Optimal inclusive angle for S110V

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Soanso McMasters

Re: Optimal inclusive angle for S110V

Post by Soanso McMasters »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:44 pm
Soanso McMasters wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:06 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:31 pm
This guy goes from wondering what knives are "flickie" last week to wondering what angle to grind S110V at, of all steels. That's a wild turn.
I have plenty of knife experience, just none whatsoever with Spyderco. I like flickie knives and I like good steels, but Spyderco offers such a wide array that I’ve never used before. I’ve come here in ignorance of Spyderco knives both in terms of mechanical function and in terms of certain steels. That’s why I am asking lots of questions. To learn. I presume this is an acceptable use of this forum?
Just saying it's quite a difference. Most around here don't care or talk much about flickie stuff because it's not really what the knife is for...and then going into sharpening/reprofiling something like S110V is the complete opposite end of the spectrum. Like going from novice to expert in a video game difficulty level. That's all.
I’ll be asking plenty more questions. Any and all advice is much appreciated. I just picked up a pair of Para 3s and I suspect my wife and son are going to get me the blurple 110v Para 3 for my birthday coming up, so I want to know just what I can get away with given my particular usage, should my suspicions prove correct.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

If it is the blurple s110v Para 3 you'll get and then use, a friend bought one of them when they were released. It was hard to keep it at 30 inclusive without chipping the edge.
What he/we ended up doing is reverting back to the 17 per side / 34 inclusive.

I guess we still have to take into account that the heat treat varies between specific knives. So each knife has it's limits. Same goes for use, some people only mention the stuff they are cutting, but there's also the way to cut it. Lots of people experiencing chipping are cutting with some lateral pressure, wich is pretty violent on these steels.
It's something that can really only be experienced for the one knife you have, and then you find what is working for you ^^.

Don't stop yourself from trying stuff with the edge, it might be a golden (Colorado U.S.A. Earth) egg !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

I will use with the factory edge first and might just stay at 40 if it performs well there, which I suspect it will. Thanks to everyone.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Little post-scriptum : My Para 3s in g10 came with an angle of approx 17° per side btw.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I really don't sharpen my S110V blade any different than I would an M390 blade. I grind in the relief at 15 degrees and do the final edge at 20 degrees and I've had great luck that way. The steels I mostly use at the 15 degree setting are VG-10, AUS-8 and a few of the other oldies.

For me it's been something that I just have to experiment with on each and ever blade steel to get the desired results. Bottom line it's just whichever works best for you and the work you do. I treat S110V about the same as I do with ZDP-189 and I also sharpen M-4 about the same angle as well.