Looking to buy a Military in 52100 and other discussion about the Military

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Midnightrider

Looking to buy a Military in 52100 and other discussion about the Military

Post by Midnightrider »

I got reamed badly on taxes and fees importing the REX45 and CTS-204P Militarys and paid too much for the S110V but at least that one was at a shop in the EU. The Military is my top most carried/useful knife or all time and I'm pining for one in 52100. I know it's a long shot, so if anybody knows of any NIB 52100 version in EU please lemme know. Would be up for a Cru-Wear but the 52100 has been on my want-list too long.

2nd part...Is there any word on the Military? Looks like the Military isn't getting any love lately due to the PM3 etc.

Thanks guys.
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
Superflex

Re: Looking to buy a Military in 52100 and other discussion about the Military

Post by Superflex »

Bento Box Shop still has the 52100 Military. $349
Not sure if they ship to the EU.
There are plenty of services that can be used to get around a company not shipping to your side of the pond.

Get one. I have the PM3 in 52100 and it's one of my all time favorite steels. Gets scary sharp with minimal effort
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

Thanks, box shop does not ship to the EU and we basically pay 2X the listed price if we buy from outside the EU. So I'm looking for an EU source of this.

It is not just about the shipping. It's the fact we have to pay at least 100% of the price in VAT + fees + customs clearance charges etc. I bought a knife from a major dealer in America a few years ago for 99 bucks and by the time I had it in my hands it cost me $257. The situation is getting worse with some changes in July this year. I can't really pay 700 USD for a Military.
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Yeah, the new EU system for imported goods is pretty harsh. Websites like alie****ss used to lie for what the package contains and where it comes from. And i'm pretty sure it didn't stop it, they just manage to recolt tiny amounts of taxes and customs clearence fees from them.
The worst is that it became super stupid when we talk about shipping from other countries outside of EU that are not China.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Midnightrider wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:13 am
Thanks, box shop does not ship to the EU and we basically pay 2X the listed price if we buy from outside the EU. So I'm looking for an EU source of this.

It is not just about the shipping. It's the fact we have to pay at least 100% of the price in VAT + fees + customs clearance charges etc. I bought a knife from a major dealer in America a few years ago for 99 bucks and by the time I had it in my hands it cost me $257. The situation is getting worse with some changes in July this year. I can't really pay 700 USD for a Military.

That´s surprising!!

The last Spydie bought from an US dealer (I live in Austria/Europe) was not more expensive in the end than if I would have bought it in Europe (and here for the a a lot higher European prices).
As far as I can recall it taxes and tariffs added close to 30% both on the price I paid and the shipping costs.

Back then (like a year ago??) I could still use a forwarding service with pretty low shipping costs from the US to Europe though.
The service I used does not forward pocket knives anymore unfortunately (just kitchen knives...)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

I am not Czech but all my Czech friends warned me of this. The officials here charge basically whatever they want, and many of the big shops will not send regular post. They send UPS/DHL/FEDEX and that costs a lot and the price of the shipping is also taxed. And then those couriers handle the customs clearance and they can charge whatever fees they want. It goes on and on.

Bottom line, every country in Europe is different and you can be right next door and the situation is totally different. There are many companies (Sennheiser, Beyer) that border CR and they don't even sell to us from their website... just crazy.
brj

Post by brj »

My experience has been similar to Wartstein's, I've paid roughly 25% extra for goods shipped USPS from the States to Romania. Not great, not terrible. Way better than what European stores are charging (I ended up paying 700 EUR for a MT Combat Troodon...) Most likely the duty you pay mirrors the class/category of goods the sender has labeled the package under, I think mine has been 'camping gear' or something along these lines.

As for the 52100 Millie, I haven't seen any lately (got mine from Lamnia when they were out, it has been reasonably priced). It IS great, fingers crossed you find one at some point.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I'm a bit surprised. My impression was that CZ had a reasonable administration with common sense regulations, at least in a European perspective.

Anyways, there's a lot to say about this topic in general.
Taxes on imported items are nothing to complain about. It would be rather silly if only stores and distributors were VAT eligible and not private citizens.
Domestic prize levels might seem outlandish compared to prizes in other countries, and there could be lot's of reasons for this, corporate greed is certainly not the complete story. For instance, around here customers have a bunch of legal protection that stores and distributors have to calculate into the prizing for each item. The price tag may appear a little preventive, but there's a lot of peace of mind included in that prize. I try to support my domestic stores as much as possible, but there are a lot of models that's simply not available domestically.

What I'm not a fan of, is the current trend of categorizing knives (pocket knives particularly) as weapons or dangerous items.
Lot's of stores, forwarding services and carriers in the US does no longer accept international shipping of pocket knives. That's currently the largest barrier keeping me from ordering internationally, and it's sad cause I can't really see any good reason for such a restriction.

Another trend we see here in Scandinavia (and I'm also aware of similar practices other places) is that large payment providers does not allow their customers to sell knives and firearms online, even if these items are perfectly legal. They only allow exceptions for gigantic customers that they can't afford to loose. So not only is it a questionable practice to begin with, but it skews the marketplace and makes it even harder for the little guys to survive.

Lastly, here's a little anecdotal story of a knife purchase I posted in the off-topic section, no wonder I'm increasingly hesitant to order from the US (or anywhere outside the EU):
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=90478

It should be noted that even after that incident I was foolish enough to persuade Jeff at Cutlery shoppe to make an exception and ship a CS NC exclusive my way. It got here without any hiccups and even slid under the radar at customs. No VAT or processing fee ever came my way, even though the paperwork was totally legit with all the correct values. Sometimes you're lucky and sometimes you're not. I guess.
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

Guys, it's nice that everybody is sharing their info regarding their countries but I was hoping for some help on my question and it feels like the thread has gotten sidetracked. There probably ought to be a Europeans Complain About Spyderco Availability and Bottom Line Prices thread (and I would post in that :D ) but I would request that that discussion doesn't happen in this thread, or I'm unlikely to get an answer. Thank you.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Midnightrider wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:52 pm
I may be worthwhile to keep an eye on Ebay; I found a 52100 Military there, and for not a bad price either (but that was over a year ago).
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

Thank you @JonLeBlanc. I can find the knife, I just cannot find it in the EU. They do a pretty good job here of making that not worth it. I do like ebay, but unless they use that global shipping program (which is slow and also not cheap) there's no way to know what something will cost until it's too late.