Sprints You Have of Originals You Want

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wrdwrght

Sprints You Have of Originals You Want

Post by wrdwrght »

Most everyone has come here long after Spyderco found reason to discontinue many of its many models. A lot of missed-outs out there.

Fortunately, CQI has kept many models available in some iteration of new materials, features, production techniques. We regard them as classics.

From time to time, Spyderco revives discontinued models as sprints, themselves subject to CQI, and they, too, have come to be regarded classics.

Consider the Calypso (C54GPBN) and the Bob Lum (C46GGY) sprints (respectively, back and front in photo). Classics, each. I’ll not part with them. They’re as perfect as can be.

But, thanks to Yablanowitz talking-up his original Calypsos, and blueboost his original Bob Lum (C46TI), I must have the originals. I feel I’ve missed out on something. Maybe Moki’s heyday-micarta on the Calypso (C54BMP/C54BMS), maybe a truer Hamaguri grind on the Lum.

Other sprints of originals I have, like the Ayoob (C60G) leave me utterly content.

Any sprints of an original leave you also wanting the original?

Leave your comment as food for other’s thoughts. I’ll not be curating this thread.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
GarageBoy

Re: Sprints You Have of Originals You Want

Post by GarageBoy »

Terzuola Starmate, and the original Titanium ATR for me

Is the grind on the newer vg10 and hap40 tanto folders different than the original?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

GarageBoy wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:35 pm
Is the grind on the newer vg10 and hap40 tanto folders different than the original?
Blueboost says it is, and I recall he has both the original and the VG10 to compare.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I like the idea , I would be on board . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Chleiti

Post by Chleiti »

The Dodo. I got one of the BHQ M4 sprints secondhand and adore it, but my area is super humid and I wish I could have one in stainless that I didn't have to worry about so much.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

A few would agree with this. KJ Slysz Bowie.

The satin blade finish and easily marred blue anodized color just highlights how just awesome the superior stonewashed blade and bare titanium handle on the original release is.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't think I have many, or any, that fall into this category that I can think of. Maybe the Dyad, but sometimes I think the CQI is a welcomed change.

I think maybe I could say having a Centofante 3/4 has made me really want a Vesuvius, even though the Centofante 3 isn't a sprint run of the Vesuvius it's close enough to give me a little taste of what I'm missing. I would soooooooo love a SE Vesuvius sprint. Ugh.

I have snagged a few classic micarta models so in a way I skipped the sprint part of this question and went straight for the originals. If the models I bought had sprint versions I'm not sure I'd want them though because a big part of why I wanted them was for the vintage micarta. You could even say I'm more of a micarta collector than a knife collector in a way.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Danke

Post by Danke »

I would be the opposite like Evil D.

First I have more knives that I can reasonably use. Second the sprints are normally a functional and or materiel improvement over the original. So I don't really want another like I already have but maybe not as nice.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Lava