Speculative 2022 Discontinued List Discussion Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Karl_H

Re: Speculative 2022 Discontinued List Discussion Thread

Post by Karl_H »

The cast 440c was interesting, but I would like to see the Serrata come back in a tougher steel.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

The whole intention in doing the original Serrata was using investment casting for the steel.
Another steel was not considered, and David Boye had proved that cast 440C was cutting like it did because of the dendrites.

Using a cold or hot rolled steel would mean that it is just a Serrata shaped knife.

I made three Serrata shaped knives, using "normal" steel...two in VG10 and one in 12C27, which Sal owns.
They were called the VeGratta series... the V and G from the VG10 steel used.

The 12C27 was ordered by Sal, so truly a one-off!

Thanks to all the folk that chose a Spyderco Serrata over the years...

Enjoy!
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:22 am
The whole intention in doing the original Serrata was using investment casting for the steel.
Another steel was not considered, and David Boye had proved that cast 440C was cutting like it did because of the dendrites.

Using a cold or hot rolled steel would mean that it is just a Serrata shaped knife.

I made three Serrata shaped knives, using "normal" steel...two in VG10 and one in 12C27, which Sal owns.

Enjoy!

Hi Stuart,

Is an interesting one, thank you for this!

It cuts like a chainsaw, if you effortlessly want to chop off your fingers this is the one to get, I am afraid to pass the finger across the edge, it will draw blood.

This is a steel for knives that are made to cut, not for pry bars or chopping wood.

I didn't get the blade thickness decision, 6 mm is a bit much, still will effortlessly cut thru meat and fibrous materials

Sad to see this Cast 440C project going nowhere, rainbow color exclusives are the norm now.

VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:

Enjoy!
Hey Stuart, the Serrata (spydercos version) always caught my eye but I put off getting one until last week when I got one at a discounted price.

I wish I had gotten one sooner. It has easily one of the best handles I have ever felt. I also like the shape, size, blade shape, etc...

However, I do want a forward finger guard, and I would be fine with "normal" steel in a thinner blade stock. (And if Im really being picky I guess a lanyard hole as well)

Do you make a knife like that?

Because I really think a modified serrata would be the perfect knife for me.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
archangel

Post by archangel »

Let's have the official list now, so the clearance sales can commence and everybody knows. :)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
vivi

Post by vivi »

The more I read about cast 440C the more I think I should go with a serrata instead of a sustain. Cast 440C seems like it'd be perfect for me since I run my regular steels with very coarse, microserrated edges.
:unicorn
Stuart Ackerman

Buy both... :)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Smart man ;)
:unicorn
Karl_H

Post by Karl_H »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:

Enjoy!
I really like your designs and totally respect the decision to go with investment cast 440C for the Serratta.

Speaking for myself, the the thickness of the blade and weight of the knife were dealbreakers for me, despite the fact that I love everything else about the knife (except for the lack of thumb ramps from the handle to the ricasso).

I do think that a Serrata shaped knife, which is thinner and lighter, would potentially have broader appeal (especially if thumb ramps are included!). Something like laminated K390 / Maxamet with a toothy grind could potentially continue the legacy of the Serratta. You could also take it in another direction, like using VG10, SPY27, or LC200N with serrations.
Stuart Ackerman

I experimented with Elmax and 12c27 and they were not as efficient at 440C. (Expensive trials!!!)
My versions of the Serrata were/are thinner and an 0.5mm edge before sharpening.
The scales also cover the ricasso area.
The makers chose what ended up as the Spydie version, as my grind was too hard for them to replicate.
linuxology

Post by linuxology »

Brouwer is a great knife. Also 440c is fantastic when the heat treat is done right, which we know Spyderco has it nailed.
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:33 pm
Buy both... :)
I did; Serrata a few years ago where it quickly became one of my favorite camping/outdoors knives, Sustain last week. Even though it's not a design I felt like I had much use for, an early closeout sale was too much to resist... did not expect the handle to be as slim as it is.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

So we still don't know if there will be any price cuts on discontinued models this year? I'm assuming there won't be many, if any. I would like to try the Brouwer but I don't think I'll pull the trigger unless the price drops.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

ABX2011 wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:04 pm
So we still don't know if there will be any price cuts on discontinued models this year? I'm assuming there won't be many, if any. I would like to try the Brouwer but I don't think I'll pull the trigger unless the price drops.

I’m in the same boat as you, that is, getting a discontinued Brouwer at a discounted price. I like the Brouwer a lot better at $150 than $189. If it doesn’t happen that’s all right too.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

What are the odds the list above is legit? No one has seen any price drops yet, right?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:57 pm
What are the odds the list above is legit? No one has seen any price drops yet, right?
BHQ has them listed as "discontinued" and NewGrahamKnives has offered discounts on some of the models on this list.
-Nick :bug-red
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Technically the price drops aren't supposed to happen until January, right?
•• Beau
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

In the past, when the Discontinued List was published (September to November) many dealers would make big announcements on their website and via email with associated discounts.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

White Mountain Knives dropped the price on the Brouwer. You can also use coupon LTK for an additional 10% off.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Buddafucco wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:16 pm
Technically the price drops aren't supposed to happen until January, right?
January is usually when the prices will rise. :-|| At least that has been the trend for the past few years.

Usually there will be a thread here announcing the discontinued models. We haven't got that this year yet though, we've only got the list that looks like it was leaked. The header on that list reading "Effective January 1, 2022, MAP pricing no longer applicable on THESE items" seems to indicate that the some dealers may wait until that time to offer the discounts.

Who knows...? It's been a weird year.
-Nick :bug-red