personally though. I'd maybe consider a C95 with numbering, if it was a sprint with the Dino jimping, Delta 3V, and green micarta. :)
If they ever run another sprint of the C95, Spyderco knows at least 2 will sell ;)
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:00 pm
Concur, I don't hate him, but he's just kind of a tool, too annoying for me to make it through an episode. I wouldn't want his logo on anything i carry on my person.

I do think S35VN would be a good match for the Delica, the higher than average toughness for a stainless should allow thinner edges before you run into chipping issues. Soon MagnaCut will be the main steel offering in the Delica (maybe if I repeat this enough it will come true), so I should probably just hold out for that version.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

It’s not for me, that’s for sure.
I don’ like branding or billboarding of any kind, so it being TNP doesn’t make much of a difference.
A subdued tastefully done makers mark is something different, that’s more like a signature on a painting.
As far as Nutnfancy goes, I can’t help but go a little easy on him. He has a few opinions that don’t align with my own, but that’s fine. His biggest flaw is probably that he can be very vocal and appear confident even on specifics that he haven’t properly researched. Besides that I think his enthusiasm and actual real world use and experience has done a lot to expand the knife community and recruited many. Even though many or maybe most knife enthusiast who start their knife journey through TNP knife videos outgrow his review style, I think that’s also a positive aspect of his personality. Even after all these years with access and funds that would make most people go through a knife-vanity inflation, he still enjoys high value, affordable user knives and continue to review those types of knives, which again means he’s probably still continue to make more people curious about knives.
Another thing I’ve noticed is that people who had random interactions with him consistently describes him in a way that leads me to believe he’s a very kind and generous person. Not all people would pass such a test.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

What is surprising me is the price. Lately,
we saw 20cv zome delicas and endelas for much less money :hushed-face
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Ramonade wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:07 am
What is surprising me is the price. Lately,
we saw 20cv zome delicas and endelas for much less money :hushed-face

Probably adds cost to get the laser engraving on the blade. Dealers can also charge what they want above MAP, so perhaps the youtuber wanted to bake in a few extra thousand in profit for himself? :shush BentoBox is now pricing their uncoated M390 Delica exclusive at $144.95. >:[
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

Just to much $$$ for delica for me. Like others the bill board is not something I want at this price.

Still in stock, maybe they ordered to many? Definitely failed to amp up the online buying frenzy with a bunch of random post on Facebook and such.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021