Endela vs Endura4

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Endela vs Endura4

Post by elena86 »

I should open with a statement ... I like the Endela more. I was very happy when it was released because as much as I like and use my Delicas I sometimes found myself needing more blade and I allways felt that the Endura4 is too large.That being said I loooved the Endura1,2,3 but not the Endura4. I hope you guessed it, the elephant in the room is the Endura4 style handle. Handle aside, I even like the Endela's blade more with that pronounced belly and the fact that it's slightly wider. Those being said, when they released the blue K390 lightweights I heard people raving about the k390 Endura and I was reckless enough to watch a few YT reviews... well, that slender Endura4 blade started to grow on me. I remembered I own one, just one Endura4, which I bought because it was in the laminated Superblue steel and I love that steel. I dug into my collection and there it was. Never used and never carried. I handled it for a while and something clicked but that handle, oh it's so difficult for me to like that handle. Feel free to share your thoughts on why you favor one over the other... or not. Comparative pictures would be appreciated.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Re: Endela vs Endura4

Post by Wartstein »

More and comparison pics when I get home, but a few points right now:

- Funny that you do like the Endela handle, but not the Endura handle... they are REALLY close in shape and ergos, the Endela handle has just a bit mellowed out "points" between the finger grooves and is just a hair wider because of that (of course the Endura handle is longer, but that last part of the handle rarely ever gets used I guess).
That being said: I also slightly prefer the Endela handle, but don't actually feel a whole world of difference.

- I am pretty sure the Endela blade is not actually wider, it just looks like that cause it's shorter than the Endura blade (but of the same width)

- i do prefer the more compact carry of the Endela, the blade/cutting is short enough though (just a tad more edge than a Manix) to limit the versatility of the Endela. A bit sad, cause there'd be quite some space left in the handle for a longer blade (if the blade was as long as possible, the Endela could actually become my most carried folder).

- The Endela for me is certainly the best looking /best proportioned knife (just concerning the optics!) of the Endura family.

- Biggest advantage of the Endela over the Endura for me: Can be had in the combo ffg/SE/VG10...

- Overall, if I had to choose: Endura, no doubt,but mainly just because of the clearly longer edge.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:52 am

- Funny that you do like the Endela handle, but not the Endura handle... they are REALLY close in shape and ergos, the Endela handle has just a bit mellowed out "points" between the finger grooves and is just a hair wider because of that ......

- I am pretty sure the Endela blade is not actually wider, it just looks like that cause it's shorter than the Endura blade (but of the same width)

- Nothing ''funny'', just tactile and visual, in liking the Endela handle more , the key words are ''mellowed'' points - it feels better in hand plus the fact that it's wider and slightly shorter and rounded to the but.

- You have the right to be wrong :winking-tongue . Endela blade IS wider once you align the blades, spine over spine... from the ricasso 3 cm up the Endela blade is 2mm wider. Slightly wider you might say but when you digg into material it feels.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

rak2

Post by rak2 »

elena86,

If the finger points on the endura handle are uncomfortable, consider taking a fine grit sandpaper to them. Even taking your time, it will likely only take a minute or so to change the tactile feel significantly. Did this with my FRN Endura and am now conflicted on whether I favor the Endura or Endela handle.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Wartstein wrote:

- Funny that you do like the Endela handle, but not the Endura handle... they are REALLY close in shape and ergos, the Endela handle has just a bit mellowed out "points" between the finger grooves and is just a hair wider because of that (of course the Endura handle is longer, but that last part of the handle rarely ever gets used I guess).
That being said: I also slightly prefer the Endela handle, but don't actually feel a whole world of difference.
There's enough of a difference that I find the Endela handle "fits" my hand while the Endura 4 (and thus also the Pacific Salt 2) is merely "usable."
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

elena86 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:02 am
Wartstein wrote:

- Funny that you do like the Endela handle, but not the Endura handle... they are REALLY close in shape and ergos, the Endela handle has just a bit mellowed out "points" between the finger grooves and is just a hair wider because of that ......

- Nothing ''funny'', just tactile and visual, in liking the Endela handle more , the key words are ''mellowed'' points - it feels better in hand plus the fact that it's wider and slightly shorter and rounded to the but.

- You have the right to be wrong :winking-tongue . Endela blade IS wider once you align the blades, spine over spine... from the ricasso 3 cm up the Endela blade is 2mm wider. Slightly wider you might say but when you digg into material it feels.
- Didn't mean "funny" in an offensive way of course, sorry should it have sounded like that!
Actually I started a thread about the mellowed out "points" before the Endela was even released, just pics existed (see here
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83743&p=1326223&hil ... a#p1326223), but then found the difference between the Endura and Endela handle just barely noticeable myself.

- This does surprise me indeed! I measured the two blades some time ago myself, and my result was: Same width... :thinking
Perhaps I measured right AT the ricasso or made some mistake??
Will check when at home!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
FK

Post by FK »

If the Endela (0.118") was designed with a blade thickness identical to the Delica 4 (0.098"),,,, it would be a winner to me.
Since the blade thickness is almost identical to the Endura 4 (0.125"),,,,, not interested.

The uncomfortable handle design for a very few people, on the Endura 4 has been discussed for many years on this forum.
It is fine for my hands and I do enjoy the Endura 4 daily along with the Delica 4,,,, carry two knives? The Delica 4 in K390 for precision slicing and the Endura 4 in CPM-20CV for food cutting.

One knife with 3" cutting edge,,,, my choice is Stretch 1 or 2 over the Endela,,, identical blade thickness and most comfortable handle in the FRN family.

Regards,
FK
Manifestgtr

Re: Endela vs Endura

Post by Manifestgtr »

I consider the Endela to be more of a stout, medium duty folder…with the endura being a long slicer.

As far as handles go, they’re about on par with eachother for me at least. The one thing my main carry endura has an advantage with is its micarta/deep carry clip. For certain knives (endura and shaman for me) that combo REALLY opens up the ergonomics. My endura and z-wear shaman have exactly no hot spots. Those are my “save in a house fire situation” knives and that’s a big part of it.
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

FK wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:32 am
If the Endela (0.118") was designed with a blade thickness identical to the Delica 4 (0.098"),,,, it would be a winner to me.
Since the blade thickness is almost identical to the Endura 4 (0.125"),,,,, not interested.

The uncomfortable handle design for a very few people, on the Endura 4 has been discussed for many years on this forum.
It is fine for my hands and I do enjoy the Endura 4 daily along with the Delica 4,,,, carry two knives? The Delica 4 in K390 for precision slicing and the Endura 4 in CPM-20CV for food cutting.

One knife with 3" cutting edge,,,, my choice is Stretch 1 or 2 over the Endela,,, identical blade thickness and most comfortable handle in the FRN family.

Interesting points!

- Said it before: Yes, the one thing I would really like to have been transferred from Delica to Endela actually is the 2.50mm blade stock (instead of the 3.00 mm) - easily strong enough, but just a better foundation for making it a real slicer.
At least it does not have the 3.7 mm of the PM2 family.

- In my hands (L to XL) both Delica and especially Endura feel very comfortable and I can´t replicate the issues some obviously have! I don´t mind the "points" at all, even if one finger sits right on such a "point". Actually the finger grooves make the knife more stable in hand concerning "rolling" (see an interesting Sal quote on this here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83743&p=1326223&hil ... a#p1326225)

- I like both the Stretch and Endela ergos - pretty different, but both great in a different way for me... the pro of the Endela over the Stretch for me: Endela is lighter (almost like a Manix 2 LW), a slimmer carry, and the actual handle offers more space while placing the hand closer to the edge than the actual (FRN) Stretch handle. And for me the Endela ricasso still offers a perfect spot for choking up on.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

elena86 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Sorry, mate, but it´s actually like I said, at least with my Enduras and Endela:
The Endela blade is NOT wider than the Endura blade, at no point (and TWO mm wider just 3 cm up the ricasso as you said would be a lot!)

- Exact same width at the ricassos
- From there on the Endela blade starts to be VERY subtly less wide than the Endura blade, since the Endela spine is sloping downwards in a steeper angle due to the (compared to the Endura) shorter blade.
- Remark: My Endela is the SE version, this might make a slight difference compared to the PE version. BUT: I measured the width always at the widest part (so at a very "point" of the teeth)

I measured at various points, below as an example about 4.5 cm from the ricassos: Here the EndURa blade is about 1mm wider already:

(Click on images to enlarge - perhaps open 1 and 2 and then look at them alternating - should prove my point I guess)

Pic 1: Endura:
Pic 2: Endela
Pic 3: Blades aligned (Endela on top)

James Y

Post by James Y »

I like both the Endela and the Endura 4.

That said, my Endela is in SE, and it cuts like a laser. It doesn’t matter that its blade thickness is the same as the Endura’s.

In terms of in-hand comfort, that bump on the E4’s handle never bothered me, nor had I ever even thought of it, until I started seeing people on the forum saying it bothered them. And the Endela’s finger bump is even a bit less pronounced.

But as far as overall design, I can’t really say if I like one over the other. They’re both great models.

Jim
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

James Y wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:35 pm

That said, my Endela is in SE, and it cuts like a laser. It doesn’t matter that its blade thickness is the same as the Endura’s.

In terms of in-hand comfort, that bump on the E4’s handle never bothered me, nor had I ever even thought of it, until I started seeing people on the forum saying it bothered them. And the Endela’s finger bump is even a bit less pronounced.

But as far as overall design, I can’t really say if I like one over the other. They’re both great models.

Jim

You know that I know what you´re talking about... ;)

The way the serrations are done on the VG10 Endela is probably the best thing with this model (wonder if the serration pattern is the same on the K390 version?)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:15 pm
elena86 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Sorry, mate, but it´s actually like I said, at least with my Enduras and Endela:
The Endela blade is NOT wider than the Endura blade, at no point (and TWO mm wider just 3 cm up the ricasso as you said would be a lot!)

- From there on the Endela blade starts to be VERY subtly less wide than the Endura blade, since the Endela spine is sloping downwards in a steeper angle due to the (compared to the Endura) shorter blade.
- Remark: My Endela is the SE version, this might make a slight difference compared to the PE version. BUT: I measured the width always at the widest part (so at a very "point" of the teeth)

I measured at various points, below as an example about 4.5 cm from the ricassos: Here the EndURa blade is about 1mm wider already:

(Click on images to enlarge - perhaps open 1 and 2 and then look at them alternating - should prove my point I guess)

I double checked with a VG10 and a K390 Endela both in plain edge and I am right... both are 2mm wider from heel slightly above the ricasso(where the cutting bevel begins) , up to around 3 cm .Your Endela is serrated and that might trick the eye plus you need to perfectly ALIGN the spines. Just looking at your third imagine one could see that the spines are NOT ALIGNED, you tilted the spine of the Endela to prove your point. Enough said... mate.
Marius

( Rabindranath Tagore )

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

elena86 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:53 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:15 pm
elena86 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

I double checked with a VG10 and a K390 Endela both in plain edge and I am right... both are 2mm wider from heel slightly above the ricasso(where the cutting bevel begins) , up to around 3 cm .Your Endela is serrated and that might trick the eye plus you need to perfectly ALIGN the spines. Just looking at your third imagine one could see that the spines are NOT ALIGNED, you tilted the spine of the Endela to prove your point. Enough said... mate.
Sounds a bit like you're taking this a bit personal? If so, it is really not meant like that, I don't care at all if I am right ot wrong here. Just am interested in the two models.

And no,my SE Endela does not "trick the eye".
Look at the pics where I measure both blades with a ruler, both 4.5 mm from the ricasso: On the Endela I start to measure at the widest point there, so the very tip of a "tooth". No "tricking the eye", but cold,hard numbers....

I really don't know why you think I'd "tilt the blade to prove my point??"
I aligned the cutting edges perfectly well and so the spines show that the Endela gets narrower than the Endura over the length of the blades.

Sure, the SE Endela generally might have a narrower blade than the PE version (would be weird though, but can't rule that out).
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

Wow..

I clicked on this thread having NO idea it’d be saturated with so much drama. It’s making me frisky truth be told.

Let’s just agree the Endura is superior because it’s more well-suited for a giant like yours truly.

:)
Last edited by TheGiant80 on Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:44 pm
James Y wrote:

Jim

The way the serrations are done on the VG10 Endela is probably the best thing with this model (wonder if the serration pattern is the same on the K390 version?)
An Endura in FFG SE would tempt me sorely. I agree that the serrations on the SE Endela are the best out-of-the-box SE geometry I’ve ever used. The SE Caribbean runs a close second.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:00 pm
Wow..

I clicked on this thread having NO idea it’d be saturated with so much drama. It’s making my frisky truth be told.

Let’s just agree the Endura is superior because it’s more well-suited for a giant like yours truly.

:)

No drama, my friend. ;)

Just different results when measuring the knives, which happen to be two of my favorites!

If the PE Endela indeed has a 2mm wider blade right from the ricasso till 3cm (1.2 inch) down the blade, this would actually be great! (Perhaps some more folks could measure and compare Endela and Endura blades at this points?)

The SE Endela though is not wider at the ricasso than the PE Endura and gradually gets slightly narrower over the length of the blade.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bill1170 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:42 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:44 pm
James Y wrote:

An Endura in FFG SE would tempt me sorely. I agree that the serrations on the SE Endela are the best out-of-the-box SE geometry I’ve ever used. The SE Caribbean runs a close second.

Well, you could get the K390 SE Endura, it comes in ffg.
I personally though want one (SE and ffg) in VG10... the thin red/blue line Endura is the closest to that, comes in combo edge.
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

Bill1170 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:42 pm
An Endura in FFG SE would tempt me sorely.
I currently have a serrated wharncliffe Endura in transit. It’s FFG and from everything I’ve read, it cuts like a monster!
Last edited by TheGiant80 on Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:05 pm
No drama, my friend. ;)

Just different results when measuring the knives, which happen to be two of my favorites!
Fair enough. Happy to hear it!