CTS BD1N Contoured PM2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Albertaboyscott

Re: CTS BD1N Contoured PM2

Post by Albertaboyscott »

I dunno. Looks like it's flat and the texturing is mutidirectional giving the illusion of contours. Looking forward to the knife either way!
Matus

Post by Matus »

It is about the time for the PM2 (and other Spyderco knives) to get contoured scales …
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

In my eyes, this is nearly as interesting as the Cru-carta version if it’s without significant contouring. If it is indeed as contoured as Evil-D suggests, it’s easily more exciting than Cru-wear and flat micarta.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Combining a scale upgrade with a steel downgrade in this special edition is a bit of a head scratcher for me.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

If it is contoured at all, it looks subtle. Comparable to their fluted carbon fiber and fluted Ti scales.

The top cross section is probably what we can expect. (If it is contoured)

The Shaman scales actually aren't contoured. They're flat scales with rounded edges. (Bottom cross section)

The handle on this BD1N PM2 does not have rounded edges like the Shaman.
-Nick :bug-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

One thing I almost can´t believe:

That they´d put that pic with that knife in the "Byte" coincidentally... I mean, new sort of scales (regardless if contoured or not), new (for the PM2) blade steel... it was crystal clear that people who are into Spyderco would notice that sooner or later and begin to speculate... :smirk
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I wonder if it is a sprint or exclusive? I wonder if they spilled the beans a little early or if that was intentional?

I am excited about both the steel and the scales. Great color and they look to be contoured to me. I hope it isn’t too difficult to acquire.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Crox

Post by Crox »

Gtscotty wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:39 pm
Combining a scale upgrade with a steel downgrade in this special edition is a bit of a head scratcher for me.
I agree. Seems like goal is to suck us in with contoured scales…. Then upgrade the steel later in hopes we can’t resist buying another….
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

bearfacedkiller wrote: I wonder if it is a sprint or exclusive? I wonder if they spilled the beans a little early or if that was intentional?

I am excited about both the steel and the scales. Great color and they look to be contoured to me. I hope it isn’t too difficult to acquire.
Maybe this Byte newsletter was composed before they decided to change the reveal process and this version of the PM2 would have been featured in Reveal V9? Reveal V9 likely would have been out before this Byte newsletter.

Or maybe this PM2 will be the first model to be featured with the new reveal process and this was just a sneaky hint?

---

One observation I had was that the knife is resting on a rifle with a diamond grip and the machined texture on the scales almost appears to be imitating that diamond grip pattern. (contoured as well) Maybe this PM2 is another sprint with a new type of "diamond texture" to follow the "Diamond Arc" pattern they released in Reveal V4.
-Nick :bug-red
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

About darn time Spyderco got into contouring their main sellers' scales, if this is to be believed. IMHO some Spyderco knives have their ergonomic shapes ruined by almost-not-there chamfering.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Matus

Post by Matus »

Agree 100%
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

nerdlock wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:48 pm
About darn time Spyderco got into contouring their main sellers' scales, if this is to be believed. IMHO some Spyderco knives have their ergonomic shapes ruined by almost-not-there chamfering.
This is where it needs to be pointed out that everyone's hands are different. I've always liked the idea of contoured scales but now that I have some I don't think it makes much of a difference to me in use. In fact the knives with contoured handles almost feel like the want to twist more than the slab-sided knives. And the knives that I have that don't have much chamfering (PM2, Para 3 G10, Manix 2, etc) don't feel any less comfortable when I'm using a knife than one's that are nicely chamfered. To my eyes the contoured and chamfered handles are certainly more aesthetically pleasing but to my hands it doesn't make a difference. Like I said, I think the slab-sided handles are actually more stable when cutting something thick.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Gtscotty wrote:
I know BD1N's technically a downgrade compared to a lot of other steels Spyderco uses but I don't really look it that way. I actually really like it. I even like the lesser version BD1. They're easy to get screaming sharp and, at least to me, it seems like I can cut more cardboard with it than it should. Then all it takes is a quick touch up on the Sharpmaker and I'm back in business. Plus it's really stainless. No problem with BD1N here
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Personally I like slab sided knives. Makes them stable in the pocket where they spend most of the time.
Some can be a little awkward or down right uncomfortable though, and it probably comes down to a combination of with, height and chamfer in relation to hand shape/size.
The only Spyderco knife I feel like is in need of some kind of modification is the Native Chief. Those edges are rough.
All that to say I wasn’t expecting or even hoping for contoured scales on any of the existing models, but it’s an interesting variation. Not sure it’s interesting enough to tip me over on a PM2 specifically, but if it branches out to other models I’ll definitely be interested.
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

Gtscotty wrote:
It seems like contoured handles are a lot more expensive to make, so maybe using a more economical steel allows them to keep the price similar to the slab/non-contoured version. If that's the case it seems like a fair trade off.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:45 pm
Gtscotty wrote:
I know BD1N's technically a downgrade compared to a lot of other steels Spyderco uses but I don't really look it that way. I actually really like it. I even like the lesser version BD1. They're easy to get screaming sharp and, at least to me, it seems like I can cut more cardboard with it than it should. Then all it takes is a quick touch up on the Sharpmaker and I'm back in business. Plus it's really stainless. No problem with BD1N here

100% agreed.

Said it before: It is easier and quicker than even on VG10 to give BD1N an extremely keen edge (and this coming from a not-exactly-world-class-sharpener...).
And I was actually really surprised how comparably low the edge retention of BD1N is in Larrins objective testing.
Like you in real use I was rather surprised how long BD1N really cuts
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

For being someone that enjoys high edge retention, I have to agree that BD1N is a pretty nice steel. Yea, edge retention in a warehouse isn't very good but it's such a forgiving steel, a breeze to sharpen. Totally agree with the others there. We also have the Z Cuts in our kitchen, both SE and PE. Love that it takes all of 5 minutes to get both back to extremely sharp with no effort.

I never really thought about the contouring part of all of this. Sharp Guy brings up a good point about that. Yes, contouring/rounded edges certainly looks nicer and feels nice in hand (Shaman). But as I sat here prior to making this post with a G10 PM2, Manix and Shaman in hand...and also knowing how they feel while at work over the years, I really don't think the contoured Shaman makes it grip on the knife any better than the others when actually getting down and dirty. Of course the ergos of each knife vary for each individual and how they would grip these knives so it's kind of a hard comparison to make. But I see where he's coming from.

But, that said I still think it's a great touch, but also and understandably adds to the price of the knife as well.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I also dont think its a downgrade. Any steel I can easily sharpen is a plus. Also Im not hesitant to beat on bd1n, although I was very suprised to find that its actually not that tough apparently. Ill just keep pretending it is tougher and use the crap out of it.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:32 pm
nerdlock wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:48 pm
This is where it needs to be pointed out that everyone's hands are different. I've always liked the idea of contoured scales but now that I have some I don't think it makes much of a difference to me in use. In fact the knives with contoured handles almost feel like the want to twist more than the slab-sided knives. And the knives that I have that don't have much chamfering (PM2, Para 3 G10, Manix 2, etc) don't feel any less comfortable when I'm using a knife than one's that are nicely chamfered. To my eyes the contoured and chamfered handles are certainly more aesthetically pleasing but to my hands it doesn't make a difference. Like I said, I think the slab-sided handles are actually more stable when cutting something thick.

I do agree with some of your points, hence why I stated "some" Spyderco designs, while ergonomically amazing, could use some contouring, or if that is not feasible, a bit more chamfering to improve comfort and hand grip. "Ruined" might be too hyperbolic a statement but it serves to make a point.

I find that in some G-10 models that I have, the deeper chamfering of Seki G-10 usually blows away the minimalistic chamfering of Golden G-10. If the same amount of chamfering could be applied to Golden G-10 I wouldn't probably be asking for more contouring.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:11 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:45 pm
Gtscotty wrote:

100% agreed.

Said it before: It is easier and quicker than even on VG10 to give BD1N an extremely keen edge (and this coming from a not-exactly-world-class-sharpener...).
And I was actually really surprised how comparably low the edge retention of BD1N is in Larrins objective testing.
Like you in real use I was rather surprised how long BD1N really cuts
Larrin's sample size of BD1N is very small, he never did a toughness test on it, and his one sample was fairly low hardness for BD1N so I've always wondered if it was properly heat treated.