Dragonfly/Ladybug hawkbill black FRN?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
olywa

Re: Dragonfly/Ladybug hawkbill black FRN?

Post by olywa »

A small paracord lanyard with a bead or knot that can drop between your ring finger and pinky really helps to anchor these little buggers in hand and aid in one-hand deployment. Also helps to fish them out of your fifth jeans pocket.
max808

Post by max808 »

olywa wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:12 am
A small paracord lanyard with a bead or knot that can drop between your ring finger and pinky really helps to anchor these little buggers in hand and aid in one-hand deployment. Also helps to fish them out of your fifth jeans pocket.
Thanks for the tip olywa. Maybe I'll try to make a lil monkeyfist lanyard but for now the ladyhawk is relegated to fidget duties to practice my dexterity. Never liked the idea of a loose knife in my pockets.
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
max808

Post by max808 »

Still waiting on my favorite supplier to restock their LBKS3. One thing I've noticed is the ladyhawk slices heavy tape even better than a tasman, probably on account of the more pronounced tip. Will have to find a way to fit it into my edc when it finally transforms into a LBKS3HB...
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
max808

Post by max808 »

That black ladybug finally made it to my humble abode and what I figured would be a 5 minute walk in the park turned out to be a grueling hour long trek to **** and back. The result is a black FRN ladyhawk that's as tight and solid as my decade old civilian, which I'm guessing most people couldn't open one handed, let alone flick or middle finger, whatever that's about. :winking-tongue

The yellow fully serrated VG-10 offspring is much more forgiving and should serve my moms well in her knitting endeavors, and my goodness does it slice straight out the box. Did some test cuts on rather thin paper and literally all it took was gravity and no effort whatsoever to make perfect cuts. Very impressive and way too capable to gift my niece for her 15th birthday that's coming up. Date code on the LBKS3 is CV so March 2022 if my math is correct, which could explain why there were some small differences with the donor LYLS3HB, which says HS on the box so manufactured in August of 2019.

Things I learned from this lil grail project:

- Ladybugs are tiny and the hardware is even tinier.

- If your sight is not 20/20 make sure you have a magnifying glass on hand to line up the flat notch on the receiving bolt of the pivot.

- Keep the washers with the rounded side pointed outward.

- As mentioned by several people before, be sure to change out the lockbar with the blade, especially if the blade shapes are different and I would think even the spring, which could explain the difference in smoothness.

- A small strap is optional but does make lining up the pivot a lot easier by keeping the lockbar in place, with the spring on my specimen surprisingly strong.

- Try to match production dates as closely as possible cuz there are tiny variations.

- A magnetic torx driver would've been a force multiplier, which I'm not sure Wiha makes one.

- Spyderco tolerances and build quality are exceptional, even on their smallest budget offerings.

- Finally, be patient and instead of cussing like a drunken sailor, take a sip and try again, and again and again... because failure is not an option.

It's too dark to take pictures right now but will post an updated family shot first thing in the morning. Next up is the dragonhawk so stay tuned for that folks. Have a good one y'all!
max808

Post by max808 »

Another gorgeous spring day over here, perfect for pics. Behold the elusive LBKS3HB with H-1 blade ánd screw construction... :cheap-sunglasses
familyshot002.jpg
familyshot003.jpg
familyshot004.jpg
familyshot005.jpg
max808

Post by max808 »

Basking in all its glory...
LBKS3HB001.jpg
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Very nice.
max808

Post by max808 »

cabfrank wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 8:19 am
Very nice.
Thank you Sir, you seem to be the only one who thinks so. Had anticipated a bit more traction on a $150 ladybug, with SE/HB/color bias being hotly debated topics on here but quite frowned upon by the silent majority I guess.
max808

Post by max808 »

One more familyshot for good measure...
familyshot007.jpg
If only that Spyderhawk were available in black FRN ánd a nice lil hallmark on it... :cheap-sunglasses
max808

Post by max808 »

No G-10 MagnaCut Spyderhawk as of yet but that Dragonhawk landed on my doorstep this morning, well ahead of its expected time of arrival. Once again I humbly salute post.nl and kato for their consistently reliable service. Much obliged and a pleasure to do business with y'all. Up next is a groupshot before the makeover...

That carbon fiber dress that's still available in limited quantities sure looks fancy but my wallet just had a stroke!
:respect :bug-red :respect
max808

Post by max808 »

Here's my soon to become C28SBK2HB in that hideous yellow dress she came in... can't wait to go shopping for a lil black dress soon!
ladyhawkdragonhawktasman001.jpg
max808

Post by max808 »

C28SCF2HB production prototype coming soon...
:cheap-sunglasses
max808

Post by max808 »

After that lil black dress arrived from Germany last week, I spent nearly half the day today revamping and finetuning my Dragonhawk to the point where it's rocksolid yet dropshut, courtesy of a lil Ballistol. Not entirely convinced of Cuscadi's fit but the finish is flawless. Will take some pictures in the morning for your most noble consideration.
:respect :usflag :respect
max808

Post by max808 »

In case Sal & Co. are looking for a quick lil sprint, I humbly submit this C28SCF2HB Dragonhawk. Only thing I don't like about it is the black OEM hardware, which seems to scuff very easily. Other than that, this will be my fifth pocket accessory for years to come...
c28scf2hb001.jpg
c28scf2hb002.jpg
c28scf2hb003.jpg
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

max808 wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:53 pm
In case Sal & Co. are looking for a quick lil sprint, I humbly submit this C28SCF2HB Dragonhawk. Only thing I don't like about it is the black OEM hardware, which seems to scuff very easily. Other than that, this will be my fifth pocket accessory for years to come...

c28scf2hb001.jpg

c28scf2hb002.jpg

c28scf2hb003.jpg
I've been trying to talk them into a hawkbill dragonfly sprint in g-10 or CF for a long time. You got my vote. PE K390, S90V, 4V, 15V, something with a lot of V's. But I'll take what I can get.

As of this week I'm once again doing field work in the great corporate jungle. Manbugs, Ladybugs, Jesters, and Dragonflys are going to be my 9-5 carry for a while again. Carried my hawkbill ladybug today. Just ordered a K390 Manbug, and Wharncliffe Manbug.

Felt weird not having my P'kal or my Police4 on me.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
max808

Post by max808 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:44 pm
max808 wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:53 pm

c28scf2hb001.jpg

c28scf2hb002.jpg

c28scf2hb003.jpg
I've been trying to talk them into a hawkbill dragonfly sprint in g-10 or CF for a long time. You got my vote. PE K390, S90V, 4V, 15V, something with a lot of V's. But I'll take what I can get.

As of this week I'm once again doing field work in the great corporate jungle. Manbugs, Ladybugs, Jesters, and Dragonflys are going to be my 9-5 carry for a while again. Carried my hawkbill ladybug today. Just ordered a K390 Manbug, and Wharncliffe Manbug.

Felt weird not having my P'kal or my Police4 on me.
Thanks for the vote of confidence Sir. I hope our dreams come true one day (not the zombie apocalypse ones though). A production/sprint run of these is about the only thing that could displace it from my edc. I forgot to thank Cuscadi for his excellent service and flawless finish and probably mistook his near perfect fit for my less than perfect assembly skills. Stay safe out there in the ruthless jungles of corporate America.
max808

Post by max808 »

Does anyone know if the pivot washers on these dragonfly got bigger with recent cqi? Mine is from August 2021 and had black hardware, not sure what coating but it's not very durable in my experience.
c28scf2hbpivotwasheroo1.jpg
c28scf2hbpivot002.jpg
[
max808

Post by max808 »

Tough crowd eh... I think I'll go cry myself to sleep now.
:cheap-sunglasses
max808

Post by max808 »

Been looking for a blank steel hardware set + clip for this Dragonhawk, alas to no avail. Anyone know where these can be got? Titanium is fine too but OEM is preferred. Thanks in advance.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

max808 wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:20 pm
Does anyone know if the pivot washers on these dragonfly got bigger with recent cqi? Mine is from August 2021 and had black hardware, not sure what coating but it's not very durable in my experience.

c28scf2hbpivotwasheroo1.jpg

c28scf2hbpivot002.jpg[
I think SG 89 ran in to the same coating issue on a Salt she gifted to her father. It was flaking off right out of the box.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001