About that cardboard cutting...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ykspydiefan

About that cardboard cutting...

Post by ykspydiefan »

It's all another plan, perpetrated by the man, to make cardboard cutting pointless.

IMG_20211018_143553847.jpg

Sure, I like cutting cardboard as much as the next guy with a knife. Our city bins have 6 foot wide openings. There really is no need to cut anything to make it fit. Even a little boot stomp will break it down enough. The only needed cutting is to cut the tape to fold the box.

I do not like doing things that I know are practically useless. And, I still like cutting.

Embroiled in the conflicts of modern life. Currently, I am getting my cutting fix in sharpening wooden stakes. Halloween is near and the need for vampire slaying tools can not be understated.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
z1r

Re: About that cardboard cutting...

Post by z1r »

:squinting-tongue
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

We LOVE cardboard here!

15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have never needed to cut up my cardboard nor have I ever understood the knife communities obsession with it. Our recycling dumpster can accept big pieces.

I have a wood furnace for heat so for six months of the year it all goes in there. In the summer we have a fire in the backyard most weekends and I just throw it all in the bonfire.

I am an avid recycler of glass, metal and plastic but life is too busy to not just burn all my cardboard.

As much as I like cutting stuff I am glad I don’t have to break down all my boxes to fit them in a little bin and if I did I would probably just use a box cutter.
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I usually try to cut it up into nice bundles and tie it up and use it for back yard fire pit fun.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DrHE

Post by DrHE »

The only time I really cut it in strips is if it’s a PITA to get out of my office or of home just due to size.
M.N.O.S.D. 0031
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Y'all are spoiled with your fancy big recycling bins and fire pits. I have neither. I have to cut my cardboard into small pieces if I want more than 3-4 regular size boxes or 1 large box to fit in the bin.

70 knives in the house and I'm going to use a box cutter?
Never :winking-tongue
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:56 am
I have never needed to cut up my cardboard nor have I ever understood the knife communities obsession with it.
I've long wondered the same thing, but I wasn't going to be the little kid to stand up and proclaim "The Emperor has no clothes!"

The only time I care about cutting cardboard is when I open a box of beer. I drink ales, which shouldn't be served at refrigerator temps, so I keep beer in the closet under the stairs. I set the box down, then slice the top off the box. It's really important that the knife is razor sharp, because grabbing a beer out of a box with crooked or ragged edges would be really upsetting. REX45 or K390 are the undisputed best steels for cutting the tops off beer boxes.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

No recycling or giant bins here. It pretty much has to go out with the trash. Which means big enough boxes need to get cut.

As far as that first pic goes.
Do people really not throw matches down in there and light it on fire?
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

VooDooChild wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:48 am

As far as that first pic goes.
Do people really not throw matches down in there and light it on fire?
Stop giving the delinquents bad ideas 🤣

20211021_142121.jpg
~David
James Y

Post by James Y »

I also don’t have a giant recycling bin where I live. I would have to take all my cardboard a mile down the road, to an alley behind some businesses. The only bin I have is a trash can-sized receptacle on wheels for my own household. And the cardboard does need to be cut into pieces that all fit into it; if it’s sticking out far enough over the top, the recycle truck guys won’t take it.

But I don’t obsessively cut cardboard that doesn’t need to be.

Jim
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Our town provides us with a pretty big recycling bin that gets emptied each week. So I really don't have a need to cut up cardboard but I still do it. I used to do it weekly just for the fun of it (haha). The past 6 months or so have been pretty busy at home so I've gotten away from it. I'll still cut up a box here and there with whatever knife I have in my pocket but I won't stand in my garage and cut up everything like I used to.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I can't just throw cardboard in the trash. They won't pick it up! Has to be in a bag, so I let it accumulate and then Sunday, when I do the trash for Monday, comes, I cut it all down and put it all in a bag that goes in the bin. It's fun to see if my edges will stand up to it.

Would recycle it, but I don't even think there is anywhere close where I am. And I don't have a truck or anything to load it all up. Just a hatchback!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Wow... Surprised with so many places that don't recycle cardboard :O
James Y

Post by James Y »

tonijedi wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:22 pm
Wow... Surprised with so many places that don't recycle cardboard :O

I always recycle whatever I can, whenever I can, almost obsessively. The blue trash can-sized bin I have is strictly for recyclables; the trash goes into a separate black container.

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

We have 2 cans, and a separate bin for recycling. Allegedly I can place out 4 boxes for recycling OUTSIDE of the bins. As far as I know they are not limited in size. I usually put most of the small/medium sized boxes in the recycling bin.

I don't even use my knives to cut the tape on the boxes that I fold up. I use a junk knife. Always have to have a knife that cuts on me for self defense.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

You can learn a lot about a knife by cutting up cardboard and you don’t have to go overboard with it either.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Cardboard isn't as annoying as all of the hair cutting shenanigans you see lately. :woozy
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I figured a lot of us cut cardboard because it's a common material that's easily accessible that's similar enough that we can all use it for edge and steel testing purposes. Even though there's a bunch of variables in what a "cardboard box" really is and what it's made of, most of it is similar enough to give us a rough idea of how steel performs.
~David
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I cut cardboard to have something to cut, really. I could find excuses/reasons but my actual motive is to cut stuff with ma knaf.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds