crucarta pm2 now shipping

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bleasure

Re: crucarta pm2 now shipping

Post by bleasure »

Chuck James wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:45 pm
A big thank you to SMKW. :cheap-sunglasses

gosh DARN she is handsome. looking at this made me remember I had a dream last night that my preorder price increased to $199

...does having stress dreams about knives mean I have a problem
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

•• Beau
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Crox wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:07 pm
dj moonbat wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:51 am
I'm not buying this one, since I could just buy micarta scales for my existing CruWear PM2 if I really wanted it that bad. But my, it looks nice. And that color combination will take on just the right amount of discoloration over time spent in a pocket. In a few years it will look even better.

Sal: please consider making micarta an alternate scale material for at least some of your G10 knives in perpetuity. It's got way too much character to be restricted to these incredibly rare sprints. I have to believe it would sell.

And having a Magna Carta series of knives? The marketing materials practically write themselves.
Hi. Just to clarify, this one IS regular production, not a sprint run. They’re just going fast because it’s new.

So it could be good news that other models will get this treatment in perpetuity some day.
I don't know how I could have missed this crucial detail. This is definitely one I'm happy to be wrong about; thanks for setting me straight!
z1r

Post by z1r »

This really is a one sweet knife. My Endela realy suits my EDC needs betterm but if I had a different job, this would probably be the knife I carried instead.
Frankie2blue

Post by Frankie2blue »

I just received mine and I am not as thrilled with it as some. After the long wait, I just am really disappointed in the way the cutout was handled and the feel of it. The edge of the scale which is exposed feels sharp and edgy and just feels fragile to me. I have to imagine that going on this will be a big wear spot that will rear it’s head in time. It does flex, which is funny as I thought this was supposed to be an even harder use knife than the regular PM2. Seems to me that there must have been a better way to handle this area of than what they did. That, and the action is very stiff on mine. I know it can be worked out, but why isn’t it dialed in right of the box like most of the others? I am more than likely packing this one back up and returning it in the morning.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

I bought a factory second crucarta PM2. After taking it apart to remedy the issues, I’ve got to say that this model by far is the most finicky to adjust to “just right”.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Rinzler wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:13 pm
I bought a factory second crucarta PM2. After taking it apart to remedy the issues, I’ve got to say that this model by far is the most finicky to adjust to “just right”.
I have to wonder if that is because it is a second? I say that because I bought a first and it was amazing out of the box. The seconds of this model I came across just seemed like they were seconds for a reason. Still, if you got one and it isn't fidgety, it is still a great knife. Great blade, great steel. Just MHO.

But I understand, my recent Para 3 purchase left me feeling less than happy. After some adjustments and breaking in, I feel very different. Maybe I was just too impatient?

Did you get yours "just right?"
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

Frankie2blue wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:38 pm
I just received mine and I am not as thrilled with it as some. After the long wait, I just am really disappointed in the way the cutout was handled and the feel of it. The edge of the scale which is exposed feels sharp and edgy and just feels fragile to me. I have to imagine that going on this will be a big wear spot that will rear it’s head in time. It does flex, which is funny as I thought this was supposed to be an even harder use knife than the regular PM2. Seems to me that there must have been a better way to handle this area of than what they did. That, and the action is very stiff on mine. I know it can be worked out, but why isn’t it dialed in right of the box like most of the others? I am more than likely packing this one back up and returning it in the morning.
I mean you can always send it my way if you wanted...

Without having handled one yet I don't have anything to add about the lock area construction, but I do wonder about that myself. I'd guess there was a reason, but it's not self-evident to me. That said, as far as hard use goes, flex does not = less strength. G10 is more rigid, but that doesn't intrinsically mean it's stronger or less likely to, say, snap. I imagine micarta would hold up to some kinds of uses or dings just as well or better. There's a reason people like it on outdoor knives so much, beyond the look and feel.

I guess I'm suggesting you sit on it for another day or two beyond the first flush, see if you warm to it. Another thing I've been thinking about these is if the edges are sharp, it's a LOT easier to attractively sand micarta down and chamfer it than it is G10, and I wouldn't mind putting my own touch on it if it came to it.
Big_Tex

Post by Big_Tex »

Smoky Mountain Knife Works

https://www.smkw.com/spyderco-para-mili ... wn-micarta

*update: out of stock as of last check at 4:52pm EST
Last edited by Big_Tex on Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bryan
Atlanta, GA
IG @BryanCBailey

Current pocket rotation:
Z-Wear/Micarta Shaman
Magnacut Native 5 LW
k390 Endela

:bug-red : 73 Spydies in the collection
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

z1r wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:29 pm
Rinzler wrote:
I have to wonder if that is because it is a second? I say that because I bought a first and it was amazing out of the box. The seconds of this model I came across just seemed like they were seconds for a reason. Still, if you got one and it isn't fidgety, it is still a great knife. Great blade, great steel. Just MHO.

But I understand, my recent Para 3 purchase left me feeling less than happy. After some adjustments and breaking in, I feel very different. Maybe I was just too impatient?

Did you get yours "just right?"
Oh absolutely I think the issues with the knife are due to it being a second. Many people here are very happy with their first quality knives of this model. But, I’ve had many seconds PM2’s and they all were simple to tweak to fix the issues. This one, of all PM2’s I’ve messed with, was the most difficult to get anywhere near a state that I consider usable.

Currently, it’s not “just right” to my taste but it will have to be good enough.

If anyone has issues with their crucarta PM2, I suggest you take a closer inspection of the detent and stop pin screw tension. That’s assuming you’re capable to make adjustments and comfortable doing so.
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

Rinzler wrote:
I picked up a factory 2nd CruCarta PM2 on Saturday too. Like the Copper PM2 (which I also got as a 2nd), this CruCarta PM2 with the full liners has a captive pivot. In design, it's similar to the original CRK Sebenza pivot which required a pivot bushing, except that this design does not. Therefore, if the pivot "boss" is slightly too narrow, the knife blade will get pinched too tightly between the copper washers. In this case, if the copper pivot washers aren't *just* the right thickness, the blade will be tight no matter how loose the pivot screws are set up. I think this was the case with many of the 2nds at the sale, some were definitely worse than others. There IS a way to fix this, however...

To remedy the tight action on the one I got (this is one way CRK used to tune their action), I carefully sanded off 0.0005" from each washer (I measured my pivot washers at 0.010" before the work) with 800-grit wet/dry SiC sandpaper. Had to test the action a couple of times, but that 0.001" difference is all it took to make it feel like a totally different knife! Now the action is perfect with the pivot screws just barely snugged, leaving me room to tighten it up as it wears in.

HTH! ;)
"Engineers don't idle well."

Thank you to our Veterans!
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

SpyderPhreak wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:23 pm
Rinzler wrote:
I picked up a factory 2nd CruCarta PM2 on Saturday too. Like the Copper PM2 (which I also got as a 2nd), this CruCarta PM2 with the full liners has a captive pivot. In design, it's similar to the original CRK Sebenza pivot which required a pivot bushing, except that this design does not. Therefore, if the pivot "boss" is slightly too narrow, the knife blade will get pinched too tightly between the copper washers. In this case, if the copper pivot washers aren't *just* the right thickness, the blade will be tight no matter how loose the pivot screws are set up. I think this was the case with many of the 2nds at the sale, some were definitely worse than others. There IS a way to fix this, however...

To remedy the tight action on the one I got (this is one way CRK used to tune their action), I carefully sanded off 0.0005" from each washer (I measured my pivot washers at 0.010" before the work) with 800-grit wet/dry SiC sandpaper. Had to test the action a couple of times, but that 0.001" difference is all it took to make it feel like a totally different knife! Now the action is perfect with the pivot screws just barely snugged, leaving me room to tighten it up as it wears in.

HTH! ;)
Great information. I think this might fix the knife to how I want it. I have the sandpaper and dial calipers so I should be able to try this out tomorrow.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

•• Beau
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

I think I'm officially retiring my Crucarta PM2 tabs today. I hope everybody here that wanted one, got one!
•• Beau
attila

Post by attila »

Buddafucco wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:29 am
I think I'm officially retiring my Crucarta PM2 tabs today. I hope everybody here that wanted one, got one!
Thank you for your diligent efforts to help this community!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Crox

Post by Crox »

Buddafucco wrote:
Yes - big thanks for the effort and time you dedicate.
Big_Tex

Post by Big_Tex »

Buddafucco wrote:
Thanks so much! I was able to get one! Happy Thanksgiving!
Bryan
Atlanta, GA
IG @BryanCBailey

Current pocket rotation:
Z-Wear/Micarta Shaman
Magnacut Native 5 LW
k390 Endela

:bug-red : 73 Spydies in the collection
z1r

Post by z1r »

attila wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:46 am
Buddafucco wrote:
Thank you for your diligent efforts to help this community!
Yes, you helped me find one and that is much appreciated!
bts327

Post by bts327 »

Buddafucco wrote:
Amazing effort Buddafucco. I’ve been in on numerous drops for all sorts of different items and your posts were the most helpful I’ve ever seen.

Thanks man!
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

thanks dude, i really appreciated your efforts, and your browser's energy consumption. seeing that made me snag what i think may have been the last one from National, unless I hear otherwise about the order status. guess I'm cancelling that ~year old KC order after all. just turned my dissertation in too, so i can have this, as a treat. the poetry of it all