Dragonfly/Ladybug hawkbill black FRN?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
max808

Dragonfly/Ladybug hawkbill black FRN?

Post by max808 »

Good morning/afternoon/evening,

Been looking for a dragonfly hawkbill for a while, also a manbug and a ladybug hawkbill, the only catch is the FRN should be black (no dye) and have screw construction and those appear non-existent.

Are there any available on here or would someone be prepared to frankenstein me a set? Not up to date on small spydies and which handles fit which blades but have read accounts of knowledgeable people who frequent these forums and have done just that. Steel preferably H-1 but VG-10 is more than acceptable. Serrations are a must :)

Thank you all in advance, reddit is a mistery to me so unfortunately don't have access to that resource. If anyone decides to take me up on this offer they will receive a generous donation in their PayPal account of choice. Have a good one y'all!

Max

Edited to adjust the title
Last edited by max808 on Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
z1r

Re: Dragonfly/Manbug/Ladybug hawkbill black FRN?

Post by z1r »

I'm no expert either but I think the DF2 and Lady bug Hawkbills are only offered in H1 & Yellow FRN. Except maybe the USN model.

I have a drawer full of Ladybug Hawkbills. From what I'm told, you could but a Black FRN version and swap scales. Same for the DF2.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

There is no manbug hawkbill.

All frn dragonflys, ladybugs, and manbugs are currently screw construction.

You can buy a yellow one and use RIT dye to dye it black.

Or you can buy a yellow hawkbill and a black "regular" one and do a blade swap.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
z1r

Post by z1r »

VooDooChild wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:25 am

Yeah, my Manbug is the sheeps foot or Rescue style blade.

I have one Hawkbill LB that has scales that are much more pale than all my others. Was thinking of rit dying it, but I may just swap out the scales with one of the several Purple scale examples I have. That might be nice, a purple Hawkbill.
max808

Post by max808 »

z1r wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:56 am
VooDooChild wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:25 am

Yeah, my Manbug is the sheeps foot or Rescue style blade.

I have one Hawkbill LB that has scales that are much more pale than all my others. Was thinking of rit dying it, but I may just swap out the scales with one of the several Purple scale examples I have. That might be nice, a purple Hawkbill.
Thank you for the clarification, so that leaves a dragonfly and a ladybug. Would you be prepared to make me one of yours with black FRN scales? I will more than cover your cost including donor knives and manhours. Any remaining parts are yours, I just need me a lil hawkbill cuz these guys is getting lonely...
spyderhawktasman.jpg
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
ZrowsN1s

Re: Dragonfly/Ladybug hawkbill black FRN?

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Would love to see an all black Hawkbill Dfly. Such a great knife.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
max808

Post by max808 »

So the elusive black FRN ladybug hawkbill does exist after all...

LBKS3HB

Here is proof!
IMG_20220115_103456.jpg
The guy in the video said 12 years ago it was starting to get rare... :sleeping
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

just get the ladyhawk and leave it yellow. it'll go nicely with the black and orange you already have. and that hi vis yellow is nice on such a small knife.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

If you do a blade swap, I think you need to keep the bar and blade that go together during the swap.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

max808 wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:08 am
So the elusive black FRN ladybug hawkbill does exist after all...

LBKS3HB

Here is proof!

IMG_20220115_103456.jpg

The guy in the video said 12 years ago it was starting to get rare... :sleeping
I thought this one was a regular production model for a while but according to Spydiewiki, it was a sprint run in 2009. I remember seeing them available for years after that, so it never crossed my mind that it was a sprint run.

Regardless, any chance I get to beg Spyderco for an all black Ladybug Hawkbill in regular production, I will take!

Please Spyderco, lets make an all black Ladybug Hawkbill happen!

-Nick :bug-red
max808

Post by max808 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:22 am
just get the ladyhawk and leave it yellow. it'll go nicely with the black and orange you already have. and that hi vis yellow is nice on such a small knife.
Thanks for the advice but that yellow just hurts my brain too much... also got a lead on a couple of donors. Ladybug being the smallest locking folder in the Spydie family I figured it's the best way to get started on my journey of disassembly and more importantly reassembly. That would only leave dragonfly and lil matriarch slots unfilled in my modest hawkbill collection
(strictly for historical purposes obviously) :winking-tongue
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

If you do end up dyeing a new lady bug at least the hardware and lock bar is black now. So you can make yourself an all black handle. Doesn't get you a black blade, but it's close.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
max808

Post by max808 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:51 am
If you do end up dyeing a new lady bug at least the hardware and lock bar is black now. So you can make yourself an all black handle. Doesn't get you a black blade, but it's close.
Yellow ladyhawk en route, though the packshot still showed silver hardware I got a pretty sweet deal considering we live in Europaland. Next is a black FRN one and then I can Frankenstein my own LBKS3HB, with a H-1 blade ánd Torx screws... :winking-tongue
and I would think H-1 backlock and spring too?

That gorgeous brushed steel always wins vs dlc in my honest opinion.
max808

Post by max808 »

Ladyhawks must have excellent cruising speed as it arrived early this morning. Shout out to my man in Amsterdam and post.nl for being such reliable partners and once permission is granted will post a link for all our Euro brethren interested in a premium Spyderco supplier.

Here's a quick familyshot before the makeover... :winking-tongue
familyshot001.jpg
max808

Post by max808 »

So let me get this straight... it flicks (or goes flying), it locks tight as a seki backlock should, it has no vertical or lateral play (on my stiff pivot setting), it fits in líterally 😄 every pocket ánd it doesn't rust?!? Yes please, may I have another?
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

max808 wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:12 am
So let me get this straight... it flicks (or goes flying), it locks tight as a seki backlock should, it has no vertical or lateral play (on my stiff pivot setting), it fits in líterally 😄 every pocket ánd it doesn't rust?!? Yes please, may I have another?
there's a reason so many people love the ladyhawk. it's almost the same cutting edge as a dragonfly, but much smaller. it cuts well above its size and weight class. it's a tiny little monster.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
max808

Post by max808 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:44 am
max808 wrote:
there's a reason so many people love the ladyhawk. it's almost the same cutting edge as a dragonfly, but much smaller. it cuts well above its size and weight class. it's a tiny little monster.
It sure is, my buddy came over today and of course I had to show off my ladyhawk and he looked impressed, even called it a mystic blade. 😄 It tends to get ahold of you as you're handling it, which I have done a lot of last couple days. Like many people say tho, it's a lil small for one hand deployment and my ladyhawk actually flew across the living room yesterday... 😁
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:49 am
Why this isn't in the next reveal is beyond my understanding :thinking
MNOSD member 0011
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

max808 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:31 am
ladybug93 wrote:
max808 wrote:
It sure is, my buddy came over today and of course I had to show off my ladyhawk and he looked impressed, even called it a mystic blade. 😄 It tends to get ahold of you as you're handling it, which I have done a lot of last couple days. Like many people say tho, it's a lil small for one hand deployment and my ladyhawk actually flew across the living room yesterday... 😁
i've never dropped mine and i can open it with one hand, but i have been bit by it. i didn't realize that ladybugs bite, but i guess salty ladyhawks are a different story.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
max808

Post by max808 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:24 am
max808 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:31 am
ladybug93 wrote:
max808 wrote:
i've never dropped mine and i can open it with one hand, but i have been bit by it. i didn't realize that ladybugs bite, but i guess salty ladyhawks are a different story.
I imagine you got bit on the palm while one hand opening it but not enough so it snapped back? Happened a couple times but no blood yet. The ergonomics are not perfect for my hands but it sure is salty.