Cobra Hood Sprint variants?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you be interested in Sprint runs that feature the Cobra Hood added to popular models?

Absolutely
48%
Nopesolutely
36%
Other
15%

Total votes: 33

Snacktime

Re: Cobra Hood Sprint variants?

Post by Snacktime »

The Deacon wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:57 pm
My point, exactly. To my eyes, the Stretch is the vastly improved version of the A.T.R. due to it having a hand neutral lock, a full flat grind, a larger Spyderhole, and not having a cobra hood.
I agree on the Stretch being a vastly improved ATR, however I do find the cobra hood to be the best part of the ATR. I really dislike thumb studs and find the cobra hood to serve the same function while being less catching on gloves and clothing. I feel like this thread is asking for the best thumb stud spyderco.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

vivi wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:39 am
I'd support this. Cobra hood is one of Spydercos great ideas that isn't utilized enough IMO. I also feel that way about internal stop pins on lockbacks, like the chap.
Yes! The knives the the Seki lineup are virtually perfect, but internal stop pins would really be the cherry on top. I suspect it wouldn't be feasible with the Ladybug or even the dragonfly, but for the Delica onwards it seems ideal.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I can’t really say yet, but I’d be interested to see how things turn out if the hood got added to some popular models. Doesn’t seem much different from the waved varieties in that manner.
However, I think it’s best implemented on a design that is specifically intended to benefit from it. Meaning a unique model dedicated to bringing out the cobra hood’s functionality like a Salsa or ATR.

I’ve coincidentally thought up some new ideas about this very concept, but haven’t gotten around to sketching them on paper.
I was thinking hawkbills or wharncliffes would pair well with the hood.

It’s actually pretty similar to the thumb support feature of the Zoomer fixed blade.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I voted other . I would rather have a model specific with the hood . I have the last run of the ATR and also had the first two . The hood to me was a very well thought out idea and still is in my opinion . A sprint run of a model already being produced may be a tall order and also may be a cost factor to all the way to the end user . I think it is a novel idea and it would definitely have the cool and rare thing going for it but that may be enough , I’m just not sure if it would fly . Regards MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I voted "Other," because I believe the Cobra Hood could be turned into a simple accessory which could be mounted to any Spyderco, much the way 5x5 Combat Solutions does their Pickpocket Exo-ccessory™.

I guess they would need a couple variants, to accomodate different sized spydie-holes.

I don't need one, but I can clearly see the utility for specific use cases.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Cold Steel did a "take" on the Cobra Hood that also functioned as a Wave. Unlike Spyderco's approach to officially licensing the Wave concept from Ernie Emerson, I believe their approach was a "sidestep." The Wave patent is now expired, but I'm still not sure we'd want to emulate this...

Stay safe,

Mike
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I voted "absolutely"!! I'm one of the guys who actually liked the Cobra Hood feature on a few select models. My titanium version of the Salsa with ATS-34 blade steel ( a super hard one to find now a days) along with my titanium ATR models were among my all time favorites with the Cobra Hood.

Titanium handles and Cobra Hoods went together like bacon & eggs. Also on my original ASSIST I model with the glassbreaker I find the Cobra Hood to be ideal for those types of uses.