Spyderco Forum Engagement Down

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kobold

Re: Spyderco Forum Engagement Down

Post by kobold »

aicolainen wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:52 am
kobold wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:23 am
I also noticed. Personally my knife usage goes down in the cold season, and since I am in the EU, the exclusives are mostly out of my reach. More to the point, I have enough knives so I am basically just waiting for the MagnaCut models. In the mean time I am learning about higher end watches.
Ohh. Sorry to hear that. That rabbit hole is deep. Deeper than most pockets.

Thanks! But there is no real danger, I am really just learning what's out there for now. It's interesting.
Microbrands offer the most value, I am not planning a Rolex.

I have enough EDC Seiko 5s, and tool watch Citizens and Casios, TBH, higher end for me is around $2-3k, maybe three "go anywhere, do anything" pieces over the next few years. Not "one and done", but three and done. :-)

Servicing costs can be high, so there is a strong incentive to keep the collection small. Many watches are sold because the owner doesn't want to pay the servicing (shipping them to Switzerland/Germany).
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
PStone

Post by PStone »

Hopweaver wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:51 am
My engagement on the forum is down recently. I don't know if it is me or marketing changes at Spyderco. I haven't been able to put my finger on it. I remember enjoying spending more time in the past discussing/reviewing new models. I also was more concerned with finding the perfect knife (if it does exist) but have slowed my searching after zeroing in on a few models.

Does anyone else feel their forum engagement has dropped off of late?
I can only speak for myself. But your OP is just about exactly how I feel. My activity is def down some lately. And I too can’t quite put my finger on why. Maybe I’m just burntout. Seasonal depression? I’m not sure. I certainly haven’t found the perfect knife (yet). I also haven’t been doing other things I enjoy either. Like day hikes and camping. Only got into my tree stand with my bow once this year so far. Even that isn’t exciting me as much as it should. I suppose I could blame my job. I have had some stresses there too. I dunno.

I would however like to say thank you for making your OP post. It’s given me a lot to think about the last couple days, and has made me recognize some behaviors that are usually signs I’m about to slip up. Thanks to your post, and the train of thought it’s started in my head, I’m actually taking the rest of today, tomorrow, and Monday off work. Gonna get out into the woods and get some clear head time.

Kudos and I hope you find your perfect knife Hopweaver.
kobold

Post by kobold »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:56 am
aicolainen wrote:
kobold wrote:
I also noticed. Personally my knife usage goes down in the cold season, and since I am in the EU, the exclusives are mostly out of my reach. More to the point, I have enough knives so I am basically just waiting for the MagnaCut models. In the mean time I am learning about higher end watches.
Yes it is!! I know a guy at work that over the summer decided to sell his aftermarket wheels/tires that I thought he absolutely loved on his BMW 335i...just to fund for another watch, which I believe he has around 10??

That's a very dangerous hobby, but I can certainly see the appeal. He has some beauties.

OTOH, I would sell a watch to fund the purchase of a mid-sized Native. ;)
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

kobold wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:38 pm
aicolainen wrote:
kobold wrote:

Thanks! But there is no real danger, I am really just learning what's out there for now. It's interesting.
Microbrands offer the most value, I am not planning a Rolex.

I have enough EDC Seiko 5s, and tool watch Citizens and Casios, TBH, higher end for me is around $2-3k, maybe three "go anywhere, do anything" pieces over the next few years. Not "one and done", but three and done. :-)

Servicing costs can be high, so there is a strong incentive to keep the collection small. Many watches are sold because the owner doesn't want to pay the servicing (shipping them to Switzerland/Germany).
I’ve mostly gone the micro brand route myself. My collection got way too big, so I kind of lost the spark. Slightly on the fence concerning the way forward, but I’ll likely end up selling most of it. 3 sounds like a reasonable number. I might aim for something in that neighborhood myself.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

I have the same feeling. I'm from Europe so "dealer exclusives" in supersteel and a different handle colour are unobtainable.

From my experience Spyderco shifted from new exiting models and custom collaborations to rehashing the same model (PM anyone?) in another colour and steel. Apparently my needs for a Spyderco knife (50+ different models iirc) are different then the market needs or wants. I carry my knives way more then i use them so i have no idea what the difference is between VG10 and Maxamet because frankly i don't cut all that much with them....and buying the same model with a slightly different steel and handle colour has no real benefit for me.
Even if i could buy or afford them....
It just feels like instead of having a garage with different types of sportscar models the only option i have now is buying the same carmodel over and over again with a slightly different engine and a new colour shade....
So the whole "this or that US knifeshop has another PM model but now in XYZ12345 and bright peach instead of baby pink" has zero appeal to me.
The fact is i used to be a hardcore Spyderco collector and even felt kinda "guilty" looking at other brands but now the hype created for just another PM is getting bored....
Nobody seems to want to try out a new lock, handle or blade shape. Now every new Spyderco knife looks like the girls on Instagram. They all have the same look just slightly different.

Sad because Spyderco used to be different. They had weird bladeshapes and cutting edge design.
Now the only difference seems to be the colour of the pellets they pour into the injection molding machine.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I will say this, despite engagement being down. And despite me being here for 5 years, discussing many of the same topics over and over. I'm still learning new things. My old opinions have changed. The hobby/lifestyle continues to evolve. Sal, Deadboxhero, Larrin, Bearfacedkiller, EvilD, Vivi, JDSpydo, Sharpguy... I could fill a page with names, you've all expanded my understanding, and helped nudge me in directions I never would have gone in on my own.

There are so many different aspects to knives. Design, Function, Ergonomics, Geometry, Materials, Locks. And Steel. Steel is a rabbit hole of unparalleled depth. From the Chemistry to the Heat Treatment, one could spend a lifetime and still find things to learn.

So don't fear that it's all been said and done. It hasn't. There's things to learn, space to grow, and opinions that change.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
kobold

Post by kobold »

Maybe the postponed reveal also shifted the discourse into a lower gear.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

If the Knife-to-Nonsense ratio drops too low,
serious people visit less frequently.

Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Serious is over rated!

Welcome to the new members. Is it different than it was? Sure. When I started other longer term members had noted the forum had changed. Ever has it been, ever will it be. Same as it ever was? Lots to learn here and you’ll find your favorites. Then it’s about camaraderie more than the new hotness. Besides, it’s all about MagnaCut!
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I have benefited from reading really old threads here about topics that interest me. Something that struck me is that there are members on those old threads with hundreds or thousands of posts, yet I don't see them posting anymore. Nonetheless, I am grateful to them for sharing some insight, tip or nugget of information that has helped me along the way.

Our interest in things and hobbies comes and goes. Many things do not last a lifetime.

I realize that I may become inactive in this forum in the future. I just make it a point to try and contribute meaningfully during my stay here, and enjoy the environment while I'm in it.
James Y

Post by James Y »

The forum is like a microcosm of life. We all come and go, and people come into our lives and go out of it, for various reasons. And that is all fine; it’s life. We can enjoy and grow from the time we spent with them.

Our interests wax and wane. After being passionate about knives for years, I then went several years where I stopped reading about and talking about knives. I still liked carrying them, but I wasn’t interested in reading knife discussions. Then I became interested again, although my passion for it was not to the level it was when I first discovered the internet and knife discussion forums in the late ‘90s.

I’ve also always had other interests, and I still do. And as with knives, my level of interest in those other interests can vary as well, even things that will always be a part of my life. IMO, maintaining an intense interest in something consistently year after year is almost impossible. Especially if you keep approaching it in the same way. Life and one’s interests require periodic changes, when something starts to feel stale or is no longer serving you.

Jim
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

I think all the kids are on Discord now. Whatever that is LOL (I just vaguely know about Discord peripherally from the young people at my workplace... I think it's like a forum, but sort of integrated with social media & SMS/VoIP phone functions? I'm not that old, but I'm definitely a '90's guy, tech-wise). So maybe Spyderco can make an official Discord server to engage younger people?
Nuh Nups

Post by Nuh Nups »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:41 pm
one more thing... i was pretty bummed to see the weekly photo contest due out. i tried to keep it alive, but everyone else seemed to lose interest in favor of posting pics in the "what spyderco is in your pocket today" thread. it is what it is, but that was a big part of what i enjoyed on this forum and i miss it.
I enjoyed this thread as well. I just realized I was the last one to post in it, back on July 1st.
M.N.O.S.D. member 0026
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Funny as I see the Mule forum abuzz when a new drop comes and slowly trickle to crickets with only one or two posting. Then a new drop is announced and it repeats.
(Viewed the general discussion the same with Reveals)

Slowed up on folders and more into fixed blades nowadays so spend most time on Off Topic and the Mule pages.

Know the discussion will kick back up a notch once the discontinued list is posted.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
brj

Post by brj »

For me, it was the abundance of 50/50 choil models that killed most of my enthusiasm. Don't get me wrong, I use my Para 2s, Native Chiefs, Police 4s, etc from time to time but saying that I enjoy using them would be a stretch (pun intended ;) ).

The only choils that still give me joy are the smaller ones (Military, Para 1) and this runs contrary to what the majority desires. It also seems I have gravitated towards more handle-agnostic models and Spyderco's offering simply has nothing of interest to me at this moment. No new Militaries, no larger brethren of Ikuchi (as alluded to a couple of years back), no new/fresh designs (to my eyes, anyway). Additionally, I've been on an OTF binge lately, might also have something to do. I still read the forum occasionally and only post in those threads where I feel I can add something. On the other hand, I use daily my Spyderco kitchen knives, this might count for something :cheap-sunglasses
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ramonade wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:21 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:12 am
@bearfacedkiller : Totally with you on that. It is the time for one-way discussions apparently :squinting-tongue . Social media is more of an ego-centered way of communication, forums were and still are a good way to actually talk online.

Thanks @JRinFL. Google led me to this forum before, many times, it's fitting that we could use it's "power" to research something on the forum. I'll try this method before any topic now !

Robin

I have literally no idea of stuff like facebook, instagram, whatever - never been there (ok, facebook two ore three times looking at some pics when this was possible for a non registered guy). I may be oldschool, but I don´t feel like I´d be missing much.

This forum actually is the only place on the internet I am active on. Probably the reason why I post that much here - I don´t have to invest any time to any other forum or social media platform.
Thus I actually post TOO much here - despite not having the level of knowledge and experience of many of the long term members (or also new members in many cases) here. Still I try to be helpful when I can and to find topics that might be of interest for others too (and I actually try to post less... :smirk )

I think this forum certainly has more to offer for me than "just" talking about Spyderco (which is of course great in itself, since I literally have no one in my "real life" who´d have any understanding for this hobby):

- It is fascinating and my only current option to communicate with people all over the world, and especially from the US. It might sound a bit exaggerated, but I do think that an international forum like this, where people pretty much always discuss in a modest and constructive manner, can contribute a tiny bit to "making the world a better place" - just by helping people to realize that we´re really not that different, regardless where one might live. To give a broader, closer, more realistic, less prejudiced picture of other parts of the world.

- And, admittedly: It is a good thing to getting to "talk" (communicate) in a foreign language, and especially in English.
In my case this is the only chance I have to do this, and improving in English is a really good thing.
While like 30 years ago I would have said it is best to learn several foreign languages to some degree, nowadays I think practically speaking it is better to get sufficient in English. Due to youtube, social media and so on English really gets more and more a "worldwide language", especially among younger people.

@ Ramonade: Certainly not a bad thing to google for if there is a thread already on a certain topic.
But I think in many cases it is still better to start a new thread then.
- I think on MOST topics there will be a thread already (except of course concerning brand new models), and always just reviving those old threads would lead to a forum with rather few, but monster (in length...) threads. Not very convenient.
- Also, if you find what you´re asking for answered already in an old thread and thus don´t start a new one on the topic: People who are just reading through this forum might miss out on interesting or helpful information, which a newly started thread would have been able to give them. Or a newly started thread might spark some interesting discussion.
True for "just lurkers", but also active forum members.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

brj wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:50 pm
For me, it was the abundance of 50/50 choil models that killed most of my enthusiasm. Don't get me wrong, I use my Para 2s, Native Chiefs, Police 4s, etc from time to time but saying that I enjoy using them would be a stretch (pun intended ;) ).

The only choils that still give me joy are the smaller ones (Military, Para 1) and this runs contrary to what the majority desires.....

I am on board, I prefer more "minimal" choils (Millie, Stretch 1...) too. (Though I still enjoy the "larger choiled" Manix LW and old FRN Native, but more as "an exception from the (my) rule").

I am "afraid" (only concerning my personal preferences) that the rumored Millie 2 will also have the wider PM2-ish choil (and its comp.lock) - and so another "minimal choil" option (and linerlock Spydie..) will be in danger to disappear eventually...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:49 am

[...]

- It is fascinating and my only current option to communicate with people all over the world, and especially from the US. It might sound a bit exaggerated, but I do think that an international forum like this, where people pretty much always discuss in a modest and constructive manner, can contribute a tiny bit to "making the world a better place" - just by helping people to realize that we´re really not that different, regardless where one might live. To give a broader, closer, more realistic, less prejudiced picture of other parts of the world.
+1 : It's hard to find "preserved" places of discussion on Internet, and this forum seems to be one .
- And, admittedly: It is a good thing to getting to "talk" (communicate) in a foreign language, and especially in English.
In my case this is the only chance I have to do this, and improving in English is a really good thing.
While like 30 years ago I would have said it is best to learn several foreign languages to some degree, nowadays I think practically speaking it is better to get sufficient in English. Due to youtube, social media and so on English really gets more and more a "worldwide language", especially among younger people.
I'm in the exact same situation as you. I practice my english here and maybe on Youtube lives of people like Michael Emler, Jerad Neeves... Otherwise, it has always been a practice by listening to moves and shows in english, or the rare occasions I have to speak with people that use the english language.
@ Ramonade: Certainly not a bad thing to google for if there is a thread already on a certain topic.
But I think in many cases it is still better to start a new thread then.
- I think on MOST topics there will be a thread already (except of course concerning brand new models), and always just reviving those old threads would lead to a forum with rather few, but monster (in length...) threads. Not very convenient.
- Also, if you find what you´re asking for answered already in an old thread and thus don´t start a new one on the topic: People who are just reading through this forum might miss out on interesting or helpful information, which a newly started thread would have been able to give them. Or a newly started thread might spark some interesting discussion.
True for "just lurkers", but also active forum members.
True, + some people said to not "resurrect" some old threads (even though I think it was more aimed at pointless and controversial threads :')). Being on the same topic, but having a new question is a good reason imho to start a new thread.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

standy99 wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:10 pm
Funny as I see the Mule forum abuzz when a new drop comes and slowly trickle to crickets with only one or two posting. Then a new drop is announced and it repeats.
I've noticed this as well. So many people saying they can't wait to get theirs, and then post they get it....then we hear nothing, and even worse many people buying multiples when the opportunity is there.

I thought the whole point of the Mule program was to report back any feedback you have on use/sharpening so Sal and Co. can collect the info and helps them make decisions going forward? Big letdown every time, because I get excited to see the results as well! (Thank you to those of you that do report back!)
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:48 am
standy99 wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:10 pm
I've noticed this as well. So many people saying they can't wait to get theirs, and then post they get it....then we hear nothing, and even worse many people buying multiples when the opportunity is there.

I thought the whole point of the Mule program was to report back any feedback you have on use/sharpening so Sal and Co. can collect the info and helps them make decisions going forward? Big letdown every time, because I get excited to see the results as well! (Thank you to those of you that do report back!)
(Firstly, question to all, but especially to non US forum members: Do you know how hard/easy it is to obtain mules for folks outside the US? Only possible through the SFO? (Guess I´ll ask this in the Mule sub forum too))

/ Rick, I could imagine (but can´t know for sure of course) that with Mules it is a bit like it seemingly often is with sprint runs and/or more expensive Spydies: People want these, buy these, but if at all just carry such knives, but never really USE them. Especially not in a manner that could give enough info for a good feedback and comparison to other models / steels?

So a large part might end up as collector pieces or even investment / store of value?!