I'm dumb and broke my Para 3 lightweight

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rouleur

I'm dumb and broke my Para 3 lightweight

Post by rouleur »

Just got my Para 3 lightweight today and I was excited to put my Lynch clip on it. I previously had it on my Dragonfly and noticed it felt a bit loose unless I really cranked on the clip screw. I guess I got a little overzealous when installing it on the Para 3 and I thought I stripped it at first, but now I realize that I rounded the D-shaped hole in the scales and the chicago screw is just spinning in the hole. Not only it is going to be a bear to get out, but if I do I don't know how I'll be able to ever get it tight again. If anyone has any ideas, I'd be greatly appreciative. Thanks.
Michael Janich

Re: I'm dumb and broke my Para 3 lightweight

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear rouleur:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

rouleur wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:39 am
Just got my Para 3 lightweight today and I was excited to put my Lynch clip on it. I previously had it on my Dragonfly and noticed it felt a bit loose unless I really cranked on the clip screw. I guess I got a little overzealous when installing it on the Para 3 and I thought I stripped it at first, but now I realize that I rounded the D-shaped hole in the scales and the chicago screw is just spinning in the hole. Not only it is going to be a bear to get out, but if I do I don't know how I'll be able to ever get it tight again. If anyone has any ideas, I'd be greatly appreciative. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum!

If you are not planning to remove the clip anymore: Perhaps you could fill that one ruined hole with glue and than put the screw in as well as possible? After all there should be another two perfectly functioning screws left? (Most likely just two screws would be enough to hold the clip decent enough anyway)

EDIT: I missed the part were you said that actually first you´ll have to get the screw out again...
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Leksy

Post by Leksy »

Well, just to brainstorm a bit, some ideas

1) Place a piece of thick double-sided tape (like a "3M outdoor heavy duty") on a flat surface, then put the scales on a surface, so that flat screw head lies on that tape. If you apply pressure on the scales while tightening the screw, it can be enough to put sufficient torque. Then get rid of tape, (scratch it out, and the remains can be removed with solvent).

2) use the dremel or small file to make a straight spline on that screw head. Use flat screwdriver to hold it in place, tight the screw.

3) find a torx-sided chicago screw (like the screw used in Dragonfly) instead of flat-headed one

I would use also some 'removable' loc-tite on the thread.
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

I did this too. I feel like the female end of the screw is just a *little* bit too small for a good fit in the D-shaped hole, which leads to this. I used a dremel to cut a slot into the other end so I can use a screwdriver to hold it in place. It's a clunky fix but it more or less works. Good thing I love my P3LW enough I'm not going to be trying to sell it.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Hey, Rouleur.
In a situation like that, you can sometimes push really hard on the smooth end of the fastener, and that will provide enough friction to hold it in place while you loosen the other side. If that fails, you can use a Dremel tool to cut a slot for a flat-blade screwdriver. Just be careful not to bugger up the handle.

Once you get the fastener out, if you have the slot for the flat blade screwdriver, all might be well. Another option is to fill the hole with JB Weld or similar hard epoxy, permanently fixing the fastener in place. You'll want to make sure it's in the correct location--not too deep, not too shallow, and on the correct side.

If you're feeling adventurous, you can do the same thing above with the epoxy, but first coat the fastener with release agent. This might allow you to remove the fastener after the epoxy sets up. Since the fastener is straight sided, it might not be easy.

My point is that there are a myriad of options for fixing the knife yourself. The easiest option, though, is to just call up Spyderco and request a return authorization. They fix knives every day, and can probably take care of yours.